Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts not that it matters
1) Our OL played very well
2) My biggest surprise was how well Taquon Marshall run our offense ( would not have been my pick but like most of us said CPJ will pick the right one )
3) I see no drop off at B-back Benson and Weimerskirch did a fine job.
4) We have a punter ( which I hope we don't need much)
5) MBS is nice food was cheap but I would still rather play a our place
6) I thought our fans did a good job being loud ( but trying to get them all to wear one color ain't going to happen )
7) Defense played fine the first half ( but when your offense keeps ball as much as ours did your defense should look good )
8) We still can't not Blitz or get pressure on the QB ( Not should why our LB's have to run up to the LOS before the snap to get a blitz away )
9) kicking ( best not to say anything just need to hope we don't need a FG at the end of the game) pretty sure CPJ will go for it on 4th down and not try many FG's
10) this loss hurt to be up by 14 in the 4th you should not lose.
last it was the first game I still think we will have a good season . Kicking will be a problem , defense did show signs that they could play better. And I have no problem going for 2 at the end of the game.
Agree with your point #7 100%. Same old Roof. Play not to givr up the big play vs taking a gamble.........bring back Tenuta ;)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep. On another site I shared that I felt almost sick to my stomach when the game was over, something I have not felt after a Tech loss in many years.

It's interesting to see everyone's different reactions to this one. I am almost always 100% dejected after a GT loss. I admit I get too wrapped up in the outcome. I usually have to be intentional about staying off the internet and going outside to play with my kids.

But this time is completely different. I was able to smile and laugh almost immediately afterwards. Maybe it's because I always think we'll go undefeated (but know in my heart we won't, so at least that pressure is off immediately?).

It's GT football! We're gonna crap the bed when the win is in our hand(last night). We're gonna pull a massive upset (hope it's Clemson!), we're gonna lose one we really shouldn't (besides this one), but with what I saw last night, we'll have a chance against UGAg and I think we can win a nice bowl.

Life is good.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting to see everyone's different reactions to this one. I am almost always 100% dejected after a GT loss. I admit I get too wrapped up in the outcome. I usually have to be intentional about staying off the internet and going outside to play with my kids.

But this time is completely different. I was able to smile and laugh almost immediately afterwards. Maybe it's because I always think we'll go undefeated (but know in my heart we won't, so at least that pressure is off immediately?).

It's GT football! We're gonna crap the bed when the win is in our hand(last night). We're gonna pull a massive upset (hope it's Clemson!), we're gonna lose one we really shouldn't (besides this one), but with what I saw last night, we'll have a chance against UGAg and I think we can win a nice bowl.

Life is good.
That nice to hear and very adult of you. That helps.
Don't know why this game hit me so hard. But you are right, we will get over it and this team has lots of promise.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
Kid is a walk-on. Let it go.

/
I walked on for a baseball the night schools baseball team several years ago, and became the Friday night starter...... The kid flat out blew it. Not that it is all on him, but when you have an opportunity to win the game with what should be a chip shot you have to get it done. Special teams have always been a nightmare under the Johnson administration, and last night they cost us. For the life of me I will never understand how they are unable to get a kid who can put the ball through the back of the endzone on kickoffs, and punt the ball 40 yards(not that that mattered last night).

The defense looked great for 3 quarters of the game, but seemed gassed in the 4th. That can not happen when you are only on the field for 1/3 of the game. Seems like the more CPJ, and the offense control the clock the worst the defense is, and that has been the case for several years now. Every defensive player needs to be on a bike while we are on offense, instead of chatting about which coed they are going to take home.

The offense looked great. I'm not sure that Marshall's 44 carries can be continued, but he looked damn good for his start, and seemed to have a good grasp of the offense. Benson looked like Dwyer, you could see hints of speed when he would get through the line, and the best thing that I saw out of him is that he always fell FORWARD. Seemed like every time he touched the ball he gained 3 yards at minimum. Offense will not be a problem this year, we still get Lynch back at some point, and the line looked good.

Overall we will not see a better defenseive line until we play clemson. 8-4 should be the expectaion at this point, from what I saw last night, but i think 9-3 is a real possibility.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Guys, I had a nightmare last night that we dominated the Vols but still lost...Oh wait, that **** was real??????

The turnovers were awful (especially Green's) but the biggest play IMO was the Illegal Block called on Cooper. At the time of the penalty, we had the ball inside the UT 30 and were already deep in to the 3rd quarter. If we score there, it's 28-7 and I don't think UT would've even got the ball 3 more times in the game.

Jmonty71

Banned
After sleep and after game thoughts.

1. Surprisingly, our offense can run and really well after JT.
2, We made some stupid choices, like running 3 yards deep out of the end zone.
3. Ball handling was sloppy from some A backs.
4. The O line looked good
5. We are good enough to win 6-8 games.
6. CTR still is clueless, when the game goes on.
7. We made more errors on the D side than we did on the O side.
8. We need a DC that can actually coach. Let CTR just recruit.
9. Our D line was shooting through gaps in the first half. 2nd half, they line up straight and rushed. Why???
10. We fail to cover everyone on trip formations. We tend to only put 2 DBs over. On top of that, the DBs are 10 yards off. Which leads up vulnerable to screen plays.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yawwwn... Last night. The Game. Did that really happen? Was it just a bad dream? [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last night was just another bad experience-blown game and i'm forcing myself to think about the Jacksonville State game Saturday!;) I watched JSU pound Chattanooga and they're a very fast team. GT had better not have a hangover with these guys because they're capable of slugging it out with just about anyone.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Defense is still an issue. Moving on to the 5th DC isn't as such a simple solution as some people make it out to be. Those guys I mentioned are basically the cream of the crop in terms of DC names. We witnessed Shoop first hand tonight and he makes like $2 million a year. Were you so delusional that you thought we would be a top 15 defense this year? I was personally looking for improvement from last year, which I saw, but I knew we would still be an offensive-led team as long as CPJ is the coach.

Did I saw a word about replacing a D.C? One word?

I was actually implying that maybe we should Not have replaced someone.

Am I "delusional" about having a top 15 D this year? Never, ever mentioned or implied any such thing. But since you did - why not? How many here expect us to br top 5 or 10 in certain O categories? How many talk about being Coastal champs despite our overall record vs um & vt the last 9 years? And the season is young and we may win the Coastal.

But your "this year" comment on the D? It has been going on for YEARS. And they only played 19 minutes, AND ZERO turnovers AND gave up over40 points. Just what is it YOU are so delusional about?

I guess many think we should beat decent teams, win conference championships and be in big bowls with nothing but offense.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Painful loss, but it's not as gut wrenching like the 1997 ugag loss. Also, I said if we lost with the 2pt conversion attempt, at least I was fine with the decision. And all the worries of not having JT and Mills were gone by the end of the game. It's only the first game, we have good offense that should help us win games. and hoping it'll be like a 98 season where we lost the opener but the steam rolled through the rest of the season. The kicker issue however...

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Painful loss, but it's not as gut wrenching like the 1997 ugag loss. Also, I said if we lost with the 2pt conversion attempt, at least I was fine with the decision. And all the worries of not having JT and Mills were gone by the end of the game. It's only the first game, we have good offense that should help us win games. and hoping it'll be like a 98 season where we lost the opener but the steam rolled through the rest of the season. The kicker issue however...
Yeah, that's my thinking as well. Hopefully this serves as a wake up call to the team about ball security. My fear is we go 11-1 and are kept out of the playoffs for some bull**** reason. I sincerely hope if it comes to that, the the CFB Committee (with DRad and Beamer) actually use their brains to look back at this loss holistically and not just the final score. Just gotta flush this one and move on to the next.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
All you guys saying that this game was an embarrassment and a sign of a "long season".....
I don't have the words to describe how much I disagree with that assessment...

This game made me believe it could be a GREAT season..

New QB worries: NO
New BB worries: NO
Defense worries: NO
Coaching worries: NO
Our defense played very well tonight until they finally ran out of gas, like EVERY defense (other than Alabama) does in these physical early season games... we DESTROYED that 4-5 star defense of Tn tonight... DESTROYED them.
New Kicker worries: YES

Very proud of my team tonight...very proud.

Disagree about the D. Tn hurt themselves early in the game with errant passes and dropped passes. We made some plays but lost every contested completion. Poor tackling late in the game and forced no turnovers. NO PASS RUSH. Our D is still our big liability assuming the other kicker and some improvement is made with STs. Even CPJ lost confidence in the D in OT and had to go for two because the D had totally collapsed late in the game, and he says not from being tired. Your other points are spot on.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Food for thought:

2014 was our best season under CPJ. We almost lost to Wofford and Georgia Southern early in that season. We got better as the season went on. I think our team is actually starting out a higher level than it did in 2014. Could be a very interesting year.....
I agree this team will be fun to watch. I'm happy a quality replacement was found for Mills in Benson and GT found their next great option quarterback in Marshall who I think is like Josh Nesbitt but faster.