Chaney

SupportPO

Georgia Tech Fan
It’s really not, Chaney hire is very minuscule to the landscape of the program. He’s pretty much what Tevin Washington was for Paul.
How much credit did Muschamp get for UGA’s historic defense last year? He was in the same role at UGA as Chaney is for us.

Muschamp coached ST last year, not an analyst. He helped coach the DB at times as well.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Is this something you read? something you heard from inside the GTAA? Something you've just thought of? In other words, is there a basis for this comment or is it just speculation?

Not attacking you, just want to gain a better understanding of whether someone knows something or if it's just speculation.
Nothing but personal speculation. Coaches on the hot seat don't generally bring in assistants that could eventually replace him.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Nothing but personal speculation. Coaches on the hot seat don't generally bring in assistants that could eventually replace him.
And coaches who are buddy-buddy with the players don't bring in hard-arses to coach their offenses, either.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Back in my poor man days a new sears new tire was 29$ but a retread was $9.95. It worked fine around ATL so I bought 3 more. .
Think of it this way. We are the home for retreads and we are buying a whole set. Just don't expect to go over 60mph
We called them Maypop brand. Best a poor boy can afford sometimes.
animation saving GIF by MOOT

JacketFan137

Banned
Goff was the 5th rated QB in the league after Weinke left and raised his QB rating nearly 40 points.
i am no weinke stan (blind supporter if if y you don’t know that term lol) but mcvay’s offense has much more to do with that than anything weinke did. jeff fisher was one of the worst offensive coaches in the league and mcvay came and basically redid everything. nfl qbs also see a big jump between year 1 and year 2. to put any of that on weinke one way or the other is kinda dishonest and unfair

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
i am no weinke stan (blind supporter if if y you don’t know that term lol) but mcvay’s offense has much more to do with that than anything weinke did. jeff fisher was one of the worst offensive coaches in the league and mcvay came and basically redid everything. nfl qbs also see a big jump between year 1 and year 2. to put any of that on weinke one way or the other is kinda dishonest and unfair
I actually don't disagree with all of this but the Rams went from dead last in the NFL in passing in 2015 and 2016 under Weinke to top 10 in passing in 2017 without him. Tennessee went from 75th, and 85th in the country under Weinke to 39th without him in 2021. The worst season of Nick Foles career was with the Rams under Weinke. The worst season of Case Keenum's career was with the Rams under Weinke. The worst season of Jared Goff's career was with the Rams under Weinke. That's an awful lot of bad luck coming his way if he is a good QBs coach.

JacketFan137

Banned
I actually don't disagree with all of this but the Rams went from dead last in the NFL in passing in 2015 and 2016 under Weinke to top 10 in passing in 2017 without him. Tennessee went from 75th, and 85th in the country under Weinke to 39th without him in 2021. The worst season of Nick Foles career was with the Rams under Weinke. The worst season of Case Keenum's career was with the Rams under Weinke. The worst season of Jared Goff's career was with the Rams under Weinke. That's an awful lot of bad luck coming his way if he is a good QBs coach.
this is an awful stretch of the truth to disparage the weinke hire and you’ve clearly cherry picked things to make your point. who would have guessed that jared goff’s worst career season was under jeff fisher WHILE HE WAS A ROOKIE…it’s almost like nfl qbs take time to develop 🤔also the fact you are still ignoring the mcvay hire tells me you probably don’t know much about the nfl and how bad jeff fisher is vs how good mcvay is.

next, you use case keenum, a perennial journeyman who entered the rams as a mediocre backup with a 2-8 career record and absolutely atrocious stats. case keenum has had 1 respectable season his whole career and has spent the rest of his career as a backup. he actually did improve in a lot of stats from 2014 to 2015 under weinke but he was so bad before and after weinke i really don’t think that matters.

and AGAIN you choose to ignore a massive head coaching change when they fired jeremy pruitt, a defensive coach, and hired josh heupel. heupel being a successful OC/head coach that ran a great offense at UCF. that has much more to do with their performance than weinke

at this point the jury is still out on weinke. he may be good he may be mediocre he may be bad, but the points you are using to argue this are all easily contextualized with a simple google search. no need to try to pile on more negativity just cause you hate collins lol

Boren5034

Georgia Tech Fan
yes I was The school no longer there.
Good to see some fellow Columbus natives in the mix. My brothers were class of 80/81 at Jordan and my cousin Ricky had been Police Chief for the last 20 years before retiring last year. Love me some Smokey Pig BBQ.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For those crapping on the Chaney hire, remember he was one of the hottest names in college football years ago. He's widely credited with helping develop Drew Brees at Purdue. There's a reason why he got big jobs in the past. His downfall was his time in the NFL which was a bit more conservative, as opposed to the spread passing attack he favored early in his career.

I think an analyst role for Chaney is a really good one for us. He can help with game planning on how to attack defenses while Long can develop our offensive personnel on the field. Chaney can also help with QB development where needed. Remember, Chaney is the one credited for developing Jake Fromm at UGA. Tyler Bray passed for almost 4,000 yards and 30+ TDs under him at UT.

These are the "little" hires that big programs like 'Bama and UGA makes consistently that help put them over the top. These are the kinds of hires that will help us get back to consistent bowl games.

My only question is why didn't TStan or CGC make this kind of push with guys like Long and Chaney to start with? We may not have all the horses on offense to make Chip Long's offensive really hum, but I think we're going to start seeing a more cohesive and better offense than we've had the past 3 years.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For those crapping on the Chaney hire, remember he was one of the hottest names in college football years ago. He's widely credited with helping develop Drew Brees at Purdue. There's a reason why he got big jobs in the past. His downfall was his time in the NFL which was a bit more conservative, as opposed to the spread passing attack he favored early in his career.

I think an analyst role for Chaney is a really good one for us. He can help with game planning on how to attack defenses while Long can develop our offensive personnel on the field. Chaney can also help with QB development where needed. Remember, Chaney is the one credited for developing Jake Fromm at UGA. Tyler Bray passed for almost 4,000 yards and 30+ TDs under him at UT.

These are the "little" hires that big programs like 'Bama and UGA makes consistently that help put them over the top. These are the kinds of hires that will help us get back to consistent bowl games.

My only question is why didn't TStan or CGC make this kind of push with guys like Long and Chaney to start with? We may not have all the horses on offense to make Chip Long's offensive really hum, but I think we're going to start seeing a more cohesive and better offense than we've had the past 3 years.
Sounds like he would have made a great QB coach.

If our OL proves to be as weak as it portends and these new offensive coaches can find a way to make it work anyway, they'll be geniuses in my book.

JacketFan137

Banned

patenaude to me obviously didn’t have a clue from the beginning. season 1 he got the benefit of the doubt because we didn’t have a qb on the roster and everything was understandably bad. year 2 he showed little to no improvement but i feel like covid and a freshman qb bought him some time. i think he was just fortunate to have some very easy excuses and had a very loyal head coach in collins. by the end of year three it became clear even to collins he was over his head from the beginning

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
patenaude to me obviously didn’t have a clue from the beginning. season 1 he got the benefit of the doubt because we didn’t have a qb on the roster and everything was understandably bad. year 2 he showed little to no improvement but i feel like covid and a freshman qb bought him some time. i think he was just fortunate to have some very easy excuses and had a very loyal head coach in collins. by the end of year three it became clear even to collins he was over his head from the beginning
And, even if we have lost patience with CGC, it is reassuring that he wanted to make sure as to not make a premature judgment about Patenaude. A hopeful way to see this season would be to say that several external factors, like Covid, necessarily delayed making staff changes and everything will be clarified this year.

So here’s to hope.