Chaney

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
You aren't feeling the magic of rebuilding the 2020 Tennessee offensive coaching staff that finished 90th in offensive FEI and 102nd in total offense for a 3 win team?
I’m sorry to break it to you but Tech will never be able to hire statistical leaders and hot names. At this point you want everyone you have on staff to have some experience because it’s clear Collins is not taking form as a head Coach at this level as quickly as they maybe thought he would. He needs guidance, A Heisman Winner with SEC coaching, Former Multiple time SEC OC, and a Former Notre Dame OC, is about as good as an experienced staff you could assemble at Tech on Paper. Everyone complained Collins brought a bunch of unproven guys into Tech, now we are seeing just the type of guys Tech can afford to hire when we try to get some that aren’t young and upcoming.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
“We want coaches with experience at major schools”

*GT hires multiple coaches/assistants with experience at major schools*

“No! We meant other coaches with experience”

I literally don’t know how anybody can find negatives in this hire. This is exactly the type of thing that other places have been doing for years that we’ve never had the resources to do. To me this signifies that we’re really trying to take a significant step forward this year. I don’t get what some of you people are looking for if you can’t find the positives here.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Just ignore the 5th OFEI in 2017 & 3rd 2018?

We can google too, sir
Like Yeti said, I was speaking more of the time these guys were together. Somewhat acknowledging the posts about them knowing each other. A pretty alarming stat though is what happened after these guys left UT.

2020: 90th OFEI, 102nd total offense, 97th scoring offense
2021: 6th OFEI, 9th total offense, 7th scoring offense

Pretty dramatic turnaround. Ill just go easy on our guys and say Heupel knows what he is doing on offense.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
This is similar to a Grad Assistant role, Get a grip dude.
it's a step up from GA.
But I am underwhelmed by any move the current coach has made that hasn't included pink slips. Shoot, ask Georgia fans what they think of Chaney as an offensive mind.
I'm not gonna toss roses and fart sunshine just because our coach hired an ex SEC offensive coordinator as an analyst.
I'll be whelmed when he equals in one season his win total through three seasons.
Until then ...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
it's a step up from GA.
But I am underwhelmed by any move the current coach has made that hasn't included pink slips. Shoot, ask Georgia fans what they think of Chaney as an offensive mind.
I'm not gonna toss roses and fart sunshine just because our coach hired an ex SEC offensive coordinator as an analyst.
I'll be whelmed when he equals in one season his win total through three seasons.
Until then ...
We know.
Please stop saying it over and over with a different fart joke.

JacketFan137

Banned
“We want coaches with experience at major schools”

*GT hires multiple coaches/assistants with experience at major schools*

“No! We meant other coaches with experience”

I literally don’t know how anybody can find negatives in this hire. This is exactly the type of thing that other places have been doing for years that we’ve never had the resources to do. To me this signifies that we’re really trying to take a significant step forward this year. I don’t get what some of you people are looking for if you can’t find the positives here.
i wanted us to hire andy reid to run the offense, bill belichick to run the defense and i wanted to bring in tom brady as QB coach and i wanted the ghost of coach heisman as the head coach.

i also wanted gibbs to transfer back, bryce young, jaxon smith-njigba and will anderson to transfer in too

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve been really hard on CGC and I’m not a fan, but really they’ve done a helluva job upgrading the staff. There’s no doubt we’ve improved off the field. How a thin roster that needs more talent via the portal (at a less than great time to go shopping) will tell the tale.

Gotta give credit to CGC and ADTS. These are steps in the right direction

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Picking the Covid year for a new staff is not ideal to use for your baseline
Weinke and Chaney were there in 2019 as well. It wasn't much better (76th OFEI, 100th total offense, 97th scoring offense). Im not expecting much, if anything from Weinke or Chaney honestly. Long is a different story. He has the potential to take the offense to a much higher level. We will see.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Weinke and Chaney were there in 2019 as well. It wasn't much better (76th OFEI, 100th total offense, 97th scoring offense). Im not expecting much, if anything from Weinke or Chaney honestly. Long is a different story. He has the potential to take the offense to a much higher level. We will see.

Y’all try so hard to discredit someone bc of your feelings for CGC that you end up cutting your own argument off at the knees. I repeat, how can you say Long is different yet have low expectations for Chaney when he’s produced 2 Top 5 OFEI offenses? That makes no sense

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Y’all try so hard to discredit someone bc of your feelings for CGC that you end up cutting your own argument off at the knees. I repeat, how can you say Long is different yet have low expectations for Chaney when he’s produced 2 Top 5 OFEI offenses? That makes no sense
Emotions trump logic and reason for the overwhelming majority of human beings. Sadly, a GT education apparently does not render one invulnerable to "getting all caught up in their feels". IIWII.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Here is my main reason for feeling that. Most explanations for why Chip Long left Notre Dame are related to his relationships with players and other coaches. No one ever really questioned his play calling ability from what I can find. Chaney has just been mediocre in general. He had poor results at Tennessee and got fired. Went to the Saints for a year as an analyst, got fired again. Even while at UGA, many weren't happy with his predictable style of play calling. It put up numbers for sure because of overwhelming talent but he wasn't some beloved figure there that they were sad to lose. If you think Chaney is a great offensive mind, then why has he gone from SEC OC to analyst at GT?

JacketFan137

Banned
Here is my main reason for feeling that. Most explanations for why Chip Long left Notre Dame are related to his relationships with players and other coaches. No one ever really questioned his play calling ability from what I can find. Chaney has just been mediocre in general. He had poor results at Tennessee and got fired. Went to the Saints for a year as an analyst, got fired again. Even while at UGA, many weren't happy with his predictable style of play calling. It put up numbers for sure because of overwhelming talent but he wasn't some beloved figure there that they were sad to lose. If you think Chaney is a great offensive mind, then why has he gone from SEC OC to analyst at GT?
i don’t think anyone is calling chaney a great hire as much as people are just intrigued by the fact we actually have an analyst. that has become the norm for the rest of college football and we have been behind. chaney has had success and been at a lot of different places. an analyst role is not the OC or the head coach but having someone whos been at the nfl and elite college level helping out is pretty nice. it also shows that tech football is still being taken seriously and our decision makers at the top aren’t just punting the season and the collins era like so many of our negative fans are

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Emotions trump logic and reason for the overwhelming majority of human beings. Sadly, a GT education apparently does not render one invulnerable to "getting all caught up in their feels". IIWII.
Oh how I love the emotional argument when someone just has a differing opinion. If you think there is no possible logical reason for anyone to consider this a mediocre hire, then you may want to evaluate your own emotions.