CGC reminds him of Butch Jones

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Agree that Tstan was not ready when coach suddenly decided to retire/quit..

Maybe we are getting some suzpension or forgiveness on or 12,000,000 per year interest only payment. ( Not un common in business to help the major debtor avoid default).

Hope cgc can get fans in the stands.
TStan did a fine job hiring Coach Collins after being caught flat footed by Paul Johnson'a retirement:cigar:

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
We're entering into 2019 with a team almost entirely recruited by CPJ people. So, our success for this year is dependent on coaching, not recruiting.

What we see on the field THIS year, will tell us a lot about what we can expect in the years to come, imo.

Interesting observation. I remember Cremins' first year at Tech. It was the last year before the shot clock and 3 point line, and we finished last in the ACC. But the future of Tech basketball looked good because it was obvious that this young, white haired New Yorker knew how to coach. He also proved he could recruit, bringing in the next 4 ACC Rookies of the Year (or 5 of the next 6, or 6 of 8).

Let's hope we look at Collins' time on the flats as fondly as we do Cremins' early years in the Thrillerdome.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Weirdest, Longest, off-season

Our new head-coach has never led a power 5 team. Neither our Defensive Coordinator nor our Offensive Coordinator has coordinated a squad of a power 5 team.

We're entering into 2019 with a team almost entirely recruited by CPJ people. So, our success for this year is dependent on coaching, not recruiting (yes, recruiting is an aspect of college coaching, but you know what I mean).

What we see on the field THIS year, will tell us a lot about what we can expect in the years to come, imo. Only after we see that will we be able to tell how apt the comparisons to Butch really are.

Not to be too disagreeable, but our success this year is based on who we have playing and how the coaches adjust their schemes based on who they have. Not just coaching. There will be a lot of coachable moments this year (likely a beat down by Clemson, some struggles against other teams, etc) that will show what kind of staff we have and how they keep the kids inspired. After 2 more recruiting classes, we’ll see how it all comes together or if it’s falling apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It seems the story has changed somewhat. Several years ago the narrative was that we needed to get Gif Smith back as he was the architect of the 2007 class, and to be fair, he was the primary recruiter of most of the heavy weights in that class. CGC was on the staff, but I don't think it's fair to say he was the primary source of the success. To me, he has enough recruiting prowess on his on without having to rewrite the history books to prop him up. He's doing just fine so far.

CGC essentially became the closer for the class. Here is an excerpt 07 class member Albert Rocker

Coach D (Joe D’Alessandris) was recruiting me and coach Collins was the recruiting coordinator at the time. My first visit was after Tech offered me. When I met coach Collins for the first time that is when I knew I wanted to go to Georgia Tech. The crazy part about it and it is something I tell coach Collins to this day, when I first met him it was the way he made my family feel that was the biggest reason why I came to Georgia Tech,” Rocker said. “It was going to be Duke, Vanderbilt or Georgia Tech or some other high academic school that could provide the type of education I felt like I needed to be successful. It was how coach Collins made me and my family feel like his family that made me go to Georgia Tech.”

https://georgiatech.rivals.com/news...-life-experiences-to-teach-others-in-new-book

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Hope I’m wrong but Butch Jones was the name that popped into my head during the opening PC. I guess we will start to get an answer in about 20 days.

Let’s just be clear about one thing here. There will be no “answers” in 20 days. If you even start to develop an answer based on such a transition that we are going through and having to play the defending national champions on the road then you were never going to give CGC a chance anyways.

You Paul Johnson worshipers annoy me to no end. Guy drove us into irrelevance. NFL scouts wanted nothing to do with him. Former players didn’t come around. Driving off DC’s every 3 years. Having ZERO players drafted. God forbid we try to compete. Some of you are so stuck on attempting to be “different from everyone else” and ***** and complain when we try to play big boy football because we can’t possibly compete. I say it’s bullcrap and we can absolutely compete at a high level. Glad we finally have some coaches who believe it too.

As for this article, I thought it just exactly what I’d expect from that toolbag.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Let’s just be clear about one thing here. There will be no “answers” in 20 days. If you even start to develop an answer based on such a transition that we are going through and having to play the defending national champions on the road then you were never going to give CGC a chance anyways.

You Paul Johnson worshipers annoy me to no end. Guy drove us into irrelevance. NFL scouts wanted nothing to do with him. Former players didn’t come around. Driving off DC’s every 3 years. Having ZERO players drafted. God forbid we try to compete. Some of you are so stuck on attempting to be “different from everyone else” and ***** and complain when we try to play big boy football because we can’t possibly compete. I say it’s bullcrap and we can absolutely compete at a high level. Glad we finally have some coaches who believe it too.

As for this article, I thought it just exactly what I’d expect from that toolbag.
Calm down dude, it was just a reference to the start of the season. Each game will be a piece of the puzzle into finding out what kind of coach he can be at GT. He will be judged on W and L. More W’s and he will be a good coach and hopefully be here a while, more L’s and he will not be a good coach and hopefully we will get somebody better to replace him.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

It's fine you CPJ haters annoy me. Although I didn't worship him I respected him but did think it was time for him to go.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree that Tstan was not ready when coach suddenly decided to retire/quit..

Not only is this not true, I thought it was pretty well known that Stansbury had been speaking with CPJ regularly and CPJ was keeping him in the loop on what he was thinking. CPJ and Stansbury had a good relationship. Stansbury might not have known for sure until not long before CPJ made the final decision, but he certainly knew well before that it was a possibility.

Feel free to not like the hire, but there's no reason to jump to conclusions or make stuff up to support your opinion.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Not only is this not true, I thought it was pretty well known that Stansbury had been speaking with CPJ regularly and CPJ was keeping him in the loop on what he was thinking. CPJ and Stansbury had a good relationship. Stansbury might not have known for sure until not long before CPJ made the final decision, but he certainly knew well before that it was a possibility.

Feel free to not like the hire, but there's no reason to jump to conclusions or make stuff up to support your opinion.
That's interesting because i thought Paul's retirement had caught TStan by surprise:cigar:

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
TStan did a fine job hiring Coach Collins after being caught flat footed by Paul Johnson'a retirement:cigar:
I find that hard to believe because his resignation did not surprise me. CPJ said publicly he would step down when it stopped being fun and it was clear he was not enjoying coaching for quite awhile. And Tstan had a much better perspective than us fans.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Well said. I want a coach that actually believes we can play for ACC titles and in BCS bowl games, and actually win them!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

I think TStan was well aware that Johnson might retire. But even if not, a good AD should be prepared every day he comes to work that something like that might happen.

There certainly was no juice left last year, and if a change wasn’t made we would not have been able to find the tree to pick the fruit this year.

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
This is simply not true. I've met several former players hanging out during the CPJ years, including a WR you may have heard of...

I didn’t mean literally, but the response by former players to CGC’s arrival at GT has been very well received. There have been a few that have been vocal they are happy to have CGC back.

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Google is your friend. It would prevent your fabrications on these boards.

Who was drafted in the last two years? I’ll wait... I’m not talking about players CGC recruiter for him in 2007. I’m talking about recently within the last 3 years. Which coincided with our deep slide into irrelevance.

GT should never have a year where we don’t have a player drafted. Our last drafted player may have been a kicker. Let that sink in.

The fact that you are taking my statements so literally shows your ignorance and willingness to accept mediocrity.

That’s the last I’ll post in here. I’ll say this and I’m not debating the past beyond this going forward. I defended Paul Johnson until I was blue in the face to everyone else telling me how this offense would eventually choke us once teams caught up to it and talent dipped. It was 2 years ago I realized they were right. After our 3rd DC failed I realized it wasn’t the DC’s. The offense impacted our defensive personnel’s ability to prepare for the other teams on our schedule.

I’m grateful for what he did. But I’m glad he is gone. I’ll pull no punches there. Very happy to have CGC and hope he takes us to an elite level. I’m ready for the ride.

Last edited: