Clean, Old Fashioned Hate

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I've heard it depends mostly on the generation of fan. Some rank us as their #1 rival, some #3 behind Florida and Auburn. More of the recent fans are the latter. One thing is consistent though, while Florida is the game they want to win most, we're the team they hate to lose to most. More than Spurrier.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don't let anyone fool you. We are absolutely #1 biggest rival for uga. Just ask Ray Goff or Jim Donnen. Goff was almost run out of town after losing two-in-a-row to GT in 1990 and 1991. Jim Donnen was fired for losing 3 in 1998, 1999 and 2000. If Richt had the record in the early 2000's against Tech that he had against Florida, he wouldn't be their coach today. It's easy to discount a rival when you dominate them in the W/L category. We're only "not their biggest rival" when they're dominating the series. They only care about Tech when they're losing to us.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Don't let anyone fool you. We are absolutely #1 biggest rival for uga. Just ask Ray Goff or Jim Donnen. Goff was almost run out of town after losing two-in-a-row to GT in 1990 and 1991. Jim Donnen was fired for losing 3 in 1998, 1999 and 2000. If Richt had the record in the early 2000's against Tech that he had against Florida, he wouldn't be their coach today. It's easy to discount a rival when you dominate them in the W/L category. We're only "not their biggest rival" when they're dominating the series. They only care about Tech when they're losing to us.
Well said.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Beating us, or rather us losing, saved unrichts job at least one year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I've heard it depends mostly on the generation of fan. Some rank us as their #1 rival, some #3 behind Florida and Auburn. More of the recent fans are the latter. One thing is consistent though, while Florida is the game they want to win most, we're the team they hate to lose to most. More than Spurrier.
When we beat them, we become number 1, no matter the age. They just do not admit it:)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Need to end the losing streak to the mutts at home to really put the fire back in the rivalry. I don't think there's any question Richt and his coaches put a maximum amount of effort and emphasis on this game. And PJ can say - publicly - all he wants about it being another game, but come on, who really believes that, given his reactions to winning last November. Trust me, dude wants to beat Georgia.
The way we've won in the PJ era - the brilliant comeback in 08, the stealing victory from the jaws of defeat last season - I think we've got their attention again.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Need to end the losing streak to the mutts at home to really put the fire back in the rivalry. I don't think there's any question Richt and his coaches put a maximum amount of effort and emphasis on this game. And PJ can say - publicly - all he wants about it being another game, but come on, who really believes that, given his reactions to winning last November. Trust me, dude wants to beat Georgia.
The way we've won in the PJ era - the brilliant comeback in 08, the stealing victory from the jaws of defeat last season - I think we've got their attention again.
Put the fire back in it? Maybe from Georgia's perspective, but from what I've read, the only thing that burned Atlanta hotter than this game was Sherman's march. And that time home team advantage didn't count.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm looking forward to beating the Mutts at BDS this season to start another COFH winning streak. But in addition to that, I want to see the entire stadium in White and Gold with the only red and black being concentrated in the S/E corner where the visiting band and fans are seated, and NOWHERE else in the stands!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking forward to beating the Mutts at BDS this season to start another COFH winning streak. But in addition to that, I want to see the entire stadium in White and Gold with the only red and black being concentrated in the S/E corner where the visiting band and fans are seated, and NOWHERE else in the stands!
Don't worry, when we go into this game undefeated the fan base will be fully energized and show out like we haven't for a while. Mind=rite

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Some uga fans will say we aren't even a rival, but I think that's just to make them feel good about themselves and or to try and make us think we aren't relevant.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If the truth were known, I think their biggest worry is us starting to believe, they think we have had a mental block against beating them, sort of like they had with FL.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm in an unique position to offer insight into this and here is what I have gathered from my time as a tech fan at UGA.

The vast majority of recent graduates and current students rank Florida as their #1 with Auburn or Tech #2. The main reason for this is due to what I call older sibling mentality. They have grown up and been in school for nothing but UGA always beating Tech. Whereas the UF series has been a bit more one sided to UF's side.

Like any fan base they are swayed by who they haven't beaten consistently in a while to be the one they most want to beat. Therefore most uga fans want to beat UF because in their eyes Tech is year in and year out a for sure win.

Now because tech is seen as a for sure win and even on bad years UGA should beat Tech when Tech actually wins it is written off as a fluke (like last year and 08) or as a sign that the coaches obviously had to have done something wrong. These reasons are a huge reason why UGA fans hate to lost to tech. In their kinds they are the older stronger taller more talented sibling and if they lose the game of horse to little brother it was obviously a freak occurrence and not a true indicator of how things are.

So as a relatively recent UGA alumnus I would say to most recent alums and students rank UF as their biggest "rival" just because their definition of rival is smaller than what the word actually means.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm in an unique position to offer insight into this and here is what I have gathered from my time as a tech fan at UGA.

The vast majority of recent graduates and current students rank Florida as their #1 with Auburn or Tech #2. The main reason for this is due to what I call older sibling mentality. They have grown up and been in school for nothing but UGA always beating Tech. Whereas the UF series has been a bit more one sided to UF's side.

Like any fan base they are swayed by who they haven't beaten consistently in a while to be the one they most want to beat. Therefore most uga fans want to beat UF because in their eyes Tech is year in and year out a for sure win.

Now because tech is seen as a for sure win and even on bad years UGA should beat Tech when Tech actually wins it is written off as a fluke (like last year and 08) or as a sign that the coaches obviously had to have done something wrong. These reasons are a huge reason why UGA fans hate to lost to tech. In their kinds they are the older stronger taller more talented sibling and if they lose the game of horse to little brother it was obviously a freak occurrence and not a true indicator of how things are.

So as a relatively recent UGA alumnus I would say to most recent alums and students rank UF as their biggest "rival" just because their definition of rival is smaller than what the word actually means.
You count your arch rival by who do you least want to lose to. I mean, which game on your schedule tears at your heart if you lose. For uga, that's Tech not Florida. Maybe the fans set as a goal for the year to finally beat Florida on a more regular basis, but if you ask them honestly which game on their schedule it hurts most to lose, the vast majority will say that Tech game, and that's how I define the biggest rival.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Now because tech is seen as a for sure win and even on bad years UGA should beat Tech when Tech actually wins it is written off as a fluke (like last year and 08) or as a sign that the coaches obviously had to have done something wrong. These reasons are a huge reason why UGA fans hate to lost to tech.
This is why we need several wins with huge lopsided scores. The emotional swings of last year's game were great but leaves UGA fans with opportunities for making excuses for the loss.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
You count your arch rival by who do you least want to lose to. I mean, which game on your schedule tears at your heart if you lose. For uga, that's Tech not Florida. Maybe the fans set as a goal for the year to finally beat Florida on a more regular basis, but if you ask them honestly which game on their schedule it hurts most to lose, the vast majority will say that Tech game, and that's how I define the biggest rival.
That may be how you define rival but like I said most younger UGA fans have a different definition.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I believe we beat them in 1989 and 1990. The 1991 game was lost when (shocker coming) a bad call by an SEC official turned things around. Bobby Ross' last game at Grant Field--I still remember that day.