Clemson 41 - GT 10

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
True but he did throw into a pack of Clemson guys near the goal line, IIRC. Bad decision that turned out okay since the ball fell incomplete.
I think this was the only decision of his I was upset with. There was another pass that, if I am remembering correctly, Sims was hit while throwing and the Clemson corner dropped it. Would have been the easiest pick 6 of his life.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Anybody else wake up mad?
... more disappointed and tired after getting home well past midnight and up to be on the grindstone before 7AM. Had some "good feelings" up through the middle or so of the 3rd quarter all before the PI, targeting, and the non-sack that became the pitch back that then became a first down crushed us.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think this was the only decision of his I was upset with. There was another pass that, if I am remembering correctly, Sims was hit while throwing and the Clemson corner dropped it. Would have been the easiest pick 6 of his life.
That’s what I recall too... his arm was hit on the “dropped” pick six.

On the goal line, I thought he was hit also while trying to throw it over everybody. Replay looked like he was actually targeting a receiver in between 3-4 defenders. He was certainly hurried, but scary decision.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I guess I missed it... Where was Leo Blackburn??? I thought he was going to be a major piece of the offense. Did he get hurt?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Random reflections one night after the game:
  • Overall, it looked like there were two games. One game before DJ Uiagalelei pitches the ball to Shipley to escape the sack and a different game after. Clemson got energized and we lost energy after that.
  • You could also split the tale of two games when Charlie Thomas went out for Targeting.
  • Clemson has a QB controversy, and they should have one. I don’t think DJ Uiagalelei realizes how bad that 4th quarter drive looked for him. Klubnik looks much better. Dabo screwed up starting Uiagalelei.
  • Our starting OL is mostly sophomores and redshirt freshmen. There were a lot of plays that they looked good against Clemson, but Clemson rarely had to bring a 5th rusher. It's a line that can get better, but the DL-OL matchup was Clemson's biggest advantage of the night.
  • If the OL looks good by the time we play Ole Miss, then the season could go well. The story of our season is probably how quickly an inexperienced line can grow into a good line. It needs to be fast. We need to fix a lot of problems against Western Carolina.
  • I wonder what the game might have been like as the fifth game of the season instead of the first. We didn't return a lot of production from last year, and Clemson did. We're coming together as a team a lot more than Clemson is.
  • The only reason why I don't think a matchup later in the season against Clemson would go better is that I expect them to have a different QB by mid-season.
  • The first play was gutsy--our OL against their DL on a deep post route. Our OL was still jittery against a hyped DL and missed an important block. We didn't throw deep much after that play.
  • Having Western Carolina next is huge. First, we have to win. Second, we need to fix our game #1 problems. If we're going to have a good season, Western Carolina is the place to do that.
  • I think Charlie Thomas might have to sit out the first half of Western Carolina--I need to check the targeting rules.
  • We couldn't afford mistakes, and the two blocked punts were massive mistakes. The speed of our punting game had to be clear in practice. It takes forever to get our punts off.
  • I wasn't sure the end-of-the-first half run-the-clock decision had been reported correctly. It was--we had a chance to get the ball back with 45 seconds at the end of the first, and Collins played scared. His explanation was that Clemson might go for the 4th down conversion. It wasn't the call of a coach going for the jugular.
  • DL looked much better until we got into the 4th quarter. After that, I saw the Clemson OL getting under our shoulder pads. There was also a difference between our first string DL and our second string DL. Clemson moved the ball much better against our second string DL.
  • The LB play was a lot better this year compared to last. So was the DB play.
  • Dabo ran the score up. That's on us to stop him. It's been said that he doesn't like Collins and is rubbing it in. I've heard almost no other head coaches like him, and that he doesn't have many friends in the media either. Unless we play really tough, we'll face other coaches rubbing Collins' nose in it and getting bad-mouthed by the announcers while they do it.
  • This is clearly a good enough team to go bowling and have a good record against a reasonable schedule. We don't have a reasonable schedule. A lot of our toss-up games are on the road. Our out-of-conference schedule of UCF, Ole Miss, and UGA sucks.
  • Can we beat Pitt and UNC and a lot of the middle of our schedule? VT looks beatable, but a lot changes after the first game. We look better, but are we "better enough" to get six wins?
  • Six wins is still going to take a couple of upsets. Six wins is believable.
  • Collins's game-management is dangerous (to us) in a close game.
  • Our FG kicker looks like a good kicker. Our kickoff unit looks good.
  • Our kickoff and punt return teams might be good. We fair caught everything, and we should have.
  • A 41-10 score isn't a good result for us. Some of it is "garbage time" scores, but the more important thing is that we only scored 10. Yes, Clemson has a great defense, but a solid offense puts up more than 10 points against them.
One more thing. Aside from the "run the clock down" decision at the end of the first half, most of us felt like we were in the game down 14-3 at the end of the first, and especially after we forced Clemson 3-and-out to start the second. Looking back, not getting at least 9 or 10 points in the first half put us behind the 8-ball.

The tale of the quarters:

Q1: Defensive standoff. Our offense couldn't move the ball. Lost opportunities. We were happy with the result, but this was a quarter we needed to be good on offense for the upset. Way too many 3-and-outs. We needed points in this quarter. More importantly, we didn't stay ahead of the chains--our offensive efficiency wasn't good. 0-0.
Q2: We made offensive adjustments. Clemson blocked a punt and got a contended TD on a 5 yard drive. The blocked punt was huge--it may have changed the entire game. Clemson is much better playing from ahead. The second TD Clemson needed all four downs on 4th and goal. We missed a FG and got a FG, but we needed better offensive efficiency. Mistakes meant we had to settle for FGs instead of TDs. The score looked OK, but we didn't capitalize on our drives. 14-3.
Q3: We hold Clemson 3-and-out and score a TD. They come back and get a FG. Then, we go 3-and-out--that was a dagger. Clemson scores a TD. Then we start going 3-and-out a lot. We need clutch plays and we don't make them. As bad as the second blocked punt was, going 3-and-out killed us in the 3Q. We end the 3rd down 24-10, and we're in trouble because the offense is offline.
Q4: Our sins catch up to us. We can't move the ball. Blocked punt puts us down 34-10 and the wheels come off.

If we score more than 20, Clemson doesn't score 41. Our inefficiency on offense let Clemson get too many opportunities and their defense too much rest. Their offense wasn't that good against our defense--we gave them too many chances.

Jeff Schultz has a good point here (shorter version of what I said with "offensive efficiency"):

+1

saved me a LOT of typing... Thank You!

2 for 16 speaks volumes...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Really disappointed at the turnout. About 85% of the lower bowl maybe 90% for what was billed as a sellout. Lots of empty Clemson seats in prime real estate. I'm not sure I like this Benz deal but understand why we did it.
I was probably in the "crowd" of less than a thousand GT fans left in the stands when Clemson last scored. For a "home" game, we must have had a bunch of folks sell their tickets to Clemson fans. Lots of orange in the stadium last night.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Time-wise it's plenty enough, but that game didn't give me an indication one way or another as to whether we're going to end up with six wins against the rest of the schedule. Some positives and some negatives, but we'll just have to see how the OL performs against a more average/normal DL to make a determination about how the rest of the season is going to unfold. Few if any injuries, and we can be thankful for that.
Agree, I don't think it's quite fair to judge the O-line vs Clemson. Not many teams will look good against Clemson offensively.

There's also first game jitters (which I guess everyone has) that I think affected our line more since most of them haven't played together.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
+1

saved me a LOT of typing... Thank You!

2 for 16 speaks volumes...
What's interesting is I don't recall too many of those third downs as particularly long. One thing I do think we did a nice job with was making positive yards on 2nd down and staying out of 3rd and long. Seemed like we were in several 2nd and long situations that we got positive yards to make 3rd down "makeable." Granted, "makeable" seems to be a relative term, but... someone with stats confirm or deny that?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I think fans have a gripe with the principle of the decision. No one here thinks we were going 70 yards in a minute. But our coach cowered.
This is it. In effect, CGC was saying to his offense, “I don’t have confidence in you to score, or even protect the ball, in the last 45 seconds of the half.” If I were on the O, that would have been demoralizing at worst, frustrating at best.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There were 3 or 4 plays where the running back was bouncing around behind the line of scrimmage looking for a crease and found it. Linebackers could have filled those holes but ran to the wrong spot.

On a different play, with no bouncing around, the back scored on 4th and goal and there was no linebacker to be found as a wide open hole opened up.

Are you expecting perfect play every time? Because Clemson had two runs of 10+ yards and one was the broken pitch where the QB should have been sacked. So maybe there were a handful of runs where the LBs could have gotten to a hole a little bit quicker, but they weren't gashed and in the end Clemson was held to 3.2 ypa and much of that was gained once the D was worn down and lost one of our top players. You could probably find a handful of our runs that were similar. It's just really hard to be that good every single play.

The defense may yet show cracks this year but I don't think we can really point to any after game one except maybe depth.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is it. In effect, CGC was saying to his offense, “I don’t have confidence in you to score, or even protect the ball, in the last 45 seconds of the half.” If I were on the O, that would have been demoralizing at worst, frustrating at best.
That's the biggest problem I had with it, that it sends the wrong message. And yeah, bad stuff might have happened had we tried to move the ball down into field goal range in the last 45 seconds, but if we're not going to try, why are we even there? Was he just trying to keep the score close?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What's interesting is I don't recall too many of those third downs as particularly long. One thing I do think we did a nice job with was making positive yards on 2nd down and staying out of 3rd and long. Seemed like we were in several 2nd and long situations that we got positive yards to make 3rd down "makeable." Granted, "makeable" seems to be a relative term, but... someone with stats confirm or deny that?

We had a couple 3rd and 10+ but for the most part we just had too many 3rd and 5-7s. Not so long that it feels very unlikely to convert, but long enough where it is against Clemson's defense.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
From the previous thread about what we wanted to see in this game:

Offense: I want to be 75% on TDs from the red zone. And have less than 5% empty possessions from the red zone.

Defense: I want 4+ TFL or sacks from the DL and at least see our DBs watching the ball in if not picking up PBUs.

ST: no broken seam coverages on punts or Kickoffs; no blocked kicks and no missed PATs.
Defense: hit the target of 4+ TFL and our DBs had some nice 3rd down and endzone PBUs to force punts or FGs. I was pleased

ST: Push.. They did improve coverage on kickoffs and punts, had some boomer kick offs. Didn't allow any real big run backs but obviously two blocked punts is inexcusable and hurt us badly. The FG unit showed some life though so overall I got no more or less than what I was looking for.

Offense: We looked much improved at QB. OL still struggled with those False Starts (some was a combo of first game jitters and also the push Clemson's DL showed, but we also held up fairly well in moments and I think we will be improved going into this short week.

I still dislike the call to handle the end of the first half how we did. It may have been the conservative call that stats would back up, but I think it sends a message that we had no confidence in our ability to just play within ourselves for 40 seconds. I am fine with not gunning for a block (to avoid a running into the kicker call) but hated seeing us not make them spot, snap and kick the ball. We saw DJ bobble a snap early on, and there was some pressure there for Clemson. Discretion may be the better part of valor, but sometimes you have to send the message that you believe in the team and the plan.

I understand even coming out and just running some quick slant routes to the outside or delayed QB Keepers or something but to just say "we are afraid of taking the ball" is too much for me to stomach.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Others have mostly covered what I saw/felt watching the game live.

Some things I will underscore or add:
  • I wished we called the timeouts end of first half. Collins offered his explanation in the postgame presser. Agree or disagree, I see both sides. But I see folks are projecting "cowering" as the reason, which I don't think we did last night. We went for it on 4th down three times, converted two of them, including a 4th and 1 (or 2) from our own 37 in the first quarter. Great call/execution. Also loved the swagger on the 4th and 6ish conversion in the 3rd quarter - zipped in a dart on the slant route and great catch by Malik Rutherford.
  • I definitely feel like the last second lateral to Shipley from D.J as he was getting sacked was a gamechanger. D.J. just looked/felt more comfortable from that point forward. It was the play Clemson "needed".
  • Losing Charlie sucked. If there's a rulebook explanation that was offered on TV, I'd love to hear it. I'm not sure what you coach him to do differently on the play. I'm glad the next game is Western Carolina since we'll miss him for a half.
  • For years I've soapboxed on "Turnovers and Special Teams". If you win those phases of the game, you have a shot unless entirely outmanned. Special Teams we obviously lost big time. I think the game flow would have been different if not for the first blocked punt and 5 yd TD drive. Could have been a totally different vibe and game pressure late in the 3rd quarter.
Net result: My outlook for the year is still "wait and see". I wish yesterday's game was played on Saturday. Just not a fan of the built-in disadvantage of playing 3 games in 12 days. I really think Ole Miss will be a better barometer of what's to come otherwise, and hopefully we can make quick work of Western Carolina to "catch up" on the lost rest.

GTBlaze

Banned
The weak link of Offiense is #67 O-Line. This dude missed I counted 4 critical blocks and had a few false starts. He is just not good at all and needs to be benched immediatly

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I was probably in the "crowd" of less than a thousand GT fans left in the stands when Clemson last scored. For a "home" game, we must have had a bunch of folks sell their tickets to Clemson fans. Lots of orange in the stadium last night.
We had a late arriving crowd but up through the fluke toss-with your knee an inch off the ground to a rb just hanging out after a failed black play, Id say we had a majority of fans (slim majority but a majority regardless) Im sure alot of seats were sold by Tech "fans" and add in an 8pm kick on a school/work night several clempson and Tech fans just didnt show up. But the air went out of our sail on that fluke play and the CT ejection ripped our sails.