Clemson Post-game Thread

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Maybe if he was a regular student this would be true. As regular students aren’t afforded the benefits that student athletes are. But even then, if TL is as dedicated to his craft as everyone says he is, he would be more than fine as a student. Tech’s retention rate is very high now. Getting in is much more difficult than getting out. 95% of high school football recruits could be admitted as football players and have little to no trouble with the school aspect of Georgia Tech. It’s not easy, but it’s not nearly as difficult as what some of our fans make it out to be. Go to class, have a good relationship with your professors, and do your assignments, and they’ll find a way to make sure you keep a C average.

The only argument that could be made against this is that some schools don’t actually make their players go to class or put in any work. This is a lot less common than what most fans like to think it is too. Even at your blue-blood schools. The overwhelming majority of players are in class everyday, just like a regular student, even the superstars. The blue-bloods might have 6-7 guys that they allow to skate by, but everyone else does the work.
I disagree a little. Athletics confirms kids go to class, but some just can’t handle college level. I have several in my classes that can’t write a complete sentence.

The average Tech athlete is WAY above average compared to the NCAA athlete.

slugboy

Staff member
Literally every CPJ hater on this board. Saying the sole reasons for our losses thus far with CGC was due to CPJ crummy recruiting.
There’s a world of difference in saying we have to improve our recruiting to compete and saying it’s the sole reason for any losses.

Where has anyone said it’s the sole reason?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For better or worse, things have changed at Tech. If an athlete can get into Tech, he will most assuredly be able to survive academically and get out.

I think this is now true for everyone, athlete or not, from what I understand...if you get in, you will graduate. "Getting out" is a thing of the past. what a time to be alive as they say!!!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
These types of comments are infuriating. Bottom line, you are not qualified to make that judgment. It's laughable that fans thinks they know more than the professional staff.

You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion as a lay-person is irrelevant. Today was a completed ***-whooping. It happens. We're getting better, and that will be highlighted throughout the rest of the season.
I'm okay that I infuriated you. You should be mad. If it takes my opinion to make you mad after today then you've been drinking the 'cool'-aide a bit too deeply and you are getting mad about the wrong thing. We just didn't get an ***-whooping, we got the worst ***-whooping in the history of the ACC.

I'm hoping that makes you mad, but if you need to feel superior by implying that I'm less qualified to have an opinion than you...then you just be you.

Deleted member 2897

It won't.

But you are. :ROFLMAO:

Co-sign. The AD and the knowledgeable fans know this, and so does our competition for that matter.

I agree with this. I was dumbfounded that we weren't burning clock especially the entire 2nd half where we should've just agreed to a running clock for the 2nd half at halftime. That being said, now that someone agrees with you will you be quiet now? You're spamming about this constantly but I don't see what you're trying to accomplish. We should've used more clock, I think people realize that. So what do you want to do? Does someone agreeing with you about this make it better, what exactly do you want with all your complaining about it?

:ROFLMAO: Soft is such an understatement here :ROFLMAO:

Settle down, folks. We got annihilated during a rebuild by the best team in the nation and it sucked really bad to watch. We just gotta take our medicine on this one and move on. The show goes on and we're going to get to the top with this staff; there most definitely will be a few tweaks but the bulk of this staff will get us where we want to be.

Exactly. We can win any of our remaining games. Collins needs to give Dabo the naked pictures of Dabo’s Mom back (should have been done long ago), flush this and move on.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think this is now true for everyone, athlete or not, from what I understand...if you get in, you will graduate. "Getting out" is a thing of the past. what a time to be alive as they say!!!

It kind of makes me sad that something that took years off of my life is now not still part of the GT experience. It was different, it was intense, and it was a "shaft", but when you "got out", you knew you had something that many people would never, ever be able to get.

Scubapro

Banned
Throw in Citadel and it still about half our margin. This is coaching and talent. With higher rated talent we have regressed.
Lol...this year has nothing to do with CPJ. This year is all on the current staff.
Yeah...It was CPJ calling the plays...I didnt say we were full up on talent did I? Every loss last year was set at the feet of Johnson. If you criticized anything about Geoff or Dave's coaching it would go back to excuse that they don't have any talent on the field. The great unnamed one won 11 games here in THREE years....Do you think Geoff can get to eleven total in three years? If so how many more? Three? Five?

Last edited:

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not sure what game the apologists watched today.

The defense looked totally out of position all day. The defensive backfield was chasing all afternoon. Even Swilling was out of position often. I love Thacker's energy and commitment, but the play today was inexcusable. It is great that the defense stripped for another fumble. And got an int. But explain to me how the team was prepared to play today?

Personnel wise, Tech has better and more experienced players than last year I think most would agree. Again, how can you explain what happened today.

On offense, Tech was outmatched across the line of scrimmage. Although again, I think most would agree that the offensive line is more experienced and bigger than last year. Yet the performance today did not live up to the play last year.

Personally, I want the current staff to be the answer. However, this game was at least one step back. I have seen lots of Tech football over the years. I was at he Furman games that were referred to earlier. The Citadel last year. The Notre Dame drubbing in the 70s. The BL years. The butt kicking by Uga last year. This game has to rank as the worst, or right up there as the worst loss in my memory. Please, someone tell me of a worse a$$ kicking they have seen.

After the 4th quarter showing last week, I believed the team to be improving.

Is this what people call a dumpster fire?

JoeyGT777

Georgia Tech Fan
This was embarrassing... Understandable they are better than us at almost every position but We had no creativity on offense..run up the middle, run to the side...and run again on most third downs..We threw the ball 13 times ..We made it so easy for the the best team in the country to defend us...We tryed no trick plays nothing different...even their backups beat us 21-0...It seemed coach gc wanted the game to end... unacceptable to get beat 73-7 to even the best team in the country...And I like Dabo for years but it was classless what he did toward the end of the 1st half...

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This game was inexcusable. Yes there is a huge talent gap but not 70 points. Heck it could have been even worse. The coaches really need to take a look in the mirror after this one. We should have been able to compete much more than we did. However, this may be Dabo's most talented Clemson team from top to bottom. It is still only one game. The players will not quit. Recruits will not decommit because of this game. Fans put more emphasis on the results of an individual game than recruits. I am interested to see how we respond. We have enough talent to compete with any team left on our schedule, although there is a large gap with ND. I need to see improvement throughout the course of the season.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We do not run kids off, we sell them on the idea of a Georgia tech degree.
I say this because when Jeff Collins arrived at Georgia tech I went through and looked at the roster at that time and the longest rebuild was going to be on defense because we were loaded with Paul Johnson brand new defensive players particularly in the defensive line.
Defensively this appeared to be a four-year rebuild at that time, we are in the second year. It is why Geoff Collins was given a long contract in my opinion.
We are slow everywhere, small, short and we have to work our way through this. It was always going to be a very painful transition to get out of the TO. The old system was a system, and as these coaches tell us this new program is a players program, we still have to get players and we are having to develop those we are getting but they fit otherwise what we're looking for once they are developed.
It's going to take a lot of patience on the fans part, do not see that today.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I agree, just embarrassing. I don't feel good about our program anymore. My pride in being a fan of this program is really damaged.
Lol, if your pride in the program has diminished after a terrible game then I suspect you really weren’t that invested in the first place. The best thing to do is laugh it off. Other than the players and coaches, nobody really has to live with the results of this game. Being a college football fan is not a matter of life and death. If an opposing team’s fan talking trash to you is enough for you to question your fandom, then maybe college football isn’t for you. If you can’t enjoy these games for what they are - kids playing a game - then maybe college football isn’t for you. If the result of a game that you didn’t play in, didnt coach in, or didn’t have a family member or friend playing in affects your life in a negative way, then maybe college football isn’t for you.

I understand being upset at coaches or the administration or whatever, but any fan who is truly embarrassed or upset about the result of this game for more than a couple of hours really needs to take a step back and look at what college football is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This game was inexcusable. Yes there is a huge talent gap but not 70 points. Heck it could have been even worse. The coaches really need to take a look in the mirror after this one. We should have been able to compete much more than we did. However, this may be Dabo's most talented Clemson team from top to bottom. It is still only one game. The players will not quit. Recruits will not decommit because of this game. Fans put more emphasis on the results of an individual game than recruits. I am interested to see how we respond. We have enough talent to compete with any team left on our schedule, although there is a large gap with ND. I need to see improvement throughout the course of the season.

Reminds me when I was a kid playing CYO basketball and a major high school from a bigger city comes to town. Coach: “Kids, don’t die. Break!”