Clemson Postgame Discussion

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
When Clemson's defensive linemen were doing choreographed dancing while waiting for play to resume after TV breaks, you knew Tech's offense was in trouble...

Milwaukee

Banned
When Clemson's defensive linemen were doing choreographed dancing while waiting for play to resume after TV breaks, you knew Tech's offense was in trouble...

They always do that. In 08 they were dancing before a 3rd and 18 when we were backed up on our own ten. We ran a simple dive and Dwyer took it for about 30 and a first down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Embarrassing my ***. Embarrassing is what Penn State did to a supposedly top tier Michigan last week.
Had we beaten UT and UM and come in ranked top 10, then it would have been embarrassing. Oh well, I guess we won't be hearing "they've only lost two games by a total of two points..." anymore.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This will be a grow up game for TM. Here is what happened IMO: The DE for Clemson is super athletic and has a lot of speed. Sometimes he took the BB sometimes he played the QB. He crashed hard toward the BB, but on plays where he took the QB he turned upfield quickly. Early TM thought he was taking the BB and pulled the ball. He then got ran over by the DE. Paul started just handing it off to force the DE to take the BB, and then went back to the TO. At this point I don’t think TM could clearly read the DE and lost some confidence in his decision making. It was down hill from there.

Other teams have tried the same thing, but the speed was the difference for Clemson. When we tried to block the De he frequently shot the gap and disrupted the play anyway.

FWIW I think CPJ had a good plan. He knew the DE was going to be hard to block so we were going to try to read him on option plays.
You forgot to mention that DT that was paying rent in our backfield.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I really like TDR for his instinct and his ability to Not get" totally blocked". He made a great read on a run and plugged the hole but got trucked. As on every play i watch him , he is up and hustling. As he gets stronger, he will make lots of plays. I was worried he was a coach son pick, but he is a player.
IMO 51 played injured. Hope he recovers to full speed.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
The Georgia offense confuses me. It's seems incredibly predictable, yet nobody is stopping it. Maybe the competition is just bad? ND did do a good job slowing it up I guess.

The Clemson defense scares me a lot more than uga. Clemson will be by far the worse matchup we face all year defensively.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Last night's ref was Jeff Maconaghy. He made Bleacher Report's top 20 epic referee fails in ANY sport:

This epic referee fail during the 2013 Outback Bowl didn't get much attention because of the even more epic play that followed it.

The story of the game ended up being the bone-crushing hit South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney laid on Michigan running back Vincent Smith—which forced a game-changing fumble.

But the real story is that the play never should have even happened because on the previous play, the Wolverines were obviously short on a fourth-down attempt.

It was very close, but the measurement revealed they had just missed it. So, naturally, referee Jeff Maconaghy awarded a first down to Michigan.

Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier was livid, the announcers were stunned, and the players were all confused. Spurrier recounted the conversation he had with an official after the call:

Spurrier: "You know the ball didn't touch the first-down marker?"
Official: "I know it didn't."
Spurrier: "Well, why'd he give it to 'em?"
Official: "I don't know."

Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Infin

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’m confused why we didn’t run the follow plays with Taquon. I was a little heated, so I may just not remember correctly, but I don’t think we ran a single follow or midline play with Taquon. I actually think that’s one of the best ways to counter that overly aggressive defensive strategy that they were throwing at us.

Maybe we called them but he didn't hit the hole?

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
When teams like Clemson have 2 weeks to prepare for GT it is bad news for us. Clemson has a very talented defense. I have said for 8 years we need to have at least 10-15% of our offense something other than the TO!
Defense played great in the 2nd half!
Our punter is a beast!

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone talks like I was suggesting we bench Marshall for the remainder of the year. Far from it, if you saw the look on his face then you saw he was shell shocked and needed a breather to refocus. But, this should have happened early second quarter.

If you couldn't see that Taquon was making terrible reads, and then was hestitant when he was carrying the ball, and generally looking lost, I don't know what to tell you. No, the O-line wasn't helping him, but when he randomly guessed right, Benson would make progress, so they weren't totally to blame.

There's also no telling how long Jordan would have been successful. Here's what WAS clear, he wasn't shell shocked and he made good reads and runs before getting hurt. I also think his skill set and the plays coach calls for him were better suited to combat what Clemson was doing on defense.

If Johnson could have called plays for Jordan and let Tevin help Taquon get is mind back right, then put him back in. He's definitely our best overall QB.

Heck, in the post game even Johnson said HE himself didn't have a good game cause he wasn't coaching Taquon up very well.

I was expecting basically this result leading up to the game, and everyone wanted to give me crap about not being positive. Now that what I expected happened, people want to say I'm crazy for thinking we could have done better. I don't think Clemson is SO much ridiculously better than us that we never had a chance. We DID have a chance, but we needed PJ and Roof to be more on top of their games from start and maximize the pieces they had available.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Clemson was putting 8 or 9 guys in the box and daring us to throw it. We just are a one dimensional team by choice. They were blowing the gaps and our OL couldn't get a body on them. Until we can pass block better and at least develop some sort of passing game , we will never be an elite team. Their DL was just a lot better than our OL. It is what it is. TM needs to get better passing for starters and we need better pass blocking. I am still proud of our players and how they represent our school.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Clemson had an extra week of prep for us, has exceptional talent and depth and they beat us soundly at their home field. If we had their players and a bye week etc wouldn’t we expect the same?
In my eyes we are clearly much better on defense this year and our offense will be tough for all future opponents to stop. This is a good team. Looking forward to a win next week.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Well they stack the box because they know they live in our backfield. Two negative plays and they know a pass is coming on third and long as fuuuuuudge. And we all know how good we are at pass blocking. So you tell me what happens next... Hate to say it but I’m over this coach. The option is fun. It’s just a combination of things that make it painful on nights like last night. If we had top notch athletes then yeah it would work better. But we don’t. We can’t. Everything about Tech football and being a Tech fan is excruciatingly frustrating. Correct me if I’m wrong about the previous sentence.