Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This probably has been asked/discussed before, but we often times hear how other D's struggle against us because their scout teams cannot replicate "game speed". Is the reverse of that true? Our scout team, recruited for Paul's O, cannot give our D good practice reps? How could one be true but not the other? Comments?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Man, I thought I had let this game go, but it just stings me multiple times a day. No matter how the season turns out, we're going to look back and say how much this game hurt us. We win 7 and we say, "man...we win that TN game and we're in the ____ bowl instead." We win 9 and we say, "man...if only we'd beat TN that would be another 10-win season." We win the conference and go 10-2 and we say, "man...we win that TN game and we're in the playoff."

That just sucks all around, for sure.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This pretty much sums it up. I was thinking the other night that I can't recall the last time our D got a stop when it had to have one to win. 2014 Georgia in OT I guess. Before that?

The defense definitely looked better in the first half, but the second was the same crap we've seen since 2009. The 2008 defense was the last one we had that gave me any confidence at all. 2014 was nice, but it was all turnovers...a lot of bounces went our way while teams were still piling up yards and points.

What gets me is that just like our O is better than stats indicate at times, our D is worse than stats indicate. When you dominate time of possession teams should have less yards and points. How in the hell do you give up 369 yards and 42 points to a team that has the ball for 18 minutes? Especially after forcing 6 punts...

Again, the first half was promising, but this was not a good look at all. Second hanf was missed tackles, bad angles, and just an overall look of helplessness. It has to improve or it won't matter how good the offense looks.
The first half was promising because Tennessee kept shooting themselves in the foot. It had little to do with what we were doing on defense.

PantherWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
No matter how the season turns out, we're going to look back and say how much this game hurt us.

Not sound like an ***, but this sounds like a miserable way to go through life. Overcoming the issues exposed in this game may push this teams to heights they never would have achieved otherwise.

This team has every opportunity to prove this was a game they gave away. Step one, bring it on Saturday. My voice will be recovered and my rear end will be at BDS. I won’t be thinking about last week.

Milwaukee

Banned
Not sound like an ***, but this sounds like a miserable way to go through life. Overcoming the issues exposed in this game may push this teams to heights they never would have achieved otherwise.

This team has every opportunity to prove this was a game they gave away. Step one, bring it on Saturday. My voice will be recovered and my rear end will be at BDS. I won’t be thinking about last week.

Not to sound like an *** either, but I'll be thinking about the TN collapse the entire year while still enjoying the rest of the season. Not miserable.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if it was said but the similarities between this game and last years Super Bowl loss are unbelievable ... we dominate for three quarters then lose in OT.
I'm starting to come back to my senses and thinking rationally ... if TM and the OL continue to play at that level we will have a good year, even with average D.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
What about it? I imagine there was a 100 or more different scenarios in that game that might have been borderline or just missed calls. That takes place in every single FB game that has ever been played. Will take place again when we play Jax State Saturday or Uga in November.

I notice that there is strong correlation in the number of posts questioning the refereeing and the outcome of the game. Did the refs make some mistakes Monday? Of course.Did we lose this game because of the refs OR because of things that were in our control?

That was no borderline hit, it was a blatant out of bounds hit that almost killed our qb

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if it was said but the similarities between this game and last years Super Bowl loss are unbelievable ... we dominate for three quarters then lose in OT.
I'm starting to come back to my senses and thinking rationally ... if TM and the OL continue to play at that level we will have a good year, even with average D.

In 2014, we had struggles early but a team that refused to lose. When we got beat, we got beat.

This team doesn't seem to have that hate2lose in them (yet).

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The thing that got me about the game was listening to the Vol Network broadcast of the game which I had to because of all the Tennessee fans who were here to watch the game. The Vol Network color guy Tim Priest was really cutting down the Tennessee defense and offensive line saying the ridiculous comment "Georgia Tech doesn't have near the talent of Tennessee but the Tennessee defense has no clue about how to stop them" he also said "Tennessee has a big size advantage on offensive and defensive lines however GT pushed them around all game". Tim Priest lost it during the game and I thought he had thrown something in the booth.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Yeah I told my wife that after the game. It was pretty much the same feeling. Also the same feeling as the 2013 Ugag game and the 2012 Miami game. Too many of these in recent memory...gotta stop that crap from happening.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As 33 pointed out earlier, the OL has typically done well when Sewak has not been solo on the job. We have 2 OL coaches again this year. The OL's stellar performance may not be attributable primarily to Sewak.

Anyways, I wanted to comment on the TV broadcast. Can we have Reese (Rece, Rese, Rees) Davis for all our games, please? Dude is always a good listen. Engaged and knowledgeable. That's all I ever ask for in a broadcaster. He forced Herbstreit to raise his level as well.

Now if we can stop Kirk from forcing his kids down everybody throat then we'll be in business. And can we stop hearing about the racehorse he owns? #SuperRelatableKirk

Having a bunch of studs on the unit goes a long way toward making a coach look great.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Having a smaller OL is not a problem for us. We are not trying to do the same thing as other OLs, and we clearly have enough mass and strength to accomplish what we want. No benefit in sacrificing agility and stamina for the sake of size. Of course, the bigger athlete with the same athleticism is still better.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
This pretty much sums it up. I was thinking the other night that I can't recall the last time our D got a stop when it had to have one to win. 2014 Georgia in OT I guess. Before that?

The defense definitely looked better in the first half, but the second was the same crap we've seen since 2009. The 2008 defense was the last one we had that gave me any confidence at all. 2014 was nice, but it was all turnovers...a lot of bounces went our way while teams were still piling up yards and points.

What gets me is that just like our O is better than stats indicate at times, our D is worse than stats indicate. When you dominate time of possession teams should have less yards and points. How in the hell do you give up 369 yards and 42 points to a team that has the ball for 18 minutes? Especially after forcing 6 punts...

Again, the first half was promising, but this was not a good look at all. Second hanf was missed tackles, bad angles, and just an overall look of helplessness. It has to improve or it won't matter how good the offense looks.

Have you forgotten the Austin interception in Athens last year already? Had to get a stop, and they did. Could almost say the same thing about the Austin pick six late against UVA last year.