Clemson 41 - GT 10

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
Man, it looks bad when you run three times up the middle 5 minutes left and then their true freshman QB comes in and moves it right down the field for a TD in under two minutes or so. Don't understand Collin's lack of willingness to at least try to go down field. I get the OL issues, but at least throw a couple up. Similar to the end of the first half situation. I just don't get Collins' coaching at all.

Infuriating not that we lost, but it's like CGC plays scared. Guess what? We lost anyways even playing conservative, and no it wasn't close in the end.

Don't take the 10 second runoff and see if you can get a field or anything out of it. How about Coach does what his job is which I hope everyone would agree is to play to win.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Infuriating not that we lost, but it's like CGC plays scared. Guess what? We lost anyways even playing conservative, and no it wasn't close in the end.

Don't take the 10 second runoff and see if you can get a field or anything out of it. How about Coach does what his job is which I hope everyone would agree is to play to win.

Shhhhh.... don't be critical of Collins or AugustaJacket will think you're taking potshots....

I kid, I kid AJ...... :LOL: 🤣 ;)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
No I don't. Dabo has a history of this. Cole Stoudt started over Deshaun Watson for a couple of games. Kelly Bryant started over Lawrence for a few games.

Yep, this is correct. Get the experienced guy to start the season and let the new kid show how good he is until it becomes clear that he is superior to the older experienced guy.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
...The punts are pretty deep when he gets them off. Is it just me or are his strides WAY longer than they were last year?

If I recall he has a rugby background from Ireland. Even though he never punted an american football prior to coming here, his style definitely has "rugby-style" moves to it and has practically zero resemblance to traditional american football punting technique. Most punt teams do very little blocking due to wanting to get downfield to cover the kick and to generally getting not much rush except for certain situations. I went to bed at halftime but the first block was due to his rugby-style technique and an unusual amount of rush that wasn't accounted for by our LOS. either someone has to coach our punter to quicken his pace which I doubt can happen or tell our blockers to watch out for and account for more rushing. This has been exposed as weakness after last night.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
If I recall he has a rugby background from Ireland. Even though he never punted an american football prior to coming here, his style definitely has "rugby-style" moves to it and has practically zero resemblance to traditional american football punting technique. Most punt teams do very little blocking due to wanting to get downfield to cover the kick and to generally getting not much rush except for certain situations. I went to bed at halftime but the first block was due to his rugby-style technique and an unusual amount of rush that wasn't accounted for by our LOS. either someone has to coach our punter to quicken his pace which I doubt can happen or tell our blockers to watch out for and account for more rushing. This has been exposed as weakness after last night.

Why do you think he can't quicken his pace? Would seem like a logical thing to work on, right?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
To clarify, D line played well and secondary gave good run support. It just seemed like the linebackers were not involved in many of the plays. So I definitely agree that our D line did a good job stuffing the run. Said that on my game summary.

I guess I need to look up stats on number of tackles made by different players too.
I don't know which sack it was in the first half (if we got more than 1, i don't remember) but it was a coverage sack. DJU held on to the ball seemingly forever until we were able to get to him. I think the DBs had an overall better game. As a group, they seemed much improved over last year's "...Fire Drills" at times.

SkyGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Why can't the GT tickets reps just tell us that instead of all this smoke & mirrors crap?

So you're saying that the UNC game last year as it was not a CFA game allowed GT to handle all the tickets but this year's game they were all basically locked out and knowingly going to go empty?

These tickets are not “included”, you still have to purchase them at face value. My wife and I are season ticket holders to the Falcons in these seats and we purchased the UNC, Norte Dame, Clemson tickets. This section was sold out, as we tried to secure extra tickets. Unfortunately 24 hours prior to the game the prices dropped below face value, so I’m assuming weather, or something kept people from going.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
There’s no way 10-20 empty rows of seats were all “I’m not going to the game because of weather” or whatever other excuse there was. If there were a few fans dotted in the section I’d buy it. It smelled of the same ticket management algorithm GT uses. You only put a percentage of the tickets on the market and manage the resale market to not let ticket prices drop too low. There was never a sell out. It was all BS.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did you not watch the OL? You want to drive 80-90 yds downfield with the performance they gave.
The run out the clock was fine.
Got guys calmed down and coached up at Half time - are we allowed to say good job coaches and players- way to come out and shut them down and then drive down and score. IMO - that was great.

At game and at row 16 i was watching this clemson dl and lb attack our ol. It was like a CAT 4 PLUS HURRICANE. They brought coordinsted violence.. SIMS had to act fast and he did but LB covered quickly

After the first play under and u tremoundous rush -
"'Sims had Zero int."
Are we allowed to complement the coach's and Sims for a great off-season improvement ?

The ground level look at our DL s violence - "At times CAT 3 with strong lb play". Big improvement from last year occasionally windy.
Thacker had his DL sitting on the bench right in front of us on the 20. He was one his knees and had a tablet showing them this and that- they were all Engaged. Real something to be optimistic about. If DT 27 and 5 TC can keep up their game to get close to CT and ZW, it could be really good.

Now to fan support - Clemson 3 Gt 1 but the 1 was having fun.

Head coach is still a Head scratcher.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Even though the score came out so bad. That is one of the better looking games (If not the best) I have seen CGC have when playing a strong opponent. Offense and Defense looks vastly improved. CGC still sucks as a game day coach.

But this performance gives me hope that we could win 6+ games and go to a bowl game. We just need a get back coach(Time Out) for CGC.

I also thought we were tackling much better

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Only things I'm super concerned about are OL performance, punt team, and game management by the HC. I think if these boys don't get down on themselves, we could win 6-7, MAYBE 8 if we're lucky. The team that played the first three quarters last night can win some ballgames.
I’m hopeful as well, but I’m not sure a team with a coach with as poor a game management skills as we have can get about .500 - and at least not consistently. We will consistently lose close games for this reason, and unless you’re elite (like real elite, not the hype kind) you don’t blow everyone out - which means you have to win close games. Every attempt we get will be an uphill battle.

I think the frustration from last night lies largely in the game management issues, penalties, and blocked punts. All of those things should have been avoided, and if they had been I believe we would have had a chance to win the game. Instead we lose by 32.