Classy yet perplexing tweet from Vad Lee

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
imo play calling had nothing to do with vad leaving. he didnt like getting hit. i dont recall which game it was but there was an early game that changed how he reacted to getting hit. from that game on a slight breeze could bring vad down.

he just didnt have the right mind set for gt as i saw it. i was happy he left. i just wish he would have made the decision early on so we could have played a qb that wanted to be here instead of a quitter but that is jut my opinion based on what i saw during the season.

To be fair, we were all screaming for Vad to replace Tevin in 2011 and heralded the coming of Vad in 2012 as the next Jesus. Things just didn't work out the way everyone expected. Him leaving was best for both sides but I wish could've gotten a shot at the NFL.

GTFLETCH

Banned
From what I've heard, Vad REALLY loved GT, Atlanta, and his teammates (he actually still keeps in touch with his GT teammates on twitter). He just wanted a shot to play in the NFL and thought it was best for him to play in another offense.
Boy was he ever wrong....Changing teams never gets a guy at shot in the NFL..It takes hard work, devotion to team and teammates, hours of hard work outside of the normal practice hours... It Sounds like he is trying to stay connected via networking even though he never got the degree..

GTFLETCH

Banned
To be fair, we were all screaming for Vad to replace Tevin in 2011 and heralded the coming of Vad in 2012 as the next Jesus. Things just didn't work out the way everyone expected. Him leaving was best for both sides but I wish could've gotten a shot at the NFL.

Yes I drank the Kool Aid...However I did not realize he would quite and not put the time into being a better QB... He did real well at the FCS level...Did not have the drive or heart to compete and lead at the FNS level, No disgrace in realizing your limitations and enjoying yourself.... But to say anyone at JMU has a better chance of joint the NFL over someone at GT is crazy!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes I drank the Kool Aid...However I did not realize he would quite and not put the time into being a better QB... He did real well at the FCS level...Did not have the drive or heart to compete and lead at the FNS level, No disgrace in realizing your limitations and enjoying yourself.... But to say anyone at JMU has a better chance of joint the NFL over someone at GT is crazy!!
You might want to make an exception for QB because of the nature of the Tech offense. "Run first" in the NFL gets your QB maimed in the first quarter. See RGIII for instance. The days when a Fran Tarkenton could run all over the field being chased by 220 pound linebackers are long gone and now behemoths bear down on them.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
If you can't take a hit, you are in the wrong business. That is why I never went out for football, getting hit was no fun for a tall, fast, skinny person.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The Georgia game was definitely one of his best games at Tech, but I was at Clemson, when he took a slide a good 5 yards from the oncoming Clemson defender at one point during the game.
I didn't see that and can't dispute it but sometimes what they see on the field is not what we see in the stands. I was at Duke in '09 I think it was, as 50-yard line seat, midway up, on the Duke side (before they actually won something, and while if you would wait for a quarter you could sit anywhere you wanted as the exodus commenced) when Dwyer ran out of bounds after 15 or 20 yards. He was loudly ridiculed by a Dookie sitting to one side, accusing him of cowardice and berating him for not taking the hit from a cornerback bearing down on him. Exactly how Dwyer was supposed to hit him back when the CB was closing from behind and slightly to his left. There was no way Dwyer could have done anything other than get out of bounds or take a huge hit from behind at an angle. He had no defense at all ... except to get out. I thought it reasonable but then I was a GT fan who figured that the back who had to hammer head on into defenses all game was not shying away from contact for no reason.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vad played behind one of the worst OL performances of CPJ's time at GT. Vad in 2013 and JT in 2015 faced an avalanche of defenders on every passing down. Although, I do believe JT handled the constant pressure every down better than Vad. Both QBs suffered in perception due to the OL play when thier ability was in reality higher than on field performance.

2016 OL had much better play. I am hoping Freddie was not the lynch pin Shaq was in 2014... or we have a lynch pin replacement for 2017. Don't get me wrong, Freddie is an awesome leader. The question is if his absence will leave the same hole Shaq did in 2015.

GTFLETCH

Banned
You might want to make an exception for QB because of the nature of the Tech offense. "Run first" in the NFL gets your QB maimed in the first quarter. See RGIII for instance. The days when a Fran Tarkenton could run all over the field being chased by 220 pound linebackers are long gone and now behemoths bear down on them.

I think a QB in GT offense can make it to the league... They may have to switch positions...Much like J. MCKINNON of Georgia Southern has done..(plays RB for Minnesota)

I also think a college player like Mike Vick, RGIII, Dak Prescott, DeShaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, Tim Tebow all could have run Paul Johnson offense and also make it to the league as a QB..

Vad Lee's was done at Tech the second after he took that big hit in the UNC game. He'd apparently never been hit like that because he wasn't the same after that play the rest of the season. I believe he mentally checked out from that point on. Some kids can take a hit some can't. A QB in this system needs to be as mentally strong as he is physically. If he isn't 100% committed to what Paul is doing, then he won't be here long.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think a QB in GT offense can make it to the league... They may have to switch positions...Much like J. MCKINNON of Georgia Southern has done..(plays RB for Minnesota)

I also think a college player like Mike Vick, RGIII, Dak Prescott, DeShaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, Tim Tebow all could have run Paul Johnson offense and also make it to the league as a QB..
True to some extent, but the obvious is we had none of those guys, and for a reason. (And your selections kind of come apart with Teboe, who as with Nesbitt, probably played QB on the only team in America he could have. We know his history since. Great college winner, but no tools for the pros at any position except maybe, just maybe, tight end?)

I didn't see that and can't dispute it but sometimes what they see on the field is not what we see in the stands. I was at Duke in '09 I think it was, as 50-yard line seat, midway up, on the Duke side (before they actually won something, and while if you would wait for a quarter you could sit anywhere you wanted as the exodus commenced) when Dwyer ran out of bounds after 15 or 20 yards. He was loudly ridiculed by a Dookie sitting to one side, accusing him of cowardice and berating him for not taking the hit from a cornerback bearing down on him. Exactly how Dwyer was supposed to hit him back when the CB was closing from behind and slightly to his left. There was no way Dwyer could have done anything other than get out of bounds or take a huge hit from behind at an angle. He had no defense at all ... except to get out. I thought it reasonable but then I was a GT fan who figured that the back who had to hammer head on into defenses all game was not shying away from contact for no reason.
That would be a good comparison if Vad had headed for the sideline or just tried to juke him a little before sliding, but he slid with a good 5 yards in between him and the oncoming Tiger.

I think Deshaun Watson would have thrived in our offense and gotten a shot at QB in the NFL. Cam Newton too.

slugboy

Staff member
I remember the UNC game because I thought that the Tarheels were going after Vad extra-hard because they were scared of him.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
GT QB's don't put up enough stats for them to have a chance at the NFL. That said CPJ made concessions for Vad to put the ball in the air more. Vad didn't hold his end by learning the base offense.
All in all Vad was successful at GT, he didn't have a losing record.

This was pretty.

Last edited: