CGC on 680 this AM

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
At this moment I am not paying attention to: The coach in press conferences, interviews, etc, The AD discussing football, Football related emails, Football related stories on websites, or Football coaches/players/journalists on the web/Twitter/etc. I am disgusted with losing, and I can't say that being disgusted has nothing to do with it. However, from what I have heard from the coach and the program for the last few years, I am more than certain that there are absolutely no words that will improve my outlook on the program. It goes even deeper than that. I do not care who the assistant coaches are in September. I do not care what players are on the team (who leaves and who transfers in) in September. I do not care what offense we run in September. I do not care what defense we run in September. I do not care who is kicking and who is returning kicks in September. I do not care if the team practices well or poorly or even not at all. I do understand that those things will impact the odds of winning, but my attitude now is that it is all on CGC. If he starts to believe that not having practice leads to winning then he can go for it for all I care. When the season starts I will see what the team looks like on the field and will be able to see how many games the team can win. That is the ONLY thing I am willing to base my opinion of the program on now.
You and me both Brother! I think he should shut up and start winning. Not sure either is going to happen, but I want to be optimistic because it's February. Therefore, I'm staying away from press conferences and such. Now, just because I don't like the way he projects himself in the media doesn't mean he isn't marketing successfully to present and future players. I just don't know. All this being said, it's time to start winning or nothing else matters, period.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The problem with that is the press records and then turns that around to the fans. So the end user and consumer of press conferences are the fans. The press is there, ostensibly, to ask questions to produce the answers that ultimately will be for the fans.
If he just wanted to talk to the press without that getting out to the fans, he'd ask them up to his office. It would be that kind of stuff you get from the White House or Congressional correspondents, who quote a "senior administration official" or call it "on deep background" or some suc
I agree.

I think I mention this in a different response. I don't think we're on different pages. Besides, as I have been reminded, this was actually about a radio spot specifically designed to reach the fans. So, I take 100% of what I said back (but only in this thread).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
100% right!! I'm 100% wrong. :oops: Totally forgot the whole premise of the thread. Absolutely for the fans. But this doesn't really discount the comments I made in other posts associated with this thread.
Well I have to backtrack a little on my comment. The post you were directly responding to did reference "press conferences". I think that @Northeast Stinger was probably referring to this interview instead of "press conferences" but I can't say for sure. I think people in general get so set in their own views and their own take of a conversation and end up talking around each other. This thread has several branches and I think they are becoming confusedly intertwined.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Saban uses his press conferences to talk to a number of audiences — the press, whom he apparently has varying levels of disdain for, the fans and at times his own players. For example, rat poison, and at times "yummy" rat poison.
Some coaches know how to use that to convey their message. CGC did it early on to push the branding and all the other trappings. But the more you lose, the less people, i.e., the fans, and to a degree, the press, are interested in the fluff.
PJ may have been abrasive but he took his radio call in show to the people. And he didn't sugar coat stuff to the press. If they asked a direct question, he gave a direct answer.
And he can be really blunt and direct — and downright funny — off the record. Good reporters know how to put that info to use without burning their source.
CPJ radio show was the best no debate there. He wasn’t afraid to tell it like it is and was funny at times.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well I have to backtrack a little on my comment. The post you were directly responding to did reference "press conferences". I think that @Northeast Stinger was probably referring to this interview instead of "press conferences" but I can't say for sure. I think people in general get so set in their own views and their own take of a conversation and end up talking around each other. This thread has several branches and I think they are becoming confusedly intertwined.
Yep, I lumped the interview in with press conferences. My bad. I just have tried to watch or listen anytime CGC speaks publicly to try to figure out where the program is headed. And to me they are all equally obtuse.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You and me both Brother! I think he should shut up and start winning. Not sure either is going to happen, but I want to be optimistic because it's February. Therefore, I'm staying away from press conferences and such. Now, just because I don't like the way he projects himself in the media doesn't mean he isn't marketing successfully to present and future players. I just don't know. All this being said, it's time to start winning or nothing else matters, period.
I don't think he cares...about anything but winning ball games. Not a bad idea at that.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Collins: 9-25 (0.265)
SMU: 139-245-3 (0.360)

Looks like SMU has a better winning percentage unless you exclude the games against I-AA teams, GA, ND, games where the opponent scored more than 70 or where we scored 0. Then the variance tightens up a bit and Collins' performance looks a lot better. :rolleyes:;):ROFLMAO:

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel the same way - words just make me angry - its time to get in the bunker and fight or if that won't work then raise the white flag. I have some optimism but it won't come from a press conference. They were positive last year and that turned out to be bs.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Collins: 9-25 (0.265)
SMU: 139-245-3 (0.360)

Looks like SMU has a better winning percentage unless you exclude the games against I-AA teams, GA, ND, games where the opponent scored more than 70 or where we scored 0. Then the variance tightens up a bit and Collins' performance looks a lot better. :rolleyes:;):ROFLMAO:
I stand corrected - looks like I need to check my own math before posting! :ROFLMAO:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wait! I ended up not going to GT because math was not a strength of mine. Are you saying I might have made it?!?!

Common misconception. Engineers are typically not strong at math. Especially common among engineers entering college. Not so common upon leaving though.