CJP Said What????

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It irritates me to know end that Pitt can go 0 for 16 (or was it 18) , fire their coach and then the next year appear to have more talent than we have. You guy can defend the current recruiting/transfers strategy and take the "who would have guessed" attitude forever but at the end of the day we have TALENT issues and the buck stops at the top - period. I like Devoe but we need more players than him and the level we are at is not acceptable.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It irritates me to know end that Pitt can go 0 for 16 (or was it 18) , fire their coach and then the next year appear to have more talent than we have. You guy can defend the current recruiting/transfers strategy and take the "who would have guessed" attitude forever but at the end of the day we have TALENT issues and the buck stops at the top - period. I like Devoe but we need more players than him and the level we are at is not acceptable.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Wait wait....

You should have started another thread with this comment

slugboy

Staff member
Yup. Furthermore, in November nobody thought Okogie would go high enough to leave. Nothing seemed even 50/50 until he started his pre-draft workouts and got feedback in the spring.

I remember it more that most thought he could use another year of coaching, but would probably go early second round if he threw his hat in.
Later, it was more hope that he would stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is alot of revisionist history going on in this thread.

GT had 3 schollies available. They had already gotten Sjolund who they really liked.
They wanted a PG and a wing with the other 2 schollies.
Devoe was the #1 PG on their board. Johnson was #2. Devoe came in first and committed a couple of days before Johnson was scheduled to visit because he knew there was a chance Johnson could commit on his visit. Once he committed GT cancelled Johnson's visit and he committed to Nebraska.

GT had Talen Horton Tucker as their #1 target for the wing but he stayed closer to home (and with one of his buddies) and went to Iowa State. After he went there GT signed Moore.

When Johnson decommitted from Nebraska and went to the Spring GT wasn't an option for him because GT already had both Jose (who was starting) and Devoe (a Top 50 national recruit).
He went somewhere he felt he was more likely to get immediate playing time.

Much like Okogie, Johnson was not expected to be a big time player early in his career, but proved the skeptics wrong.

I'm also not sure I would say Pitt is more talented than GT, that is probably a stretch. Also, until last week Pitt had zero commits for 2019 and then gained commitments from two 3* players.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not on the wacky tobaccy but, once JoshnKobe made the U19 squad, it was a wrap in terms of him coming back for his junior year.

ETA: Can we call this what it is, c? You're mad because I left you out of the gif, right?

Well, here's your reaction whenever you read the board nowadays ...

incredulous.gif

Nice drivin' gloves, c.

You are perceptive!!

Spot on with the gif!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm sure you didn't post it, Konathan.

:lurking:

Also, today's gonna be a good day. Why? 'Cause Pablo Machado got a mention on NBARadio this morning. Talk about obscure.

They were talking about Machado signing with San Diego then, "Hey, wasn't there a basketball player named Machado? Pablo Machado? Yeah, didn't he play at like ... Iona or something?"

:shifty:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
:lurking:

Also, today's gonna be a good day. Why? 'Cause Pablo Machado got a mention on NBARadio this morning. Talk about obscure.

They were talking about Machado signing with San Diego then, "Hey, wasn't there a basketball player named Machado? Pablo Machado? Yeah, didn't he play at like ... Iona or something?"

:shifty:

I seem to remember him transferring to one of the Loyolas, but not sure.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

We should have hired Bryce Drew. He has recruited well at Vandy.

(My tongue and my cheek hurt)

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Very cute replies - so

s

Is that exchange available? Yes, they are struggling but we certainly haven't brought in a player like Garland. I would make that trade for multiple reasons in a heartbeat.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There is alot of revisionist history going on in this thread.

GT had 3 schollies available. They had already gotten Sjolund who they really liked.
They wanted a PG and a wing with the other 2 schollies.
Devoe was the #1 PG on their board. Johnson was #2. Devoe came in first and committed a couple of days before Johnson was scheduled to visit because he knew there was a chance Johnson could commit on his visit. Once he committed GT cancelled Johnson's visit and he committed to Nebraska.

GT had Talen Horton Tucker as their #1 target for the wing but he stayed closer to home (and with one of his buddies) and went to Iowa State. After he went there GT signed Moore.

When Johnson decommitted from Nebraska and went to the Spring GT wasn't an option for him because GT already had both Jose (who was starting) and Devoe (a Top 50 national recruit).
He went somewhere he felt he was more likely to get immediate playing time.

Much like Okogie, Johnson was not expected to be a big time player early in his career, but proved the skeptics wrong.

I'm also not sure I would say Pitt is more talented than GT, that is probably a stretch. Also, until last week Pitt had zero commits for 2019 and then gained commitments from two 3* players.

I think they are more talented in the back court and wings. I really like how McGowans and Johnson project. Their athleticism is superior to our guys.

We are better coached though and our overall roster is more well rounded

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
You know more than me and maybe I am Monday morning quarterbacking but I want both of them -Devoe and Johnson. If there was no spot for Johnson, then there should have been. The talent on this team is NP5. If you are saying Johnson would not come once Devoe signed as a point guard, then I am more understanding. Are you saying that? The goofiness term I will not let go of though given the Bell fiasco. He got our best player suspended, ruined our season and probably hurt recruiting for several years. It just flat disgusts me to look at our talent level and then have coach defend his recruiting by using Johnson as an example of a turned away player. Johnson is very good and better scorer than any player we have. I like Devoe but he can't score like Johnson can score.
we will find out tonite ;)

slugboy

Staff member
You know more than me and maybe I am Monday morning quarterbacking but I want both of them -Devoe and Johnson. If there was no spot for Johnson, then there should have been. The talent on this team is NP5. If you are saying Johnson would not come once Devoe signed as a point guard, then I am more understanding. Are you saying that? The goofiness term I will not let go of though given the Bell fiasco. He got our best player suspended, ruined our season and probably hurt recruiting for several years. It just flat disgusts me to look at our talent level and then have coach defend his recruiting by using Johnson as an example of a turned away player. Johnson is very good and better scorer than any player we have. I like Devoe but he can't score like Johnson can score.

Devoe spent the offseason in a boot due to a toe injury. It took him a while to acclimate to the game after recovering from his injury. To me, he started coming into his own when we got to ACC play, and has been getting better of late (against the hardest part of our schedule). If he hadn't had that injury, the comparison might be a lot different right now.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
@RamblinRed I trust your memory far more than mine. :) When did Nas opt for Ol Roy? Wasn't it after Devoe and before Khalid? I honestly can't remember all the timing, but it seems like we were in it with Nas til mid or late Feb.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Nassir committed to UNC a week before Khalid committed to us and roughly a month after Devoe committed. UNC and GT were his final two.
He's only playing 18 minutes a game. Man, I wish we could have pulled him in. That's the obvious missing piece on this team.