Clemson Crossover Game

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I think the fair thing to do would be to do one of two things either drop the permanent crossover or don't count the crossover games in league standings. That way the latter would not have any affect on who makes the championship game. I would rather see the letter that way you're measuring yourself against your side of the conference and you get to keep permanent crossover. The latter is an idea that I heard CPJ state that he would like to see happen.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love the Clemson game. I might love it less if the series wasn't so lopsided. But typical, to be the best you have to play the best and earn championships. I'd rather get tested in the regular season and find the true character of the team prior to going into championship games. Though the '14 Jackets had 2 losses on the resume', I think we all knew what kind of character the team had going into the CG, and although they came up short in that one, they didn't let us down.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Just look at who Duke has played in the other side lately..

2013 - NC State, @Wake
2014 - @Syracuse, Wake
2015 - BC, @Wake

Would be nice if we have a easy crossover game like Wake.

Just look at 2013 for example...we finished 5-3 in the ACC and Duke finished 6-2.

If we played Wake and they played Clemson we would have to the ACCCG.

Or if Duke would have played Clemson instead of Wake they would have been 5-3...and we would have the tiebreaker.
First off, I would have wanted no part of FSU in the championship game in 2013...that team would have gotten rolled pretty bad. So probably a net positive that we got them when we were on the same level instead of a year early.
Second, does Miami complain about playing FSU every year? It sucks that we have to deal with Duke always starting out +1 in the race due to Wake, but you don't have to drop your rivals to balance it out.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I love the Clemson Gt rivalry, there's no way in hell id be okay with it being dropped. I don't want to pad the W-L Collum with easy wins. I'd rather beat the other teams **** to the dirt and win games simply by being dominate. Teams don't become dominate by playing cupcakes

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Beginning with last season the strength of schedule is the greatest criteria necessary to have a realistic shot at making the playoff. Given that GT has not only a great rivalry with Clemson but the Tigers also have a very highly rated program for strength of schedule. It would not make any sense to take them off as a permanent crossover game to play Wake or some other Atlantic Division school for league balance.

Given that the Buckeyes couldn't even beat the Hokies at the "Shoe" in my book the Yellow Jackets would have won the Big Ten or whatever they are calling themselves these days. Let Puke play their permanent crossover with the Deacons every season as they have already exhausted their 15 minutes of relevance.

Bobinski has bigger problems to deal with such as trying to get more fans to BDS for games which should not be all that difficult given the population in the metro area, the history of Grant Field, and the quality of this program. Get that taken care of first before breaking something that isn't broken.

Animal02

Banned
GT football will slowly decline if we drop Clemson and try to play a softer schedule
Bull. First, being a winning program will not see a decline in GT football. Playing Clemson or not every year does not make a soft schedule. It is playing a FCS team AND a non P5 team.
It doesn't help that Tech has a large percentage of foreign students who are/will not be football fans.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think crossovers could be removed IF the divisions are re-aligned. See below:
Atlantic
FSU
Miami
Pitt
Cuse
Louisville
Wake
BC

Coastal:
GT
Clemson
NC State
VT
UVA
Duke
UNC

This way you preserve FSU-Miami, GT-Clem, UNC-NCSU while getting rid of crossovers. I personally wouldn't mind not playing Miami every year either.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
So, we drop our best rivalry game because once every decade or two it "might" cost us the chance to play for a championship. Of course beating them "might" be the game that gets us into the playoffs, too. So we would not play the two ACC teams closest to us. That should get fan interest up.

KEEP IT! Drop Bobinski instead.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
While we are redoing the schedule:
Move the UGA game to the Clemson slot and put Clemson in the UGA slot. UGA can fill their GT slot with USC.
Last game of the season would be GT vs Clem and UGA vs USC. All teams get to end the year with a conference game instead of a meaningless non conference game.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
While we are redoing the schedule:
Move the UGA game to the Clemson slot and put Clemson in the UGA slot. UGA can fill their GT slot with USC.
Last game of the season would be GT vs Clem and UGA vs USC. All teams get to end the year with a conference game instead of a meaningless non conference game.
The last game is everyone's biggest rival, what's it matter if the last game is a confrence game or not? Your going to play all your confrence games during the season regardless, I personally like good hard schedules over easy ones the games are better and even if we aren't that good it gives us the chance to upset one of those teams and ruin their chances at the playoffs and other bowl games.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think getting rid of the crossover games makes good sense, but there's an aspect of getting rid of Clemson that I don't like.

We are a lot more successful against the Tiggers then we are against any other top 20 program. We play them even steven or whip them almost every year. That they have great talent doesn't seem to help them much either. I'm not sure why this keeps happening and I can't predict the future any better then the next guy, but I would really miss whipping Clemson. They get so frustrated and I have so much fun watching it.

But this is a non-starter, imho. No way that the traditional rivalries get deep-sixed for a round robin.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We should really be in the same division as Clemson, i couldn't care less about playing any other single ACC team every single year but Clemson is tradition, too good to give up, and besides we own that Tiger azz!

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Lets just drop any game we might have any chance of losing. That way we'll go to the championship every year!