Clemson favored early spread

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’ll second this. Clemson’s offense is exceedingly pedestrian. The only reason they beat ND is that the Domer’s offense last weekend was exceedingly atrocious. Hartman was 13-30 for 146 yards and 2 int’s. Klubnik for Clemson was just about as bad at 13-26, 109 yds, 1 td, 1 int. If we give Haynes pretty good protection, we win!
I would submit that the reason for Hartman's relative ineffectiveness is because every time in the second half he went back to pass some SOB in orange had their hands in his face. Clemson will pressure Haynes relentlessly unless we can figure out a way to throw quick passes and run the ball to slow them down. This is a much better team than its record would indicate.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would submit that the reason for Hartman's relative ineffectiveness is because every time in the second half he went back to pass some SOB in orange had their hands in his face. Clemson will pressure Haynes relentlessly unless we can figure out a way to throw quick passes and run the ball to slow them down. This is a much better team than its record would indicate.non-logical play by
They have CLEMSONNED some games. Beat FSU but found a way to lose with missed short FG and some non-logical play by QB.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
King is a better overall QB than Hartman and has a better OL blocking for him, despite ND being loaded with blue chip guys. Hartman averages 2 yds/carry and has been sacked 14 times, almost 3 times as much as King, and all have come against ACC opponents. He's likely the 15th best QB in the draft this year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We need to slow their run game down somehow and get a few turnovers to win this. I believe that Clemson will initially shut our offense down but some key Haynes King runs will open things up. Our passing game will need a lot of quick hitters to combat their pass-rush.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We need to slow their run game down somehow and get a few turnovers to win this. I believe that Clemson will initially shut our offense down but some key Haynes King runs will open things up. Our passing game will need a lot of quick hitters to combat their pass-rush.
Good post. We will be tested stoping the run.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Up to now, the best defense we've played against was Miami (#25 DFEI). We STRUGGLED offensively against them. King didn't have a good game up until the last drive, and none of our RBs had more than 33 yds rushing (King led us in rushing with 46 yds).

That said, we can all agree this GT team is different than the team that barely got out of Coral Gables a month ago. After our game against UVA, our OFEI rose to #28. I said it in the UVA thread, but I think GT has a top 20 offense. The offense of the last two weeks is VERY close to being elite.

If you've been paying attention, our game plan has been to wear out the opponent's front 7. Those screen passes that sometimes only go for few yards or no gain? Well, those front 7 guys still need to sprint out 20-30 yards to help out of or make the tackle. Over the entirety of the game, those long runs the front 7 have to make going east to west takes a toll. This is why our running game has been so effective late in 3rd and in the 4th quarters. I also like that we are selectively using King as a weapon. Key, tipping his hat to Paul Johnson, talked about mixing in some option schemes with a modern twist. It's not easy defending us right now, and sometimes the best defense is for our offense to become aggressive...not just on the field, but in schematically.

Clemson will be the toughest defense we've played all season. It will be their strength (defense), versus our strength (offense). These are the kind of matchups you enjoy as a sports fan.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Up to now, the best defense we've played against was Miami (#25 DFEI). We STRUGGLED offensively against them. King didn't have a good game up until the last drive, and none of our RBs had more than 33 yds rushing (King led us in rushing with 46 yds).

That said, we can all agree this GT team is different than the team that barely got out of Coral Gables a month ago. After our game against UVA, our OFEI rose to #28. I said it in the UNC thread, but I think GT has a top 20 offense. The offense of the last two weeks is VERY close to being elite.

If you've been paying attention, our game plan has been to wear out the opponent's front 7. Those screen passes that sometimes only go for few yards or no gain? Well, those front 7 guys still need to sprint out 20-30 yards to help out of or make the tackle. Over the entirety of the game, those long runs the front 7 have to make going east to west takes a toll. This is why our running game has been so effective late in 3rd and in the 4th quarters. I also like that we are selectively using King as a weapon. Key, tipping his hat to Paul Johnson, talked about mixing in some option schemes with a modern twist. It's not easy defending us right now, and sometimes the best defense is for our offense to become aggressive...not just on the field, but in schematically.

Clemson will be the toughest defense we've played all season. It will be their strength (defense), versus our strength (offense). These are the kind of matchups you enjoy as a sports fan.
Agree with everything you said, but wanted to add that the Miami game was largely played in a tropical rainstorm. It adversely affected both QBs, particularly early game. We also didn't have Dontae.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree with everything you said, but wanted to add that the Miami game was largely played in a tropical rainstorm. It adversely affected both QBs, particularly early game. We also didn't have Dontae.

Yup. Dontae has dramatically helped our rushing game. Not only with his impact runs, but keeping Jamal Haynes fresh. We've got a pretty darn good 1-2 punch at RB, and then you still have to deal with Haynes King running the ball. Nice little "triple option" for us running the ball. :)

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Our best tool against these defenses that cream or Oline is King’s outstanding ability to run, and throw on the run. Our ability to beat clemson and uga rests on this mostly imo.
6 singleton Hail Marys and all weaknesses can be forgiven 🙏🏼

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Our best tool against these defenses that cream or Oline is King’s outstanding ability to run, and throw on the run. Our ability to beat clemson and uga rests on this mostly imo.
6 singleton Hail Marys and all weaknesses can be forgiven 🙏🏼

The mutts are quietly struggling a little bit on run defense. They gave up over 5 yards a carry to Mizzou’s starting HB, who had a very consistent game. They gave up 6.5 yards a carry to Florida’s three main rushers the week before. If we continue to establish the running game we’ve had the last two weeks, that might be a key to us having a shot at the upset.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This is something I've picked up on, too. In the last 2 games, King has mentioned in the postgame the strategy of spreading the width of the field and forcing the defenders to run and wear themselves down. It seems to be working - love to see the running game break loose in later

Of course, using the screens early to wear the defense out requires us to accept an ~75% chance that we just lose that down, and can pick up the 10 yards on the 2 other downs. Which is tougher against better defenses, but still doable.

I also love the latest bit about mixing in option schemes. The nature of our current offense takes me back to Friedgen's offense - which we of course won a national championship under and, interestingly, was in place when Key was playing OL at Tech. That really gets me pumped to hear. I know a lot of other teams use RPOs and option plays, but I think our offense is so multi-faceted right now, the extra wrinkle of occasional option plays has to be particularly confounding for opposing DC's to defend against. Again, kudos to Buster Faulkner, Chris Weinke, Norval McKenzie, Geep Wade, and Josh Crawford. They're engineering one helluva machine.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is something I've picked up on, too. In the last 2 games, King has mentioned in the postgame the strategy of spreading the width of the field and forcing the defenders to run and wear themselves down. It seems to be working - love to see the running game break loose in later

Of course, using the screens early to wear the defense out requires us to accept an ~75% chance that we just lose that down, and can pick up the 10 yards on the 2 other downs. Which is tougher against better defenses, but still doable.

I also love the latest bit about mixing in option schemes. The nature of our current offense takes me back to Friedgen's offense - which we of course won a national championship under and, interestingly, was in place when Key was playing OL at Tech. That really gets me pumped to hear. I know a lot of other teams use RPOs and option plays, but I think our offense is so multi-faceted right now, the extra wrinkle of occasional option plays has to be particularly confounding for opposing DC's to defend against. Again, kudos to Buster Faulkner, Chris Weinke, Norval McKenzie, Geep Wade, and Josh Crawford. They're engineering one helluva machine.

Another thing we're also doing is sending our receivers and TEs across the middle of the field which is also creating the same East-West stress on the front 7. We are creative about how we're making the least conditioned positions run east and west creating an advantage in the later quarters.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Another thing we're also doing is sending our receivers and TEs across the middle of the field which is also creating the same East-West stress on the front 7. We are creative about how we're making the least conditioned positions run east and west creating an advantage in the later quarters.
Although I like our strategy (tiring out opposing defenses), what works against the average P5 defense may not work so well against elite defenses that have an abundance of quality depth. Clemson usually has a lot of depth on D, but I'm not sure about this year. Uga typically subs a lot on defense to keep guys fresh for this reason. We shall see.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
After reading all these comments, I am left wondering if Clemson fans would like to have DJ back instead of the one they have now (Klubick?) I poised that question to the two rabid Clemson fans at church Sunday and they looked at me like I was crazy. Of course, DJ has managed to lose the starting job at Oregon State and is now a special purpose wildcat back for short yardage situations. He has gone from being a 5 star can't miss prospect out of high school to losing the starting job at two different programs. Rare feat that.
Not exactly sure what you are talking about? DJ had 24 pass attempts last week and 30 the week before. Maybe you are thinking about another QB, but he has attempted more than 24 passes in every game but their FCS match up. From watching the Oregon St vs Colorado game, the announcer spent about half the game talking about how much DJ has improved since leaving Clemson.

slugboy

Staff member
Although I like our strategy (tiring out opposing defenses), what works against the average P5 defense may not work so well against elite defenses that have an abundance of quality depth. Clemson usually has a lot of depth on D, but I'm not sure about this year. Uga typically subs a lot on defense to keep guys fresh for this reason. We shall see.
And speed. It’s easier to beat UVA to the edge than Miami or Clemson.

I’m not trying to be negative—I just think beating Clemson will require our best game so far this year

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I’m not trying to be negative—I just think beating Clemson will require our best game so far this year
This is correct. We also need to continue our improvements in blocking for the guy with the ball. I noticed that our TEs have gotten a bit better at this; early-season games had many plays blown up because they whiffed so much.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

It's easier to beat teams to the edge when you have a legitimate inside threat to keep them honest too though. We had almost not inside run game for several weeks and have found our footing the past two. Maybe this is a function of the defenses we've been facing, or changes to scheme, but the results have at least been there. I do agree in general that things that worked against UVA and UNC are guaranteed to just work against Clemson. Hopefully the coaches have a good plan ready.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It's easier to beat teams to the edge when you have a legitimate inside threat to keep them honest too though. We had almost not inside run game for several weeks and have found our footing the past two. Maybe this is a function of the defenses we've been facing, or changes to scheme, but the results have at least been there. I do agree in general that things that worked against UVA and UNC are guaranteed to just work against Clemson. Hopefully the coaches have a good plan ready.
Dontae played?