CJ Leggett

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
At Bback size matters less than a quick burst and ability to shrug off initial contact. Size helps the latter but has little to do with the former. Some people can't be argued with because they know more about football than Homer Rice, Bobby Dodd, Nick Saban, and John Heisman combined.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean honestly how much of a difference do you expect there to be between the two? The BBack is a running back position. You're gonna argue over a couple of inches?
If you can't tell the difference between our B backs and our A backs, then you should probably bow out of this thread gracefully.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
At Bback size matters less than a quick burst and ability to shrug off initial contact. Size helps the latter but has little to do with the former. Some people can't be argued with because they know more about football than Homer Rice, Bobby Dodd, Nick Saban, and John Heisman combined.
Thanks for the compliment, but I don't know more than those coaches, just you. Thanks though!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I also think Leggett is going to be a BB for us. I understood the coaches thinking AB since they would like to maximize the talent on the field and, with Custis, they probably thought BB was set for a couple of years. Besides, Coach seems to like bigger ABs these days, I would guess due to better blocking.

Still, I always thought Leggett would end up at BB; the position seems to fit him like a glove. The jury's out on just how good a BB he'll be, however. We'll find out next year, I think; I, like others, believe he'll be red-shirted.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
If you can't tell the difference between our B backs and our A backs, then you should probably bow out of this thread gracefully.

Oy vey. Man you are all over the place. Where did I, or anyone else who's disagreeing with you, even mention A- backs? Red herring everywhere.

This isn't even remotely close to the point I'm trying to make. If you can't figure that out perhaps it's you who should bow out. I'm not even sure how you got that impression from what I said.

EDIT: Because you'll probably misinterpret when I say "mention A-backs" I'm referring to the context of claiming the average A-back and B-back size are interchangeable.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I'm fine with using Zach like we used Dwyer and Allen as the primary B-Back with only spot subs. I think Connors and Wilson can give us what Preston gave us.

Still, I suspect that there's pressure to move Perk or Snoddy back to B-Back, and I'm not against either of those options (though I worry about Perk's shoulder and like both he and Snoddy at A-Back).

I'd still like to see Synjyn at B-Back. His ball-control issues seem to have been taken care of, and he runs hard.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I'm fine with using Zach like we used Dwyer and Allen as the primary B-Back with only spot subs. I think Connors and Wilson can give us what Preston gave us.

Still, I suspect that there's pressure to move Perk or Snoddy back to B-Back, and I'm not against either of those options (though I worry about Perk's shoulder and like both he and Snoddy at A-Back).

I'd still like to see Synjyn at B-Back. His ball-control issues seem to have been taken care of, and he runs hard.

Synjyn is the starter at A-Backup, and Snoddy is in the 2deep. I doubt Snoddy moves, and there's no chance Synjyn moves.

I actually liked what Wilson showed in the spring game, and thing he'll make a fine BBack

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Synjyn is the starter at A-Backup, and Snoddy is in the 2deep. I doubt Snoddy moves, and there's no chance Synjyn moves.

I actually liked what Wilson showed in the spring game, and thing he'll make a fine BBack

You may be right that neither Snoddy nor Synjyn moves, but your "there's no chance" rhetoric is not appreciated.

Regardless of the 2deep at A-Back, we have several guys there, including Bostic and Perkins, who have proven they can play. A starting A-Back in 2009 was Ant Allen who became the starting B-Back in 2010. Given that we've moved a starting A-Back to B-Back disproves the entailed logic of "Synjyn is a starter at A-Backup [sic] ... there's no chance Synjyn moves."

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
You still haven't explained why you think he's out of position other than his height. Is that literally all you got?
Scroll back. I've said that at 5'9 he is going to have a hard time maintaining speed and agility while putting on the weight needed to take the punishment that a Bback does. I think he's a good a back prospect, and I hope he doesn't waste a year of development to provide depth at a position that he is ultimately not going to play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not appreciated???? LOL Wow! Dude gave his opinion, and a pretty good one at that. His rationale makes pretty good sense. Not appreciated? By who???

Apparently @John does not consider this a personal attack but considered my reply such. I will amend.

If "by who," you mean "by whom," I meant by me. I wrongly assumed this would be obvious. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify.

As for the point being made to which I responded, I gave an example of a starting A-Back being moved to B-Back thereby disproving the "there's no chance" which you considered a good point. I also mentioned two players not on the 2 deep who have played more meaningful snaps at A-Back than any current backup at B-Back. Rather than typing LOL, perhaps you could give your reasons for supporting the claim of "there's no chance."

By the way, I don't mind when someone offers an opinion different from mine, but when their opinion is that there is "no chance" that my opinion is right or that my hope will be met, then I expect them to discuss it rationally and with data. Otherwise, it seems like a personal attack, calling me an idiot in a way that @John finds acceptable.

Last edited:

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Apparently @John does not consider this a personal attack but considered my reply such. I will amend.

If "by who," you mean "by whom," I meant by me. I wrongly assumed this would be obvious. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify.

As for the point being made to which I responded, I gave an example of a starting A-Back being moved to B-Back thereby disproving the "there's no chance" which you considered a good point. I also mentioned two players not on the 2 deep who have played more meaningful snaps at A-Back than any current backup at B-Back. Rather than typing LOL, perhaps you could give your reasons for supporting the claim of "there's no chance."

By the way, I don't mind when someone offers an opinion different from mine, but when their opinion is that there is "no chance" that my opinion is right or that my hope will be met, then I expect them to discuss it rationally and with data. Otherwise, it seems like a personal attack, calling me an idiot in a way that @John finds acceptable.

I genuinely meant no offense, and sincerely apologize if any was taken.

I don't think the Anthony Allen situation is apples to apples. Anthony Allen was only at A back because there was a guy ahead of him at his natural position. When that guy (Dwyer) graduated, Allen was moved to B-Back. He was playing A back just to get him on the field. The guy ahead of Days is Laskey, who was ahead of him last year, and the year before as well. He has not graduated, so there is no opening there for Days.

I cannot get myself to believe that Johnson would feel that Days would be better utilized as a backup B-Back than a starting A-back. So, I'll retract my "no chance" and say "i cannot imagine".

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I genuinely meant no offense, and sincerely apologize if any was taken.

I don't think the Anthony Allen situation is apples to apples. Anthony Allen was only at A back because there was a guy ahead of him at his natural position. When that guy (Dwyer) graduated, Allen was moved to B-Back. He was playing A back just to get him on the field. The guy ahead of Days is Laskey, who was ahead of him last year, and the year before as well. He has not graduated, so there is no opening there for Days.

I cannot get myself to believe that Johnson would feel that Days would be better utilized as a backup B-Back than a starting A-back. So, I'll retract my "no chance" and say "i cannot imagine".

No worries. Since Allen, we've been platooning B-Backs. That prompted me to think about who might fill tbat role. My first two points in the post to which you responded were intended to acknowledge what you are saying.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@AE 87, I removed your reply, and I also removed @nodawgs subsequent reply. In those two posts it should be clear why they were removed. If not, let me know.

I don't like the tone of many posts in this thread, to be honest, but I'm leaving them because a) I don't view them as direct personal attacks, and b) we prefer the board to self-police as opposed to making the mods doing it.

We're in the offseason and we're reaching the point where we're splitting hairs on topics and folks are getting chippy. My request is that everyone respect the rules and articulate their points with the tact that I've seen in other posts from @AE 87, @nodawgs, and other folks who know they're pushing the limits on being too aggressive. Let's keep pot-stirring/trolling, arguing the merits of posters, and denigrating someone's language style off this board so that @John, @Eric, @PowderSpringsJacket88 , and I can keep our involvement to a minimum.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Would love an artificially intelligent personal attack detector (AIPAD for short). I'm certain it would do a much better job of keeping the board clean than the four of us have been doing. :blackeye:

There must be a CS major specializing in AI that can help with this. :cool:

Edit: We may need to come up with a different name/acronym, we may get Apple's attention with AIPAD.