CGC on 680 this AM

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
4 wins next year likely leads to a mass exodus in the portal, it will tank recruiting efforts, and fan support will be at an all time low. The way the schedule lines up will probably keep attendance inflated just enough to where it was this past year. The last home game is Miami in week 10, so even if we’re 3-6 going into that game there will still be a decent crowd because it’s Miami. If we were playing somebody like BC or UVA that weekend and were 3-6 there would probably be less than 50% capacity there.

He’s gotta win at least 5 to hold ground. Less than 5 and there may never be a full recovery. Especially with the entire landscape changing in 2025.
Coach Collins might be able to hold on to his job with 5 wins but that is the absolute minimum I would think. The exodus of starting linemen on both sides of the ball has become a serious issue. I see the very real possibility of another 3 win season but I can also see us winning 5 with some breaks.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Because we have already passed the tipping point.

And there are no excuses left when the original goal “from day one” was to field “an elite team” showing “maximum effort” and creating “a winning culture.”

So, to be clear, IF they don't can CGC next year if we win less than 6 games GT football will NEVER recover.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
4 wins next year likely leads to a mass exodus in the portal, it will tank recruiting efforts, and fan support will be at an all time low. The way the schedule lines up will probably keep attendance inflated just enough to where it was this past year. The last home game is Miami in week 10, so even if we’re 3-6 going into that game there will still be a decent crowd because it’s Miami. If we were playing somebody like BC or UVA that weekend and were 3-6 there would probably be less than 50% capacity there.

He’s gotta win at least 5 to hold ground. Less than 5 and there may never be a full recovery. Especially with the entire landscape changing in 2025.

That's why I said 5 above in my assertion. I think 4 wins and he is canned and with 5 wins he'd better have some real close losses to help his cause.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What is that based on? Is it skill, ability or production? A backup player at Bama could be better than a leading producer at a lower quality school. Playing time and production matters. Not saying those 2 losses didn't hurt, but take that stat with a grain of salt.

With transfers they base it off proven production. Backups that didn't play much get dinged no matter how talented they may be.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been as annoyed with the coaching as anyone, but what’s the alternative? If he pulls the plug on his new guys in years 1 or 2 that would have been way too early. Maybe the third year was one year too many. But this seems like the least of our complaints.
The problem isn't CGC, its the guy that went all in on CGC. Of course I would coach the team for $3M and fail. Who's fault would that be?

kalld12

Banned
I hope you're right. Keeping him on with <6 wins in year four would be really depressing and a signal that we've given up on big boy football.
and who out there is going to come in and right the ship with the CFB landscape we currently face? Between NIL deals and transfer portal who out there would be willing to accept the job? They will easily ask for another 4-5 year guaranteed contract. I'm telling you this guy WILL NOT be canned if he wins 4-5 games this year. Improvement will save his job

To be clear, im not saying noone can, all im saying of the availiable coaches out there at the pay we can offer, who is going to come in and get us to the promise land we all want? I just dont see CGC getting canned if he wins 4-5 games this year. Just my opinion, time will tell.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Now schedules are going to be our excuse!
Before we were told that we would be elite, if not right away, then certainly by year four.
TStan has got to produce or his reputation is gone.

I’d like to hear TStan explain himself on the whole Collins hiring……well…..uhhhhhhh…….ummmmmm…….maybe…..errrrrrr……ummmmmm…..not.😏

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What is that based on? Is it skill, ability or production? A backup player at Bama could be better than a leading producer at a lower quality school. Playing time and production matters. Not saying those 2 losses didn't hurt, but take that stat with a grain of salt.
I don't have a lot of confidence in those ratings, but I don't have confidence in the ratings of high schoolers either. The top guys are probably the top guys. When you get lower than 15 or 20, then you start getting into the kind of issues that you bring up.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
and who out there is going to come in and right the ship with the CFB landscape we currently face? Between NIL deals and transfer portal who out there would be willing to accept the job? They will easily ask for another 4-5 year guaranteed contract. I'm telling you this guy WILL NOT be canned if he wins 4-5 games this year. Improvement will save his job

To be clear, im not saying noone can, all im saying of the availiable coaches out there at the pay we can offer, who is going to come in and get us to the promise land we all want? I just dont see CGC getting canned if he wins 4-5 games this year. Just my opinion, time will tell.
Deion Sanders

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Coach Collins might be able to hold on to his job with 5 wins but that is the absolute minimum I would think. The exodus of starting linemen on both sides of the ball has become a serious issue. I see the very real possibility of another 3 win season but I can also see us winning 5 with some breaks.

This scenario reminds me almost exactly of the Butch Jones debacle at UT. Personally, I think Geoff has lost the support of the general fanbase, the alumni players, and season ticket holders. I don't think his record this year really matters at this point. To compete, TStan has to also start fundraising for NIL and I just don't see a lot of excitement for the product that Geoff is putting on the field. TStan can't afford to keep him given the lack of almost any institutional support. I think the best you can say is that he is a caretaker HC until a replacement is found.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I'm sure there are available good coaches, some of whom we don't even yet know the names of. We don't have to have a big name. We just need a good coach.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This scenario reminds me almost exactly of the Butch Jones debacle at UT. Personally, I think Geoff has lost the support of the general fanbase, the alumni players, and season ticket holders. I don't think his record this year really matters at this point. To compete, TStan has to also start fundraising for NIL and I just don't see a lot of excitement for the product that Geoff is putting on the field. TStan can't afford to keep him given the lack of almost any institutional support. I think the best you can say is that he is a caretaker HC until a replacement is found.
You are probably right. At this point, I am just trying to find something positive. After all, we are in the Coastal where just about anything can happen and usually does. I can't remember exactly which teams but a number of our opponents are going through transitions of one kind or another with new coaches, new quarterbacks, portal displacements and the like. In the spring, hope springs eternal or something like that. On the other hand, T.S. Eliot wrote that "April is the cruelest month." which in Tech's case is probably closer to the truth.