Clemson (Permanent Crossover Rivals)

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think what has happened tonight is instructive. Clemson has now defeated us, Miami, and Virginia Tech this year. Only one of those teams has to play them next year. Miami obviously has FSU on their hands, which isn’t nothing, but Virginia Tech has a massive advantage, and tonight shows why. It also shows that all the griping in the world about talent doesn’t explain our losses to Clemson. What they’ve done to Miami tonight should more than adequately address that.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Jake Fromm could get into Tech. My daughter went to elementary and middle school with him before we moved, and he was always getting academic awards as well as athletic awards. I am sure that he was an excellent student in high school as well.
Interesting. Did she go to school with Tobias Oliver as well?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think what has happened tonight is instructive. Clemson has now defeated us, Miami, and Virginia Tech this year. Only one of those teams has to play them next year. Miami obviously has FSU on their hands, which isn’t nothing, but Virginia Tech has a massive advantage, and tonight shows why. It also shows that all the griping in the world about talent doesn’t explain our losses to Clemson. What they’ve done to Miami tonight should more than adequately address that.
"Fair"[sic] is something you pay to get on the bus. Not my original... but I repeat it often.

Chasing "fairness" in life or athletics is mostly wasted energy. Control what you can. And there is a lot in the process under the team's control. Win the games on the schedule & the accomplishments speak for themselves.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
It speaks volumes about "the system" that someone (a) can graduate from high school yet be unable to read and (b) that such a person can get into ANY college. Period.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
"Fair"[sic] is something you pay to get on the bus. Not my original... but I repeat it often.

Chasing "fairness" in life or athletics is mostly wasted energy. Control what you can. And there is a lot in the process under the team's control. Win the games on the schedule & the accomplishments speak for themselves.
“Win the games on the schedule against teams with better players and more resources, and when it doesn’t happen, we’re still going to judge you on the same standard as the teams who didn’t have as difficult a path.”

This is absurd.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
“Win the games on the schedule against teams with better players and more resources, and when it doesn’t happen, we’re still going to judge you on the same standard as the teams who didn’t have as difficult a path.”

This is absurd.
Yes. ...& no scheduling "fix" fixes it. You & I have chosen to follow & enjoy(?) the absurdity.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
...also, @JorgeJonas to be totally fair. Tough scheduling is rewarded to some extent. See UCF undefeated & not getting to sniff the CFB playoff. I think your generally correct, though... if simply looking at Tech's situation having Clemson every year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Swap clemson and Miami division wise and eliminate permanent crossover... Miami plays FSU every year and we still play clemson every year (every coastal team won't avoid clemson, so there's that).

Some people will probably complain that our path to the acc title game becomes that much harder which is true, still a thought.
I am less concerned on how they do it than the fact it would even be considered by somebody protecting his phoney baloney job. (Sorry, Blazing Saddles again.) When two schools are what, 85 miles apart, meaning fans can drive to the game where ever it is played without the huge flight expense, and they are historical rivals? Not to play? Tech lost some rivals when it went independent -- as pointed out, Auburn was one. Tennessee was another. Not every year but great rivals. College football needs all that it can get.

pelliott

Georgia Tech Fan
I say you make the ACC play 9 conference games and get rid of divisions completely. Have the two teams with the best record play each other for the championship (like the big 12 does now). This might come into play in the future for deciding the CFP as well.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I say you make the ACC play 9 conference games and get rid of divisions completely. Have the two teams with the best record play each other for the championship (like the big 12 does now). This might come into play in the future for deciding the CFP as well.
ACC tried to change the championship game rules and failed. Rules State you must have two divisions and division chaos play each other.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk