Clemson Postgame

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
Two quick things....I know these have probably already been discussed in other threads, but I haven't run across them.

I don't think we beat Clemson regardless of a couple of breaks, but there are two plays that still bother me:

1) In the 2nd quarter at the Clemson 36 yard line, if CGC doesn't call a TO and we convert the 4th down, does the first half look different? At the time, it was 21-0. We probably get points, maybe only a FG, but we get something. I'm still not sure why he called it...THEN....

2) On the next series we have the Swilling pick. I have no idea why he didn't cut back on the return and treat Trevor Lawrence like Roberto Aguayo and score, but that is not the part that bothered me. On our 3rd down play, we score a TD, but the ref said the ball was never whistled into play. Why? On the replay, it looks like the Referee, Center Ref, and Umpire had all backed away from the ball for several seconds and they were all standing still and looking at the snap. Why the whistle?? The never talked about it on the awful broadcast, but it was a weird play.

If both of those breaks go the other way and we go into the half 21-10 or 28-10, I wonder if we wouldn't be judging the game a little differently. Just sayin'.......

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i think the flinch during the muffed punt was a game breaker. even minor contact would have given us the ball an 15 yards. at that point it was 0-0. clemson would still have beat us but i think it would have been alot closer.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
i think the flinch during the muffed punt was a game breaker. even minor contact would have given us the ball an 15 yards. at that point it was 0-0. clemson would still have beat us but i think it would have been alot closer.
It was interference...if you let that go you will have players jumping infront of player every game

Animal02

Banned
Two quick things....I know these have probably already been discussed in other threads, but I haven't run across them.

I don't think we beat Clemson regardless of a couple of breaks, but there are two plays that still bother me:

1) In the 2nd quarter at the Clemson 36 yard line, if CGC doesn't call a TO and we convert the 4th down, does the first half look different? At the time, it was 21-0. We probably get points, maybe only a FG, but we get something. I'm still not sure why he called it...THEN....

2) On the next series we have the Swilling pick. I have no idea why he didn't cut back on the return and treat Trevor Lawrence like Roberto Aguayo and score, but that is not the part that bothered me. On our 3rd down play, we score a TD, but the ref said the ball was never whistled into play. Why? On the replay, it looks like the Referee, Center Ref, and Umpire had all backed away from the ball for several seconds and they were all standing still and looking at the snap. Why the whistle?? The never talked about it on the awful broadcast, but it was a weird play.

If both of those breaks go the other way and we go into the half 21-10 or 28-10, I wonder if we wouldn't be judging the game a little differently. Just sayin'.......
The refs whistle the ready to ball . Simple as that Tech got lucky because it is a 5 yard delay of game penalty .

"No player shall put the ball in play before it is ready for play. (A.R. 4-1-4:I and II)
PENALTY –
Dead-ball foul for delay of game. Five yards from the succeeding spot [S21]."

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan

They good

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Swlling would have had to be a ballet dancer to even attempt a cutback on the pick. There are all kinds of things about mass and velocity and objects in motion, but he was a 20-pound man hurtling fullspeed down the sideline while another 200-pound man also at full speed, took the angle that at those speeds Swilling could not reverse or even attempt it. So we got two great plays out of one, a goal line stand to end all stands -- four shots from two yards? -- followed by a long TD drive. Put them all together and you might have just seen this Clemson team come together.

The only play I question was the option run/pass thing on fourth down, with a QB who just can't do that sort of thing. It seemed to me on 4th and goal, time to challenge the team to man up and get that yard against an inexperienced Clemson D line, Collins blinked. (Yeah, yeah. I know. That was his OC. Which means that was Collins.)

Animal02

Banned
Swlling would have had to be a ballet dancer to even attempt a cutback on the pick. There are all kinds of things about mass and velocity and objects in motion, but he was a 20-pound man hurtling fullspeed down the sideline while another 200-pound man also at full speed, took the angle that at those speeds Swilling could not reverse or even attempt it. So we got two great plays out of one, a goal line stand to end all stands -- four shots from two yards? -- followed by a long TD drive. Put them all together and you might have just seen this Clemson team come together.

The only play I question was the option run/pass thing on fourth down, with a QB who just can't do that sort of thing. It seemed to me on 4th and goal, time to challenge the team to man up and get that yard against an inexperienced Clemson D line, Collins blinked. (Yeah, yeah. I know. That was his OC. Which means that was Collins.)
Four plays to get two yards, and the new staff....all geniuses according to some try gimmicks instead of punching it in. I hope that is not a sign of thing to come in the future.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Four plays to get two yards, and the new staff....all geniuses according to some try gimmicks instead of punching it in. I hope that is not a sign of thing to come in the future.

Does everything have to be about the coaching comparison? Last year this group of kids under the old regime lost 49 - 21 at home. Under the new coaching staff with pretty much the same roster it was 52 - 14 on the road. I know that this isn't popular around here, but maybe both staffs, while having different strengths and weaknesses, are about the same? (I know about drawing conclusions from a sample size of 1). So maybe we would have scored last year under Paul's scheme. But, at the end of the day, does it really matter?? That touchdown was not the difference in the game. Maybe the issue really isn't scheme...perhaps it's the Jimmies and Joes? And the new guy seems to understand this and is trying to upgrade our effectiveness in this area.

Deleted member 2897

We had 4 turnovers. 3 were inside our own red zone and the 4th was in their end zone. That’s a 28 point swing. We would not have beat Clemson, all I’m saying is the 52-14 is not a fair representation of the game. We had 300 yards of offense, when we’ve averaged 200 the previous several years, including a low of 120.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We had 4 turnovers. 3 were inside our own red zone and the 4th was in their end zone. That’s a 28 point swing. We would not have beat Clemson, all I’m saying is the 52-14 is not a fair representation of the game. We had 300 yards of offense, when we’ve averaged 200 the previous several years, including a low of 120.

I agree with you. I saw "some things" too in the game. My frustration is the continual Paul vs. Geoff debates. It was the same with CPJ vs CCG. I don't know why things always sink to this. I liked Paul. Was glad he was here. But he's not anymore so I am pulling for our new coach to be succesful. I will root as well for the coach after Geoff if I'm still on this side of the ground.

Animal02

Banned
Does everything have to be about the coaching comparison? Last year this group of kids under the old regime lost 49 - 21 at home. Under the new coaching staff with pretty much the same roster it was 52 - 14 on the road. I know that this isn't popular around here, but maybe both staffs, while having different strengths and weaknesses, are about the same? (I know about drawing conclusions from a sample size of 1). So maybe we would have scored last year under Paul's scheme. But, at the end of the day, does it really matter?? That touchdown was not the difference in the game. Maybe the issue really isn't scheme...perhaps it's the Jimmies and Joes? And the new guy seems to understand this and is trying to upgrade our effectiveness in this area.
There was no coaching comparison in my post. YOU chose to make one.

Animal02

Banned
I agree with you. I saw "some things" too in the game. My frustration is the continual Paul vs. Geoff debates. It was the same with CPJ vs CCG. I don't know why things always sink to this. I liked Paul. Was glad he was here. But he's not anymore so I am pulling for our new coach to be succesful. I will root as well for the coach after Geoff if I'm still on this side of the ground.
You are the only one who has brought up CPJ in this thread.....making a strawman to knock down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

As soon as he was knocked out of bounds at the 2 I thought "OH ****, WE AIN'T GONNA SCORE...."