Clean, Old Fashioned Hate

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Online Athens: As Georgia Tech declares itself 'State Champs,' UGA senior vows to 'get that trophy back'

Worth reading, lot of good quotes...

Georgia used to prominently push the lopsided nature of the series with the slogan ‘We Run This State,’ something Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson brought up when asked about the “State Champs” on the rings.

“We just copied Georgia,” Johnson said. “They’re the guys who started ‘We Run This State.’ We just kind of played off that.”

The talk of all of this makes Georgia senior offensive tackle Kolton Houston noticeably agitated.

“Yeah, you know, that hurts,” Houston said. “That game will always hurt. Even when I’m 50, 60 years old. That game will always hurt. But life’s not perfect. You can’t win every game, but we’re going to come back strong this year.”

Here's the closer....

Houston didn’t make a Joe Namath type guarantee exactly, but he did say this regarding the Governor’s Cup: “We’re going to get that trophy back in our locker room.”

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This game is by far the most stressful game to watch every single year. Even in 2000 when we basically spanked them it started to get stressful in the second half when we basically ceased scoring and started to let them make it interesting. I'd love to just smack them around one time. Thought we were going to in 2013, but we all know how that ended up...

I'll take a 3-2 win if that's what it takes...just want to keep this feeling going for a couple years

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think had GT remained in the SEC, we would easily be UGA's #1 rival.

However, when we left the SEC, we became more of an "emotional" in state rivalry. Unless UGA is in the hunt for a national championship, which they really have never been at the end of the season when they play us, the GT game really doesn't impact them like winning/losing against their SEC rivals. Those SEC games have a "tangible" result as it affects their conference standings.

During Richt's tenure, no other team has been a bigger hindrance to UGA's SEC title aspirations than the Urban Meyer/Steve Spurrier UF teams. I think that's the reason why UGA fans claim UF to be a bigger rivalry (no matter how one sided it's been). Add to that, they both share a border, recruit the same SAs, and hold one of the more iconic rivalry games in college football (The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party). So UF games are an event for both schools

As others have said, GT isn't important to UGA...unless they lose to us. Which honestly, hasn't been a problem for them but twice during Richt's tenure. I think the next two seasons with JeT, and the talent we're accumulating to close the talent gap, represents GT's best chance at creating a winning streak that will really stick a craw into every UGA fan.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

However, when we left the SEC, we became more of an "emotional" in state rivalry. Unless UGA is in the hunt for a national championship, which they really have never been at the end of the season when they play us, the GT game really doesn't impact them like winning/losing against their SEC rivals. Those SEC games have a "tangible" result as it affects their conference standings.

During Richt's tenure, no other team has been a bigger hindrance to UGA's SEC title aspirations than the Urban Meyer/Steve Spurrier UF teams. I think that's the reason why UGA fans claim UF to be a bigger rivalry (no matter how one sided it's been). Add to that, they both share a border, recruit the same SAs, and hold one of the more iconic rivalry games in college football (The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party). So UF games are an event for both schools

As others have said, GT isn't important to UGA...unless they lose to us. Which honestly, hasn't been a problem for them but twice during Richt's tenure. I think the next two seasons with JeT, and the talent we're accumulating to close the talent gap, represents GT's best chance at creating a winning streak that will really stick a craw into every UGA fan.
I wanna see JeT pull a Goose!

2000godsey.jpg

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck

I think people (not you Techster, just people like many Georgia fans) watch too much ESPN for their definition of rivalry, and then listen as ESPN and like incentivized voices tell them what rivalries matter.

Win/Loss closeness? Impact on playoff standings? That's a friendly little competition, friends. ESPN really wants you to care about who's gonna win and who's gonna go to the playoffs so you'll watch 3 hours of inane talking heads a day. And that's fine, if that's how you want to fill your mindless TV time. I like Law and Order for that, so I'm not going to throw any stones.

But let me ask you this: does Florida or Auburn massively increase turnout when that school in Athens plays them in baseball, women's basketball, softball, or swimming and diving? Does the rivalry burn just as hot in men's basketball year after year? Would the fans shout just as loud at a Golf event?

Does the Red Cross use your rivalry to get people to give more blood on campus?

No? That's a sports 'rivalry'. (copyright ESPN 1999)

And I hope I don't hurt any feelings here, but I'll be bold to say a fan that shows up to every football game but never goes to a basketball game or baseball game, much less something non-revenue like a softball game isn't one tenth the fan that one who shows up to cheer on their school in any sport. In exactly the same way, piddly little one sport rivalries are meaningless in the face of Clean, Old Fashioned Hate.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think people (not you Techster, just people like many Georgia fans) watch too much ESPN for their definition of rivalry, and then listen as ESPN and like incentivized voices tell them what rivalries matter.

Win/Loss closeness? Impact on playoff standings? That's a friendly little competition, friends. ESPN really wants you to care about who's gonna win and who's gonna go to the playoffs so you'll watch 3 hours of inane talking heads a day. And that's fine, if that's how you want to fill your mindless TV time. I like Law and Order for that, so I'm not going to throw any stones.

But let me ask you this: does Florida or Auburn massively increase turnout when that school in Athens plays them in baseball, women's basketball, softball, or swimming and diving? Does the rivalry burn just as hot in men's basketball year after year? Would the fans shout just as loud at a Golf event?

Does the Red Cross use your rivalry to get people to give more blood on campus?

No? That's a sports 'rivalry'. (copyright ESPN 1999)

And I hope I don't hurt any feelings here, but I'll be bold to say a fan that shows up to every football game but never goes to a basketball game or baseball game, much less something non-revenue like a softball game isn't one tenth the fan that one who shows up to cheer on their school in any sport. In exactly the same way, piddly little one sport rivalries are meaningless in the face of Clean, Old Fashioned Hate.

On the other side of that...why do they need to advertise "clean old fashioned hate" for those events unless it's the only way to bring in fans? Get what I'm saying?

I'm not interested enough in doing the research, but what's the attendance difference between GT/UGA sporting events and UGA/SEC rival sporting events you mentioned? It's nice to say that GT/UGA events pack the place, but until hard data is given it's just a talking point.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The talk of all of this makes Georgia senior offensive tackle Kolton Houston noticeably agitated.

Senior? This guy was granted a 6th year of eligibility and he is only a senior? What happened to academic progress rates? He will be 24 when we play this November...

I assume he is right that the game will still hurt when he is 50 or 60. He will still likely be at U(sic)GA working on his degree in "Family Finance Planning."

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Sports writers only use their eligibility designations when writing about players. Slob is coming in for a masters but because he has a year of eligibility left he will be referred to as a Senior. JeT was a third year player last year but only in his sophomore year of eligibility so everyone called him a sophomore.

They're not saying anything about Houston other than he has one year of eligibility left. They called him a senior last year too.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
They just had a 4 star redshirt fresh QB leave the team after apparently having difficulty breaking into the 2 deep. Despite their pickup up 4 star Lambert from UVA our JeT/,TB combo will be far better than whta they willput on the field.
http://247sports.com/Article/BREAKI...arterback-Jacob-Park-leaves-the-team-37684284 "Dawgs247 has confirmed through multiple sources that redshirt freshman quarterback Jacob Park is no longer with the Georgia football team. In his second season with UGA, Park was thought to be a major contender for the Bulldogs' open quarterback job going into the spring, but received far fewer first-team reps than Brice Ramsey or Faton Bauta in any of the team's scrimmages."

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Neither one of these guys scares me all that much. I imagine whoever wins the job will play a role very similar to Mason. Short passes to skill position players...very low risk plays, etc.