1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Clemson Postgame Discussion

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by CuseJacket, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Madison Grant

Madison Grant Helluva Engineer

Everything about getting athletically dominated by teams like Clemson and UGAg is excruciatingly frustrating. That was last night. But everything about winning games like last year against VT and UGAg, despite the fact they have all the advantages they do, is extremely satisfying. It's a balance. Hard to blame the option when things have actually been slightly better than they were under the conventional offenses of Gailey and O'Leary. Yes, it was nice to beat UGAg under O'Leary, and knock off Auburn and Miami under Gailey. But that was always spoiled by the inexplicable losses to Wake, Virginia and Maryland.

UgaBlows likes this.
  2. Boomergump

Boomergump Moderator Staff Member

I was surprised we didn't run a bunch of midline last night. By now you all probably think I am blindly in love with that play. However, when I see really good DTs slanting so fast and blowing up stuff on the interior and us not able to cut them off, it screams for the midline. We have made hay before with midline against them. To me, it seems basically clear. If you can't block them, option them off. For one, it seems to me, the midline read is not as easy to fake the QB if you are the defender. TW and JN both used to crush tigger soul with that play. Heck, last night when MJ came in and just ran follow plays, it was pretty successful. If we were to add the option concept to that basic play it would at least force them to make an adjustment that might open up other stuff. I am interested as to how some of you feel about this.

3. StingU2

StingU2 Ramblin' Wreck

Dabo took his starters out in the 4th quarter.

4. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

I'll say it I love that play. I just don't like to see the QB take the A-backs lane.

5. Augusta_Jacket

Augusta_Jacket Helluva Engineer

He took his starters out on the final drive of the 4th quarter.

Animal02 likes this.
  6. GTL

GTL Ramblin' Wreck

In addition to what Ibee pointed out (nowhere for a short pass with 8 in the box), the pitch is GT's short passing game. and a short passing game would have worked no better Saturday than the pitch did.

7. ATL1

ATL1 Helluva Engineer

Don't believe that. A forward quick pass gains yards at reception. A pitch toss would place the ball in the backfield. Teams attack 8 man fronts by passing all the time.

8. BobintheATL99

BobintheATL99 Helluva Engineer

I'm torn. Was there in person, skimmed through it when editing it. It wasn't a horrible game to watch in person if you could stay dry /humblebrag. We got eaten alive on offense against a serious talent deficiency. I'd give high marks to the D on how they played with what they were given. Punting was a huge part of the game for us and likely kept it from becoming an absolute blow out.

9. wvGT11

wvGT11 Helluva Engineer

Post Practice presser and recap.
    Missed assignments everywhere and CPJ said he could have done better to prep them especially for the up tempo

Pretty good explanation from CPJ

10. Tech93

Tech93 Helluva Engineer

Totally agree. I was saying in the chat on game night by the middle of the 1st quarter that he needed a big body like MJ to run downhill with the midline against a D like Clemson. I like Taquan but his skill set is not well suited against that kind of D. Hopefully coach will use this as a calling card for our game against VT.

11. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

Agree and lesson learned. Coach said he should have played MJ in the first half.