CGC reminds him of Butch Jones

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Well, I am not a huge fan of Bradley, but it is strange that I told people I work with (in AL) that I thought Collins would go the way of either:

Matt Campbell - Iowa St. coach that is having tremendous success (No, I am not comparing ISU to GT for football history, only his success) OR

OR

Butch Jones - lots of talk and glamour and bravado, but fizzle out.

That is very strange, because before this article, I had seen no one else make this possible comparison. FYI - I am optimistic that we will have tremendous success given CGC has some initial success to build upon and keep the momentum going. But, let's face it, we have no idea how this will play out for sure. It should be very, very interesting.
Hope I’m wrong but Butch Jones was the name that popped into my head during the opening PC. I guess we will start to get an answer in about 20 days.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hope I’m wrong but Butch Jones was the name that popped into my head during the opening PC. I guess we will start to get an answer in about 20 days.

Great "marketeers" can be great head coaches as well, but it is not a given - I have seen it both ways. I genuinely hope he is as good of a field general as he is a sales person - if so, we might have some exciting days on the flats.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I typically despise MB, but he's not wrong in this article. The only part I'm partly in disagreement with is this:

" Later results showed a marked decline, a sign the rest of the ACC had begun to catch on,"

I think it had more to do with attrition and injury than anybody catching on, but opposing defenders gained experience and DC's had made adjustments that we had difficulty countering, but that was mainly due to lack of the right players due to attrition and injury. Some key recruiting near misses hurt, too. With the personnel we had the last 4 years, I don't think CPJ had his full bag of tricks to work with. We became pretty predictable as a result.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hard for me to figure out what makes us maddest: he got Johnson right and as per usual in such relationships after the guy left town, or that he may have the new guy right. Maybe both? We always knew Johnson would wear better at a distance. Jones is superfluous, really. At a distance obviously I tend to agree with his Collins assessment -- really, only in football could a guy get hired after high hurdling, in Bear Bryant's phrase, over 10-12 jobs in 23 years, the next one up being his dream job; you'd never even give him an interview in any stable business -- but I came through a succession of coaches in various sports who wanted less talk and more performance. In the parlance of sports writing everywhere, including message boards, time will tell and we shall see. (And I can't be the only one who sees this "Bark Madley" inversion as kind of juvenile.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In the article author says it took him a while to realize that cpj was just right for gt. Imo, i think 2015 really was convinced cpj was just right.

In support of his narrative he quotes gt athletic directors who say gt is half serious football program.

These ad s went 200,000,000 in debt building and went super cheap on coaching staff recruiting support.
Why the ad s didnt go super extra $$ in recruiting support $$$ and assistant coaching pool $$ is bizzaro.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Nobody knows how Collins will do? Tech supporters hope for the best and support the man. Tech haters point out the obvious, he might turn out to be a dud and they point out why they think he most likely will. Mark Bradley should have been fired years ago. No talent for what he is supposed to be a professional at.

Go Jackets!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I understand the comparison in that Butch was always on brand selling image and recruiting. If you're in the media, that's what you get without looking any deeper. But I think there is plenty to show how CGC is backing up his message with actually implementing specific processes to meet the marketing. There is real intentional difference in how we are practicing, training, organizing our recruiting, being involved in SAs lives outside of football, coordinating with the athletic department, etc. And we have a lot of positive signals of CGCs personal relationships and reputation in the staff that we have assembled on a far leaner budget than a place like Tennessee. So far all indications are that the players are really enjoying themselves, are bought in, and working really hard for CGC. So if you look deeper there is a big difference between the two. Of course, we don't know how it will all work out, and lots of things that show great promise fizzle out. I'm really optimistic that CGC is going to build something here, but how fast that happens and how high we climb are big question marks.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
To YJMD, well you know, I’ve already said numerous times before, I think CGC has—and should be given—a minimum of 5 years to prove his worth as head coach at Georgia Tech.

It would be interesting to see how CGC’s future 5-year record at GT would compare with that of Butch Jones’s 5-year production at UT.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Butch's failure wasn't his hype and branding efforts. It's that no one bought into them, especially the players. We've already seen evidence that Collins is different in that regard. Butch also had zero understanding of, or experience in southern football culture. Collins has been immersed in it his whole career, outside of that little detour to Philly.

I always regret clicking on a Mark Bradley article, and this one is no exception. He always threads that line between backhanded complements and insults when he is talking Tech. Meh.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nobody knows how Collins will do? Tech supporters hope for the best and support the man. Tech haters point out the obvious, he might turn out to be a dud and they point out why they think he most likely will. Mark Bradley should have been fired years ago. No talent for what he is supposed to be a professional at.

Go Jackets!

In a few years probably going to need $ for up grading the assistant coaches and maybe a new oc.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
I didn't want to open a new thread to make this post, especially since it sorta falls in line with the past couple of posts, but here is Bradley's latest take on the situation. I know lots of people hate Bradley, but I personally think this is a fair and good article ---
https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...-johnson-collins-tech/TIZ9lTAcIVHTc7WiI9nDFO/

I agree the article is "fair", but I think he's only looking at the highest level - i.e. Collins is focused on marketing/brand/recruiting, and so many other coaches are. What I don't think he's seeing is how incredibly process oriented Collins is - for all his marketing/PR expertise, that's what has me most optimistic. He has a plan, and he's applying process to everything, and that is one of the single most common threads among successful people. I don't pay enough attention to other programs at a detail level to say how common everything he's doing really is, but I doubt many programs are really managing all of these things the way he is.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Butch's failure wasn't his hype and branding efforts. It's that no one bought into them, especially the players.

They initially did, but like most athletes, became quickly disillusioned when hype didn't translate to wins. In 2015 & 16, there was a LOT of buzz that Tennessee was ready to turn the corner. Tennessee was ranked when we played them to open the season. As their season fell apart, you started seeing the locker room lose faith in him. Butch was also a lights out recruiter. He had two top 5 classes and the other two were ranked 15th.

There are a LOT of similarities between Butch and CGC as far as hype and buzz go. Hopefully, CGC proves to be as good a recruiter as Butch was, but I think he will be. Time will tell on the coaching, but I believe CGC will prove far superior in that respect as well.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Butch beat Paul

Offensive yards - 655 vs. 369 - and we still managed to find a way to lose : (

655 yards has to be a record for most Tech yards in a loss. And I would guess it may be up there with the BCS record. Just a bizarre game of mistake after mistake after mistake in the 4th by the offense, defense, and special teams. Still sad about that one.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

We've got a turnover cruiser. We're apparently not above gimmicks ourselves.

GTChaosCruzer.png