CJP Said What????

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dt, peac and me just went ...

juhf.gif

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I haven't listened to the call in show but this has to be extrapolated coach speak. Every coach would love to have every good player. Coach K will say right now he wishes he would have had Josh Okogie if you ask him. There's no reason to show his hand like that. If Pastner said that verbatim I'd be shocked.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I haven't listened to the call in show but this has to be extrapolated coach speak. Every coach would love to have every good player. Coach K will say right now he wishes he would have had Josh Okogie if you ask him. There's no reason to show his hand like that. If Pastner said that verbatim I'd be shocked.

You could be right but I doubt it.

CPast is an excuse-maker under the guise of "gee aw shucks, I'm just being honest."

Sorry, that was a low-blow but iiwii.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He probably said it because he was complimenting a player we recruited that plays for our next opponent.

Had Michael Devoe not committed earlier that week at the PG spot, Johnson was set to visit and likely commit. Devoe committed and Johnson's visit was cancelled, while at the time, there was no indication JO was going to play himself in to a 1st rd pick.

Johnson is a nice player, but, at the time, he wasn't someone you processed a kid for. He was a tough nosed, defense first PG.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He probably said it because he was complimenting a player we recruited that plays for our next opponent.

Had Michael Devoe not committed earlier that week at the PG spot, Johnson was set to visit and likely commit. Devoe committed and Johnson's visit was cancelled, while at the time, there was no indication JO was going to play himself in to a 1st rd pick.

Johnson is a nice player, but, at the time, he wasn't someone you processed a kid for. He was a tough nosed, defense first PG.

I'm not disagreeing with you, necessarily. But ... some folks called it pretty early that JoshO was gonna play himself into being a pretty sure-fire pro. It wasn't that hard to see, based on what the league looks for in players nowadays. Pretty sure you saw it early.

I even said 1st round/2nd round doesn't matter as much now and wouldn't matter for him. After his freshman year, it was pretty obvious he was gonna have to turn down the NBA to come back. Why would he do that, especially considering the nonsense that was going on last year?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I'm not disagreeing with you, necessarily. But ... some folks called it pretty early that JoshO was gonna play himself into being a pretty sure-fire pro. It wasn't that hard to see, based on what the league looks for in players nowadays. Pretty sure you saw it early.

I even said 1st round/2nd round doesn't matter as much now and wouldn't matter for him. After his freshman year, it was pretty obvious he was gonna have to turn down the NBA to come back. Why would he do that, especially considering the nonsense that was going on last year?
He saw the signs

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JO making the U19 team was the sign.

Preseason expectations were the sign.

Fulfilling them in ACC play, especially down the stretch was a sign.

In November, when we could have taken Johnson's commit, Devoe committed first and JO was hurt/suspended, with the NBA still far from certain.

In April, when Johnson reopened, JO went in to the draft process viewed as a 2nd rounder, although seemed pretty intent on leaving regardless, and Johnson's lead recruiter had left to run his own show. I forget who else we were on in the Spring, but the Hot List is there to review.

I liked Johnson and he was a take for me, but let's call this thread what it is... One more chance to Monday morning QB Pastner's decision based on headline shock value with no context because people have their knickers in a twist.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

KG - sit the weed pipe down, it is messing with ya memory :cigar:. All that talk about the 1st or 2nd round didn't matter didn't surface until he had declared and been in it a while.

Once he declared and starting making those comments, I agree that it was quite clear, but that was the summer of his Soph. season.

When Johnson visited, he had recently decommitted from Nebraska. I'm not many saw him averaging 17 per game in the ACC.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
KG - sit the weed pipe down, it is messing with ya memory :cigar:. All that talk about the 1st or 2nd round didn't matter didn't surface until he had declared and been in it a while.

Once he declared and starting making those comments, I agree that it was quite clear, but that was the summer of his Soph. season.

When Johnson visited, he had recently decommitted from Nebraska. I'm not many saw him averaging 17 per game in the ACC.

I'm not on the wacky tobaccy but, once JoshnKobe made the U19 squad, it was a wrap in terms of him coming back for his junior year.

We were never in position to turn away live bodies. Certainly not live, D1-caliber guards. He probably wouldn't be a scorer on that level for us but we could certainly use him.

And while I sort of agree with dt that this thread basically exists as a shot at CPast, it's not like shots are undeserved.

ETA: Can we call this what it is, c? You're mad because I left you out of the gif, right?

Well, here's your reaction whenever you read the board nowadays ...

incredulous.gif

Nice drivin' gloves, c.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Making the U19 team was a leading indicator, but far from concluding his departure was a lock.

Don't become one of those posters that are desperate to use one stat or item to propagate their narrative. You're better than that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
"Leading indicator"? I guess. But the bigger picture is that it puts players on a fast-track. Puts them in front of some fairly important 'influencers' at that level.

That combined with his superlative FR year, his actual skillset (which was tremendous) and the fact that he was sure to show out athletically in a combine scenario ... on top of the Bell nonsense ... it was certainly not a stretch to think he was likely to be gone.

But I read you loud and clear. My bias is showing and I promised to avoid the toxic-talk so I'm just gonna leave it alone at this point.

Deleted member 2897

Kind of a yawn to me. We don’t need to be taking on more players than we have scholarships and cutting kids off the team. I’d rather not go there. CJPs quote kind of shows what we here always knew - good for Okogie. But even when it was the spring right before the draft, we were all on here thinking "really? shouldn't he stay another year and get better rather than possibly just barely get drafted, or not get drafted at all?" It was not a done deal and clear he would have a shot until he started doing well in the pre-draft workouts IIRC.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
"Leading indicator"? I guess. But the bigger picture is that it puts players on a fast-track. Puts them in front of some fairly important 'influencers' at that level.

That combined with his superlative FR year, his actual skillset (which was tremendous) and the fact that he was sure to show out athletically in a combine scenario ... on top of the Bell nonsense ... it was certainly not a stretch to think he was likely to be gone.

But I read you loud and clear. My bias is showing and I promised to avoid the toxic-talk so I'm just gonna leave it alone at this point.
Forgot your gif again
MZLW.gif

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
JoshO wasn't a sure fire leave until at the earliest his workouts. Sure you had people saying that he would go early even as early as during his freshman year but a coach isn't going to make a decision based on a called shot from some yahoo on the internet. Most likely we had one spot for PGs and when Devoe committed it dried up. The other ships were probably targeted to a more true wing, since we'd need one to replace Josh O anyways, which we got in Moore, and either a blue chip, or a big, which we got in Banks. If Josh was a sure fire leave then we could have had an open spot for a "take best available" pick, but we didn't.

IMO the bigger issue is that this shows the problem with taking transfers. That take up scholarship opportunities. IMO we shouldn't have taken both Alston based on his production previously, and once we did we shouldn't have doubled down and taken Phillips as well. To me those are the ships that should have gone to Johnson instead.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Forgot your gif again

Gah, I've had that song in my head since reading GTBow's post. Thanks a lot.

Agree with the second part of your post, @lv20gt . Disagree with the first part. No coach relies on interwebs stuff to tell them their players' draft prospects. They have the tools to make a really good assessment pretty early on.