Clemson favored early spread

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Although I like our strategy (tiring out opposing defenses), what works against the average P5 defense may not work so well against elite defenses that have an abundance of quality depth. Clemson usually has a lot of depth on D, but I'm not sure about this year. Uga typically subs a lot on defense to keep guys fresh for this reason. We shall see.
I don't know either but two things did stand out to me about Clemson that I failed to mention in my earlier post. First of all, they are a very good tackling team. The corners are aggressive in challenging the wide receiver screens. Secondly, I had thought that Kublick (spelling?) was struggling with his throws but now I think that their receivers are not up to the usual Clemson standards. In fact, we are used to seeing Clemson with loads of future NFL talent but that does not seem to be the case this year. Still a very good team that is much better than its record would indicate. I sure wish there was a way to rotate the Tigers off our schedule every once in a while because lately it has been a guaranteed loss along with UGA.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Although I like our strategy (tiring out opposing defenses), what works against the average P5 defense may not work so well against elite defenses that have an abundance of quality depth. Clemson usually has a lot of depth on D, but I'm not sure about this year. Uga typically subs a lot on defense to keep guys fresh for this reason. We shall see.

Definitely. Depth helps a LOT when you have to chase all game. However, we've also played UNC/Miami who have almost equal defensive depth. Miami did a good job against us. UNC we obliterated in the 2nd half with the east-west concept. I think the UNC game our offense finally found its footing. Remember, we also run tempo. At some point, your depth starts to suffer because you're dipping into reserves who may not have played much this year, or are not as physically talented as the starters. I'd say Clemson has some VERY talented reserves, but are they capable of playing to the level of the 2 deep? Very rare for coaches to venture out of the 2 deep outside of injuries.

We'll see Saturday.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So we have tipped off our opponents that we will throw outs and wr screens early to get them tired . Then we will hit them with the running game. Look out for a pick 6. Should have not talked about it.

I think our coaches are smart enough to know that we have tendencies, and make adjustments. I'm still waiting for the fake screen. Pump to the screen, and the "blocker" run a go route off the fake block. You can also run trips to one side, have the inside receiver closest to the line run a shallow orbit route to the outside while the two outside receivers block.

We can also have Singleton line up to one side, motion to the other and either toss it to him and let him use his speed, or have receivers run off the DBs and dump it to him in the flats.

There are a MYRIAD of ways to vary the concept, but achieve the same outcome.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So we have tipped off our opponents that we will throw outs and wr screens early to get them tired . Then we will hit them with the running game. Look out for a pick 6. Should have not talked about it.
This is my fear every time we try it, it always seems an eyelash away from a pick 6

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Have to be obsessed...

"Key has to toe the line this week of getting his unit to understand they must raise their performance without striving to do too much."

“I’ve never asked a coach or a player, and I never will ask a coach or a player, to play over their head or play bigger than they can play, to be better than they have. All I ask is for those guys to be the best versions of themselves, to be the best player that they can possibly be, to play at the highest of their God-given ability,” Key said. “Can you be a better version of yourself each week? Yes. That’s raising that ceiling. But to play out of your mind and play over your head, I don’t believe in that. I believe collectively we gotta play our best football together week-in and week-out.”

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My impressions from watching the condensed game.
1) Clemson has the best defensive line we will have faced. If they know you have to pass, they are relentless. Hartman was under duress the entire second half it seemed.
2) As "Ballin" pointed out number 7 for Clemson is better than Shipley. He did have a pretty bad fumble late that could have been a disaster but otherwise was a fine power running back. Big, strong, not real fast but fast enough. Oddly, Notre Dame's big back was also number 7 and that guy was even bigger, huge in fact.
3) Kublick is looking better at quarterback than he did earlier in the year. He is decisive and clearly outplayed Hartman but a lot of that was due to having a cleaner pocket most of the time. Not a real threat to run the ball but athletic enough to move around.
4) Number 54 for Clemson is a ball player. He is a linebacker and makes plays. He looks, at least to me, to be the bell cow on that defense. He had at least one sack and an interception that he returned for a TD, I think.
5) Clemson's offensive line held up against a typically huge Notre Dame defensive front four.
6) I do not understand this fascination that these offensive coordinators have with wide receiver screens, tunnel screens and the like. Both teams tried them multiple times and none of them worked.
7) If I were the Clemson offensive coordinator, I would take by big back #7 and run him right at Tech. Nothing fancy just power runs between the tackles and when he gets tired bring #20 in who is more of a scat back for a change of pace.
8) Clemson is better, considerably better than their record and they are better without DJ for sure. A really good team that is probably second or third best in the ACC.
Checked Our Lads Clemson s defense. Like other schools some players info is in orange which means "good".
Looking at defense they, but 5 defenders w green type. When u check the bio for them, it says Aamll American.

We are going to need the defense to play 4 quarters.

We won't be able to consistently dink and dunk our way down to the red zone. When we get close,.
we need to make the 3

Hope i am wrong and we hit a few bombs

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Checked Our Lads Clemson s defense. Like other schools some players info is in orange which means "good".
Looking at defense they, but 5 defenders w green type. When u check the bio for them, it says Aamll American.

We won't be able to consistently dink and dunk our way down to the red zone. When we get close,.
we need to make the 3

IMG_7560.gif

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If Buster and King look good against this much defensive talent, it will be great for them. Top programs have money to change lives by way portal/ nil ing in a top Qb, i e. ND, USC, Okla.

MOST likely its a mix.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

we need to make the 3

Did you suffer a stroke right before writing this?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If I was still betting on games, I’d take Tech and the points. But I don’t bet anymore because I sucked at it.😢
Spread's up to 14.5/15 now. Seems a solid bet to me. Just too many points. I'd say Clemson still has the aura of the public favorite, which drives up the spread.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of the outcome, the anticipation for this game feels like a serious rivalry. It feels like Dabo really wants to win this one and make a point. Clearly, Tech would also like to make a statement about their season with this one.