@Clemson Baseball

How many games will GT win @Clempson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No surprise here. Clemson coach winning 74% of games with tough SoS. We have upside on our coaching future!

I like getting the games played today and early. Will reduce the Clempy home field advantage.

View attachment 16103

I'd want Cam going Game1 on a DH day, right? Want him fresh/rested taking the mound.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with everything you said. We really need the first one. Their starting pitching seems to get tougher with Knaak being the best.

Good pitching generally beats good hitting. A key to me will be our pitch discipline and run up the pitch count even if we don't get on base. Will pay dividends later in the game and get the starter out sooner.

And an early mound visit to check for sticky substances may be in order if too much spin.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I hate is when you hear "this team is really great but their RPI needs some work." It happens this time every year.

Their RPI doesn't "need work," you just need to consider other metrics too. I think RPI is a great representation of a teams SOS, it's just overrated as a predictor of future success.

And for what it's worth, I appreciate that it rewards tough scheduling. But when a single series against a bad team can tank it that hard, it starts to fail as a useful raw metric. Maybe something like a modified-RPI would be better for the committee to weigh - like dropping the lowest 10% of data points or something.

I agree entirely that RPI modifications are in order, like dropping the top and bottom 5% of the games. There have been plenty of proposals that make sense.

IMHO there is NO single metric which can accurately compare how a college team ranks against another team at the end of the season. College players and teams improvements (including injuries) alter the expected capability of the teams so much during the season that the end of the season performance isn't fully reflected. Also, there are so many (>300 D1 teams) and there are realtively few OOC games. Ranking teams within a conference is more accurate, but again for the whole season and not where they are at then end.

The eyeball tests and expert opinions are also appropriate, but again with so many teams and changing season performance, they are subjective. As long as I agree with the results, they are better. Ask FSU and Herbstreit where real money is involved.

Whatever RPI changes are made, I'd hope they are done with at least a year's advance notice so that the smart scheduling teams can adapt to the new RPI (i.e. new game).

GT33

Helluva Engineer
There’s only 1 way to do this to make it work. P5 get 12 each, whatever the next level down gets 8 each, small conferences get something like 4 each. Make it regional.

You get 128 teams into the tournament. 3 games series every weekend for a month. Higher ranked team gets the series at home until you get down to the last 8 in Omaha.

Yeah this schedule takes it into July, but only for 8 teams. The conference tournaments help determine the seeding. #1 seed gets #32 in their region, should be a cakewalk. #16 and #17 teams in that region are about the 64th to 71st best teams nationally, kind like Miami possibly. Everybody gets a chance, lots of extra home games for the top teams. After 2 weeks you have best 32 teams nationally minus the handful of cinderellas that won their way in.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd want Cam going Game1 on a DH day, right? Want him fresh/rested taking the mound.

Unless Cam doesn't play the first game to rest him up. That would have him be fresh while the other players are somewhat tired being in their second game of the day.

The other option of pitching his second game of the day seems to be obviously undesirable.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yuck. Finateri off today...looks like we are blown out of it by the 2nd inning...down 7-1.

I am now feeling like the usual...GT sports raised my hopes only to dash them down. :(