Chaney

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Weinke and Chaney were there in 2019 as well. It wasn't much better (76th OFEI, 100th total offense, 97th scoring offense). Im not expecting much, if anything from Weinke or Chaney honestly. Long is a different story. He has the potential to take the offense to a much higher level. We will see.
My expectation for Weinke is that he's a significant upgrade as a QB coach over Patenaude. Does that translate into significantly better QB play? That is a question I can't answer because, while I believe Jeff Sims is a better QB than we've seen, I can't know how much of that is his teacher and how much is him. Obviously I believe a lot was his teacher, Patenaude, being so terrible. But Jeff has to own his performance, which I think he does, and work even harder with Weinke to fix it and grow.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My expectation for Weinke is that he's a significant upgrade as a QB coach over Patenaude. Does that translate into significantly better QB play? That is a question I can't answer because, while I believe Jeff Sims is a better QB than we've seen, I can't know how much of that is his teacher and how much is him. Obviously I believe a lot was his teacher, Patenaude, being so terrible. But Jeff has to own his performance, which I think he does, and work even harder with Weinke to fix it and grow.
I may be too hard on Weinke, im just going from his results. He was a QBs coach in the NFL and his QBs finished near the bottom of the league in QB rating each year. He then went to Tennessee and his main project there (Jarrett Guarantano) regressed under his tutelage. The data on him isn't great but you are right though. It's a tough position to judge. It may just be that he hasn't been in a great position to succeed.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
i don’t think anyone is calling chaney a great hire as much as people are just intrigued by the fact we actually have an analyst. that has become the norm for the rest of college football and we have been behind. chaney has had success and been at a lot of different places. an analyst role is not the OC or the head coach but having someone whos been at the nfl and elite college level helping out is pretty nice. it also shows that tech football is still being taken seriously and our decision makers at the top aren’t just punting the season and the collins era like so many of our negative fans are
Good post 137. I'm not convinced yet though, that those at the top are fully on board. Top is above TS. All you have to do, is ask yourself where the President of uga would be today with three consecutive 3 win seasons, other than spending time on Indeed. Doesn't mean it's right, but in this case, if it ain't at the top, then it ain't gonna be fixed.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I may be too hard on Weinke, im just going from his results. He was a QBs coach in the NFL and his QBs finished near the bottom of the league in QB rating each year. He then went to Tennessee and his main project there (Jarrett Guarantano) regressed under his tutelage. The data on him isn't great but you are right though. It's a tough position to judge. It may just be that he hasn't been in a great position to succeed.

I don’t know how he’ll fare on Sims, but I don’t judge him much off of Guarantano. I don’t think many could have helped that guy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here is my main reason for feeling that. Most explanations for why Chip Long left Notre Dame are related to his relationships with players and other coaches. No one ever really questioned his play calling ability from what I can find. Chaney has just been mediocre in general. He had poor results at Tennessee and got fired. Went to the Saints for a year as an analyst, got fired again. Even while at UGA, many weren't happy with his predictable style of play calling. It put up numbers for sure because of overwhelming talent but he wasn't some beloved figure there that they were sad to lose. If you think Chaney is a great offensive mind, then why has he gone from SEC OC to analyst at GT?
Back in my poor man days a new sears new tire was 29$ but a retread was $9.95. It worked fine around ATL so I bought 3 more. .
Think of it this way. We are the home for retreads and we are buying a whole set. Just don't expect to go over 60mph

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Back in my poor man days a new sears new tire was 29$ but a retread was $9.95. It worked fine around ATL so I bought 3 more. .
Think of it this way. We are the home for retreads and we are buying a whole set. Just don't expect to go over 60mph

This is probably the most apropos post I have ever read about the state of GT football....

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the clarification there! It has been hard to be excited about this offseason but I will give CGC credit where credit is due. He has made some fairly good splash hires these past several months. I don't think many of us were expecting to get the type of coaches that we have managed to hire.

Let's all hope things improve this fall!
Don't really think that CGC had anything to do these new hires. Someone , Tstan? made these hires for him with the expectation that if the wins don't improve this season , you are gone!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I didn't think you were too hard on him. I think it's fair to wonder. In fact my feeling is based more on how bad I think Patenaude was as a QB coach than anything about Weinke :ROFLMAO:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I didn't think you were too hard on him. I think it's fair to wonder. In fact my feeling is based more on how bad I think Patenaude was as a QB coach than anything about Weinke :ROFLMAO:
The big thing is can he get the game to sloooow down for Sims. Hard to tell in a practice game when the QB knows he won't be hit. All I do know is coach P didn't get the game to slow down for sims after 2 years.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The big thing is can he get the game to sloooow down for Sims. Hard to tell in a practice game when the QB knows he won't be hit. All I do know is coach P didn't get the game to slow down for sims after 2 years.
Yup. I agree wholeheartedly. Get the game to slow down, understand what is going on, make better decisions, see the interceptions go down and the production go up.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Who are the QB’s he coached in the NFL?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don't really think that CGC had anything to do these new hires. Someone , Tstan? made these hires for him with the expectation that if the wins don't improve this season , you are gone!
Is this something you read? something you heard from inside the GTAA? Something you've just thought of? In other words, is there a basis for this comment or is it just speculation?

Not attacking you, just want to gain a better understanding of whether someone knows something or if it's just speculation.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Who are the QB’s he coached in the NFL?
I would imagine Brady's and Manning's "coach", is listed as a HOF QB coach. I agree though, he was underwhelming at uga with top flight material to work with. As for Long, I wouldn't think he would bring on somebody who couldn't help him. Long probably has HC aspirations.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Oh how I love the emotional argument when someone just has a differing opinion. If you think there is no possible logical reason for anyone to consider this a mediocre hire, then you may want to evaluate your own emotions.
We're just as guilty lol. But yes we all tend to call each other out for the same behavior we dislike. Keeps things spicy lol

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
it's a step up from GA.
But I am underwhelmed by any move the current coach has made that hasn't included pink slips. Shoot, ask Georgia fans what they think of Chaney as an offensive mind.
I'm not gonna toss roses and fart sunshine just because our coach hired an ex SEC offensive coordinator as an analyst.
I'll be whelmed when he equals in one season his win total through three seasons.
Until then ...
You do realize that we have to replace those he gave pink slips too correct? And since "loosing the last 2 games 100-0" has been a rallying cry for many, we hire guys who were part of that butt whipping and yet....complaints everywhere. Who cares what leg humpers think or feel anyway? Ask them how they felt about him at the Rose Bowl. Not his fault Kirby can't evaluate qb's. (Don't give me that Stetson won crap. Without a dominating D, they wouldn't have made the playoffs. Stetson = Joe Flacco)
I sure hope many doom and gloomers on this board are brought in by the AD (new or current) for their opinion on who the next coach (position, analyst or head) should be so they will shut up about it.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
it's a step up from GA.
But I am underwhelmed by any move the current coach has made that hasn't included pink slips. Shoot, ask Georgia fans what they think of Chaney as an offensive mind.
I'm not gonna toss roses and fart sunshine just because our coach hired an ex SEC offensive coordinator as an analyst.
I'll be whelmed when he equals in one season his win total through three seasons.
Until then ...
It’s really not, Chaney hire is very minuscule to the landscape of the program. He’s pretty much what Tevin Washington was for Paul.
How much credit did Muschamp get for UGA’s historic defense last year? He was in the same role at UGA as Chaney is for us.