Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. Maybe worth noting that their worst field position was from the fumble recovery on the seven which to me is in a different class than us pinning them back with good special teams play.

Yup, that one recovery factors into the stat, making it totally irrelevant when considering the holes our kicking team consistently put our defense in.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Braun's "whiff" was setup by the QB going the wrong way. He's supposed to bring the pursuit into the block.

Exactly. He had the defenders outside. Would have given them poor angles to get a tackle and the chance to stretch the ball out. Brad was washing his guy towards the the inside. It was a pitch all the way.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just got back home- So We ok late in ATL after a great game by 2 above average teams.
IMO Its not how good u are at start of season, its how fast u get better.

At the game we sat in end zone and saw multiple angled replays of each play.

As for the defense they played much closer to line and in first half were flying to the play. I looked up at score board as half approached and the board showed drive summary = The orange team said Punt, punt, punt punt.

In second half we did seem to take steps in the wrong direction before reacting.

Give #1 on Tennessee credit - he is a baller.

I hope we keep this aggressive d going and don't go back to free pass for 5 yards or less. In fact in next 2 games we need some even tighter to line of alignments s w safety and corner closer to line faking and sometimes blitzes . If in first 3 games we get better at being aggressive on d , we will have a much better chance of being a very very good team by end of year. I am sticking w the D!

On the fumble by jj which happened right in front of us - parker braun was all the way down field trying to recover the ball in the pile.

Our ol was totally awesome and in midseason form . Great player prep, coaching, and game effort and play calling. At the start with Will at tackle and SD at guard, tbe UT guys put some one near SD and that was a disaster . . After that SD got a taste for blood, he was sold out on each play. Wow! Will and Braun looked like they are - great.

31 reminds me of 13 Andrews in 2014. (blocking and running.).

Hope we add a different ab long pass besides the go long for the right ab. Can't count on perfect pass and catch.

Football viewing in BDS is much better than MBS.

See u Saturday.
Great observation about the OL coaching. Don't hear anybody bitching about Sewak now do you?

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is our defense gassed when it is on the field less than 19 minutes =(

I don't know "why" they were gassed brother... but based on what I saw, by the middle of the 3rd qtr, they certainly were.

If you asked me to speculate, I would say that it was a combination of playing with great intensity against very talented athletes, playing at full game speed in the first game, and a lack of depth available that the coaches believed were ready to be put in the rotation.

One thing I know for sure.... Our defense got gassed a heck of a lot later in the contest than did UT's....

UT likely has more (not necessarily better) players available to put in the defensive rotation, and they didn't last past 3 possessions....

We played UT to a draw.... then we got beat on the last play, just like we did to FSU a few years ago....just like Clemson did to Alabama last year.

High level athletics involve the opportunity for thrilling, emotional victories, and the opportunity for heart wrenching defeat... our athletes have the talent, commitment, and blessing of being in the arena, putting it all on the line for themselves, their families, each other, and even for US...

I'm proud that we have dedicated athletes representing us that strut out on the field and have a reasonable chance to beat ANYBODY we play.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Great observation about the OL coaching. Don't hear anybody bitching about Sewak now do you?

Are you implying that the criticism was unwarranted? (It was) The line looks well coached, motivated, and completely focused on their assignments. Coach Johnson is all about execution, well if that is what you want they pretty much delivered almost all night. Reminds me of what John McKay once said about his abysmal Tampa Bay football team when asked by a reporter from the Tampa Tribune about his team's execution: Quote the coach: "I am for it"

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I don't know "why" they were gassed brother... but based on what I saw, by the middle of the 3rd qtr, they certainly were.

At the risk of beating this to death, I'll repeat what I read elsewhere. If our D was gassed last night, then they're either out of shape, or the wrong players. I don't think the excuse is that they were "gassed."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Are you implying that the criticism was unwarranted? (It was) The line looks well coached, motivated, and completely focused on their assignments. Coach Johnson is all about execution, well if that is what you want they pretty much delivered almost all night. Reminds me of what John McKay once said about his abysmal Tampa Bay football team when asked by a reporter from the Tampa Tribune about his team's execution: Quote the coach: "I am for it"
Criticism is one thing, calling for heads is quite another. Some guys want to place poor performance completely and only on the coaches. That's such bs, there are so many variables that affect performance, coaching is just one. Why can't the players be accountable? Why can't the opposition get credit? Why aren't injuries taken into account? Why isn't the loss of critical parts of the team that are no longer present factored? I'm just glad CPJ wasn't as foolish as many of the posters on here wanted him to be.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No. Because paul hired another ol coach. Just like sewak wasnt bad when spencer was here either. Come on cheese. Step it up

Sewak sucked donkey balls when he doesnt have another coach hold his hands.
Lets see how the new coach does with the entire OL. So are you still in favor of **** canning Sewak?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Lets see how the new coach does with the entire OL. So are you still in favor of **** canning Sewak?

If we let sewak go, there are upgrades out there, if we can get one yes i would be in favor of upgrading our staff for sure. But only in the sense that we have clear line of site to the replacement.

I am not saying fire him today due to his poor performance a few years ago (even paul was openly critical then). That was the time to fire him. But I am saying I am all for firing him today if Paul has an upgrade in mind. Its not like sewak is a recruiting machine. He has brought in a good kid here or there, but even then we can be better imo....

Lets face it. Our AB and BB and QBs in general have been coached pretty well. I would say WR too...kids have really grown, improved, been coached up bigtime

OL has been hit or miss on this. We have seen some guys never improve and underperform.

I won't get into D.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Rlly impressed with what I saw think we can have a real good year...that being said heres my complaints. JJ Green fumble lost us the game. Hold onto ball there burn an extra couple minutes off clock score and ice the game. Than since that happened D needs to get clutch someone needs to make a play get a stop and we win. Since that didnt happen onto the fg. New that guy had no chance to make it. Rlly pisses me off, hes a walk on i know he works hard, but after first fg attempt it was obvious he wasnt rdy forvthe moment. IMO you have to let the kicker kick that you thought was good enough to give a scholarship too. Hes your guy ride with him. Dont no if he would of made it but i bet it wouldnt of been a duck hook into the linemans backs. Lastly, once in OT the 2 point conversion if TQM pitched than Benson walks in for the win. Its frustrating bc we were wayy better team. For us to lose alot of things had to happen and every single one of them happened....still rlly encouraged and optimistic about rest of season.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If we let sewak go, there are upgrades out there, if we can get one yes i would be in favor of upgrading our staff for sure. But only in the sense that we have clear line of site to the replacement.

I am not saying fire him today due to his poor performance a few years ago (even paul was openly critical then). That was the time to fire him. But I am saying I am all for firing him today if Paul has an upgrade in mind. Its not like sewak is a recruiting machine. He has brought in a good kid here or there, but even then we can be better imo....

Lets face it. Our AB and BB and QBs in general have been coached pretty well. I would say WR too...kids have really grown, improved, been coached up bigtime

OL has been hit or miss on this. We have seen some guys never improve and underperform.

I won't get into D.
The Offensive Line played great on Monday night.