Clemson Crossover Game

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
He has said that a number of times by saying that the conference could do away with all crossovers and then have a rotation through all opponents so that everyone gets to play everyone else the same amount over the same length of time.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Memo to Mike...

To: Mike
Re: Dropping Clemson

Don't. It's a bad idea. Please stop with the stupid decisions already.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

A Tech alumnus, fan and financial supporter.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
If our goal is to make the ACC championship every year and that's it, then this makes a lot of sense. If our goal is to get to the playoff I don't like the thought of getting left out because our conference schedule just happened to be too weak that year. Playing Clemson and uga make it a lot easier for us to get in with 1 loss

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
paul johnson wants this too....it make sense for schedule balance when you compare to who other ACC teams get in their crossover...

Just look at who Duke has played in the other side lately..

2013 - NC State, @Wake
2014 - @Syracuse, Wake
2015 - BC, @Wake

Would be nice if we have a easy crossover game like Wake.

Just look at 2013 for example...we finished 5-3 in the ACC and Duke finished 6-2.

If we played Wake and they played Clemson we would have to the ACCCG.

Or if Duke would have played Clemson instead of Wake they would have been 5-3...and we would have the tiebreaker.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
paul johnson wants this too....it make sense for schedule balance when you compare to who other ACC teams get in their crossover...

I get why the coach would want this. But the AD? Selling tickets at Tech isn't easy...why remove the biggest game outside of Uga? VT and Miami don't generate the excitement and enthusiasm even. Bobby Dodd needs big games and the ensuing atmosphere...Wake, NCS, etc. aren't going to do that. FSU maybe, but that will be an occasional scenario.

edit to add: agree with Jason's post above as well.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If our goal is to make the ACC championship every year and that's it, then this makes a lot of sense. If our goal is to get to the playoff I don't like the thought of getting left out because our conference schedule just happened to be too weak that year. Playing Clemson and uga make it a lot easier for us to get in with 1 loss

right but undefeated leaves no doubt and on certain years can be easier with weaker crossover....now that we have ND in play its that much stronger of a schedule...

look I like the clemson game...i really do....but I can see Pauls' Bobinskis view too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From a tradition standpoint I'd hate it. Clemson games are fun to go to because their fans get it, and is an easy travel for both teams. Lot of history in the rivalry, and a lot of mutual respect.

From a competitive standpoint, I get it. It's not fair for GT to have to play one of the best teams from the other side every year, when others teams (as some have pointed out) get to play the weaker teams every year. If we go to Pod scheduling, we would play Clemson once every other year, as well as all teams in the ACC. I think that's the most fair way of scheduling for every team in the ACC.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'm not a fan of the "SEC road to the championship". I want Notre Dame, Clemson, Auburn and the Mutts on our schedule every year. Screw Duke- you can have your championship if all you got on your schedule is WF, Cuse, Pitt, etc. It's a crap place to watch a footballl game and GT needs to man up. It appears our AD is showing his true colors.

Add FSU and Miami to the pile and maybe Louisville.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I want to get to the playoff no matter how we get there. No one remembers that Ohio state had an extremely easy schedule this year, they only remember that they are national champs, which is our goal. I think it makes the conference fair for everyone if we just rotate through the other division.

LibertyTurns

Banned
NCAA needs to mandate an NFL style scheduling format. Best teams get the hardest schedules. They should manage the OOC schedules as well to force the chickens to man up and play a real schedule.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
NCAA needs to mandate an NFL style scheduling format. Best teams get the hardest schedules. They should manage the OOC schedules as well to force the chickens to man up and play a real schedule.
No the NCAA should have every team in the conference have to play every other team in the conference. Its the only way to balance the schedule and make it fair.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of fans putting their interests ahead of the teams here.

I love the Clemson game as much as anybody, but I would much rather watch GT play in the National Championship game in January than play Clemson in October.

And man up? You can have your pride, I'd rather have an ACC championship.