CJ Leggett

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll disagree with you to an extent, boomer. I've always been under the impression days was at aback because of his blocking ability in space. I agree he runs better through contact than he does at the boundary. I just think everyone's glossing over why he's starting at aback because I'm pretty sure it's not his home run threat.
Oh, I agree with you. I love his blocking from the AB position. I am sure you are correct about why he is there now. He is also an underutilized receiving threat too, but we could use that at BB as well. I like Days at AB for all these reasons. I just think his strengths as a runner correlate well to BB. That is all.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Perhaps, but I have to imagine that that ship has sailed, what with him as a RS-SR and a starter at A back (and a solid starter in Laskey)
You are most likely correct about the ship having sailed. If he had a couple seasons left it might be worth a try.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the coaches are considering giving Marcus Allen another look at Bback now that we're thin at the position, especially moving beyond this season. He's not exactly lighting it up at LB.

Seems very reasonable especially now that we are predominantly playing two LBs instead of three. Marcus is having trouble getting to third string as a victum of numbers as much as his performance. Another try at BB seems like a possibility to get more production from one of our good athletes and gives some needed help to our BB depth.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
From what I understand Perkins shoulder injury prevents him from taking the consistent physical pounding of the position. It was questionable if he would continue to play at all for a while.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thought I would throw in my 2 cents. BTW, I have a personal rule that I don't bend over for anything that is worth less than 25 cents, so that means my opinion isn't worth getting bent out of shape.

Leggett should give B-Back a try. He should also give A-Back a try. If he excels at one position but not the other, he should play where he excels. If he excels at both positions, he should play where it helps the team the most.

Yes, we do lose our starting B-Back for 2015, but we will also lose Days, Hill, Perkins, Zenon, & Bostic at A-Back. Not only starters, but a lot of depth at A-Back. I'm not sure I can say which position will have the most need for 2015.

I sure hope the coaches are pointing out the depth chart to stud running back recruits. The opportunity will be there for an excellent freshman running back to make his mark in 2015, whether it be at B-back or A-back.

Regarding Days, I think he stays put at A-back. He is a starter there and I doubt that he would start over Laskey at B-back.

Regarding B-backs in general, I think it is probably relates more closely to running backs in other systems than some posts in this thread would lead me to believe. I also think that the A-back and B-back positions are more similar than some posts here would lead me to believe. It is still running with the football.

Regarding size, I don't think it matters. I think it is the results that matter.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
And James Wilder, Jr., is 6-3, 230 and fast. And not drafted.

His 4.78 40 at the Combine and subsequent arrest a month before the Draft scared teams away, as it should have. He's obviously got talent but he really hurt himself.

As for our Bback situation, I really hope we get Snoddy some touches this year, especially early on. If he can't get in the rotation this year then I think he should focus on track full-time.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Scroll back. I've said that at 5'9 he is going to have a hard time maintaining speed and agility while putting on the weight needed to take the punishment that a Bback does. I think he's a good a back prospect, and I hope he doesn't waste a year of development to provide depth at a position that he is ultimately not going to play.

Yea I read the post that's why I asked. I just don't think his height is enough to say he's not a good B-back prospect. Especially since you're citing the ability to put on weight. Ignoring the fact that he's probably 17 or 18 and could still grow there's more than how tall you are to putting on good functional weight. It's not that simple.

I mean look at Bostic and Godhigh. According to listed heights and weights listed Bostic is 4 inches taller but Godhigh has got 20 pounds on him. This flies in the face of your logic.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean look at Bostic and Godhigh. to listed heights and weights listed Bostic is 4 inches taller but Godhigh has got 20 pounds on him. This flies in the face of your logic.

Neither play B back. Move on to a new topic please.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Neither play B back. Move on to a new topic please.

Ugh. You missed the point. Again. I knew that was going to happen.

I'm talking about anatomy and physiology here. Not positions on a football field. Like I've said three times now, if your only basis for thinking he can't play B-back is because his height limits him from putting on weight that's ignorant. That's not how the body works.

I'm not saying the kid's going to be a B-back or that he should be one. I have no idea. There's plenty of reasons to argue he shouldn't be one. But yours isn't one. It sounds like the rationale we got about why Al Groh kept Julian Burnett and Jemea Thomas on the bench. I mean I guess PJ Davis should change positions too while we're at it.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Ugh. You missed the point. Again. I knew that was going to happen.

I'm talking about anatomy and physiology here. Not positions on a football field. Like I've said three times now, if your only basis for thinking he can't play B-back is because his height limits him from putting on weight that's ignorant. That's not how the body works.

I'm not saying the kid's going to be a B-back or that he should be one. I have no idea. There's plenty of reasons to argue he shouldn't be one. But yours isn't one. It sounds like the rationale we got about why Al Groh kept Julian Burnett and Jemea Thomas on the bench. I mean I guess PJ Davis should change positions too while we're at it.
One more time....By the time he puts on the necessary weight to take the punishment of the position he will look like a bowling ball, and will have lost his speed and agility. That's not hard to understand. Not sure why that bothers you so much. Move on!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
One more time....By the time he puts on the necessary weight to take the punishment of the position he will look like a bowling ball, and will have lost his speed and agility. That's not hard to understand. Not sure why that bothers you so much. Move on!
I don’t think he needs to put on much weight. 5’9 210lbs is still pretty stocky and he’s just an incoming freshman. I don’t believe BB needs to be this bowling ball everyone believes. As long as you have a quick burst to the line and keep your legs churning then you can get 3 yards every play.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think he needs to put on much weight. 5’9 210lbs is still pretty stocky and he’s just an incoming freshman. I don’t believe BB needs to be this bowling ball everyone believes. As long as you have a quick burst to the line and keep your legs churning then you can get 3 yards every play.
Don't think Bback needs to be a bowling ball either. Was saying that he will be short and round if he puts on weight. Would rather see him be an Aback where he won't have to put on a ton more weight and can keep his speed. He's in the Roddy Jones range. No one would have said that Roddy should be a Bback.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Most seem to disagree with yours regarding a specific height being a requirement for Bback. If you no longer wish to debate I suggest you move along rather than telling others to.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Most seem to disagree with yours regarding a specific height being a requirement for Bback. If you no longer wish to debate I suggest you move along rather than telling others to.
Most as in 3-4 posters? Yeah got it.