Clemson Post-game Thread

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

I saw this in the UL game. I was excited because he seemed to be lighting it up leading up to the season starting.

Was hoping he just tweaked it. Happened right in our sideline so the game didn’t stop but it looked nasty in real time.

Based on how he was tackled and his reaction it looked like a knee. I’m going off memory though.

Speedy recovery young man!

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Branding really only matters in recruiting. The 2020 class was a great class by our standards. If we can keep getting classes like that or better then I think you can say massive success but currently the 2021 class is less than stellar and I question how well he is going to recruit in the future if we don't improve our on the field performance. It would actually be interesting to see how well he could recruit if he had a winning program to back him up.

I agree we need to start winning for it to continue to matter. I think you can have watched the game this past Saturday (as ugly as it was) and see that it’s working though.

The one announcer (Orvlowsky I believe) said many times he’s buying what Collins is selling. Look at Pat McAfee. There are many national media types that are speaking about GT in a light they haven’t in a long time. Even in 2014 we were somebody nobody wanted to play, but it wasn’t talked about like we were building something special. At least not nationally.

I believe the wins will come. As early as this weekend in fact. I think next year we will be above .500 and Sims 3rd year as the starter has a chance to be really good.

Deleted member 2897

Branding really only matters in recruiting. The 2020 class was a great class by our standards. If we can keep getting classes like that or better then I think you can say massive success but currently the 2021 class is less than stellar and I question how well he is going to recruit in the future if we don't improve our on the field performance. It would actually be interesting to see how well he could recruit if he had a winning program to back him up.

In 2014, we had 13 commits 5.5 or lower. We have 2 right now. This class will be better than every class but a few in the last 15 years.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
In 2014, we had 13 commits 5.5 or lower. We have 2 right now. This class will be better than every class but a few in the last 15 years.
I would agree that recruiting has improved over years before CGC but I'm not sure that our current class ranked 40th with one 4 star, no top 250 players, and only one player even ranked in the top 450 is where we are expecting to be. We had 8 players in the top 450 in the 2020 class and 2 in the top 250 (almost 3). There is still time left so hopefully we get a couple of flips. Im not sure there are that many possibilities out there though.

Deleted member 2897

I would agree that recruiting has improved over years before CGC but I'm not sure that our current class ranked 40th with one 4 star, no top 250 players, and only one player even ranked in the top 450 is where we are expecting to be. We had 8 players in the top 450 in the 2020 class and 2 in the top 250 (almost 3). There is still time left so hopefully we get a couple of flips. Im not sure there are that many possibilities out there though.

I’d spend just a minute doing a little extra work about the team you’re a fan of before you make such assertions. We’re #26 per Rivals. 247 is way behind on their rankings this year. For example, River Helms is a 5.7 and almost a 4-star. Several SEC schools including Georgia offered him. He’s a top 25 player in Alabama. 247 hasn’t given him a rating yet. Nor have they even published that other ratings services have - their data is wholly incorrect.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
49-7, 73-7.......what’s the difference. Still an *** whooping.
If we had lost 45-10, we would be discussing Boston College on this thread for the past three days instead of Clemson. But when you lose 73-7, that is an historic failure. That is the kind of score between two power five teams that makes anyone watching football across the country take a double-take to make sure they saw it correctly. And they remember it. Unfortunately, we have a had a few of those epic losses in the past year and a half. I am a big suppporter of CGC, but we need to figure out a way to be competitive even when rebuilding. Recruits are watching these scores. I love the culture he is building: I just hope they can coach the Xs and Os.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we had lost 45-10, we would be discussing Boston College on this thread for the past three days instead of Clemson. But when you lose 73-7, that is an historic failure. That is the kind of score between two power five teams that makes anyone watching football across the country take a double-take to make sure they saw it correctly. And they remember it. Unfortunately, we have a had a few of those epic losses in the past year and a half. I am a big suppporter of CGC, but we need to figure out a way to be competitive even when rebuilding. Recruits are watching these scores. I love the culture he is building: I just hope they can coach the Xs and Os.
I agree with your comments. I wanrt to support CGC but we can't have 73-7 losses to anyone. You can hate CPJ all you want be but he never got beat like that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
hat is the kind of score between two power five teams that makes anyone watching football across the country take a double-take to make sure they saw it correctly. And they remember it.

First part sure. Second part no. Nobody is going to remember it other than us.

Nobody cares that OSU beat Maryland 76-13 last year.
Nobody cares that Clemson beat UL 77-16 two years ago.
Nobody cares that Washington beat Oregon 70-21 in 2016.

Nobody outside of our fanbase is going to remember this game probably even two weeks from now. This is like the people that were claiming everyone would remember us losing to citadel last year. No. Nobody outside of the fanbase cares about that now.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your comments. I wanrt to support CGC but we can't have 73-7 losses to anyone. You can hate CPJ all you want be but he never got beat like that.
Because his team was designed to limit possessions. I loved CPJ, but let's not pretend like he didn't have any blowout losses. Saturday felt a lot like some of CPJ's losses over his last few years. Totally overmatched. The score might have been worse, but the feeling was the exact same.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
First part sure. Second part no. Nobody is going to remember it other than us.

Nobody cares that OSU beat Maryland 76-13 last year.
Nobody cares that Clemson beat UL 77-16 two years ago.
Nobody cares that Washington beat Oregon 70-21 in 2016.

Nobody outside of our fanbase is going to remember this game probably even two weeks from now. This is like the people that were claiming everyone would remember us losing to citadel last year. No. Nobody outside of the fanbase cares about that now.
This Clemson game and last year’s Citadel game will only be data points in 2-3 that will either be able to say: “Wow, look how far CGC has brought that program. An FCS loss and a historical defeat, now they’re an ACC contender.” Or, “Wow, CGC was a pretty terrible coach. He lost to an FCS team and got beat 73-7 along the way.”

Right now neither of those 2 games have an impact on the direction of the program. They’ll only serve as talking points one way or the other, but the most important thing is that CGC still controls his own narrative and destiny at Tech.

geno57

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with the timetable but not sure about odds decreasing. WTBS, the only thing I am comfortable in saying is that this transition is the death blow for option football in the P5 level. Whether the issue is the transition and real roster issues and/or coaching (or lack thereof or a combination of these, what AD or fanbase will want to deal with what we are going through? That may or may not be fair either.
I am sure option football is already dead at the P5 level. I am pretty confident we both have seen enough football that current game day coaching is suspect. On the other hand, there should be good talent on the Flats if Geoff Collins doesn't turn it around.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I’d spend just a minute doing a little extra work about the team you’re a fan of before you make such assertions. We’re #26 per Rivals. 247 is way behind on their rankings this year. For example, River Helms is a 5.7 and almost a 4-star. Several SEC schools including Georgia offered him. He’s a top 25 player in Alabama. 247 hasn’t given him a rating yet. Nor have they even published that other ratings services have - their data is wholly incorrect.
I wasn’t making assertions, i was using rankings by what has traditionally been a respectable outlet. If they aren’t anymore then let’s go with rivals since 247 isn’t trustworthy. Is one 4 star and no top 250 players where we want to be? Is that not a pretty big drop off from last year?

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
This Clemson game and last year’s Citadel game will only be data points in 2-3 that will either be able to say: “Wow, look how far CGC has brought that program. An FCS loss and a historical defeat, now they’re an ACC contender.” Or, “Wow, CGC was a pretty terrible coach. He lost to an FCS team and got beat 73-7 along the way.”

Right now neither of those 2 games have an impact on the direction of the program. They’ll only serve as talking points one way or the other, but the most important thing is that CGC still controls his own narrative and destiny at Tech.
The fact that we still bring up the embarrasment of the Furman loss nearly 40 years later is a rather large counterpoint to your first paragraph. And as for whether they have an impact on the direction of the program, we don't know that yet. If the large donors start sitting on their wallets because of those embarassments, then those losses will have had a enormous detrimental impact on, not only football, but on the athletic department as a whole.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The fact that we still bring up the embarrasment of the Furman loss nearly 40 years later is a rather large counterpoint to your first paragraph. And as for whether they have an impact on the direction of the program, we don't know that yet. If the large donors start sitting on their wallets because of those embarassments, then those losses will have had a enormous detrimental impact on, not only football, but on the athletic department as a whole.
LOL! The ONLY people who bring up Furman are us. No one else remembers or cares.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
LOL! The ONLY people who bring up Furman are us. No one else remembers or cares.
Lmao. I’ll be honest, I had no idea the Furman loss even happened until one of the CPJ vs. CGC debates brought it up. WGAF what happened 40 years ago. Most people don’t even remember who lost to who last year, much less 40 years ago.

When people talk about Florida’s football program do they ever mention their loss to Georgia Southern? No. And that happened in 2015. That’s recent enough that a lot of this year’s recruits probably remember it happening, considering they would be 12-14 at the time. Almost nobody cares about the Citadel loss as it is, even fewer will care 5 years from now, and absolutely nobody cares about the Furman loss.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Of all the games I remember that still hurt (outside of every game the Saturday after Thanksgiving) was the 9-6 game. I don’t even have to mention the team. That game while only remembered by one other fan base still gets me heated. This Clemson game and last years VT game meant nothing. But 9-6 actually meant something.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t making assertions, i was using rankings by what has traditionally been a respectable outlet. If they aren’t anymore then let’s go with rivals since 247 isn’t trustworthy. Is one 4 star and no top 250 players where we want to be? Is that not a pretty big drop off from last year?
I think 247 is just behind in rating guys. Perhaps Rivals got a faster start or saw more guys last year and are more comfortable with their ratings. I expect 247 to be revising many of their ratings (not just for GT commits, I mean in general) now that they’ve seen what “normal” is for this season.