CGC impact

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we have to generate sidewalk fans, if possible, but we have been saying that for decades, and it has not happened. I almost don't believe it is possible, but I know CGC is trying to market GT as "cool", and I hope he is able to convert some of the masses.
The best way this happens is organically, through an existing fan bringing someone and that person gets converted. This falls more on our fan base than anything. We are a weird bunch.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I think it meant more 20 years ago. Now, with 678, 770, 706 etc ... the metro area is diluted with numbers so it may not have the impact it might have earlier. It's clever though and I hope it works.

Tech may very well improve recruiting and even (gasp) on field performance. My concern is the changing demographics of the fanbase. Older fans (who donate $$$) are dying off and I'm not aware that newer graduates are stepping up to replace them.
There’s money out there. The GTAA has been horrible about going after it. Plenty of middle aged alums and fans that can contribute, but they don’t cause no one has ever shown them any love. If they’d put some effort behind it, I bet they could get a ton of people to sign up to contribute at least $50 per month on an automatic debit (like a utility bill). Could add up to a lot of money. You get people used to giving, show them some love, and then, when they have a big $$$ windfall, you’re top of mind to get some of that.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Not sure of the point you're making, but 2014 was a pretty good year for Tech and yet ... our attendance dropped. Our peak reported average attendance was 2005 and in the last 10 years, we have been attritting 1.4% a year. My guess is we will report 38,000 in the not too distant future and probably have 30K-ish actually in the stands.
The idea is continued success is the key for attendance. Continuous years of 9+ wins

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I’ll double check but winning records weren’t a key driver. Do they have an effect? Sure ... but not as much as you think.

The demographic trends are very difficult to ignore.
What would be the key? Are we screwed due to location and Alumni type?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
What would be the key? Are we screwed due to location and Alumni type?
Well obviously not because we have been overall a successful program - at times greatly exceeding our potential taking into account size of alumni base and spend. Whether we can win playing the same game the same way as everyone else is a different question. You gotta bring something different to the table. However, like smaller market baseball teams, any mistake in personnel can really hurt because you don’t have the cash to easily make it up. We can’t punt a bad coaching hire like Auburn, Texas, or UT. Look how it has hurt the bball program. That’s the main reason I hope CGC is successful, the downside if he’s not is too painful. But we gotta see something more than hype videos and uniform reveals this year. Weve really played two years of brutal football that has been of lower quality than the talent available. That has to change We need to do more with what we have than other programs and so far we’ve been on the other end of the scale. but that’s just an opinion

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Well obviously not because we have been overall a successful program - at times greatly exceeding our potential taking into account size of alumni base and spend. Whether we can win playing the same game the same way as everyone else is a different question. You gotta bring something different to the table. However, like smaller market baseball teams, any mistake in personnel can really hurt because you don’t have the cash to easily make it up. We can’t punt a bad coaching hire like Auburn, Texas, or UT. Look how it has hurt the bball program. That’s the main reason I hope CGC is successful, the downside if he’s not is too painful. But we gotta see something more than hype videos and uniform reveals this year. Weve really played two years of brutal football that has been of lower quality than the talent available. That has to change We need to do more with what we have than other programs and so far we’ve been on the other end of the scale. but that’s just an opinion
I agree with about everything you said.

The past 2 years were expected to be bad, but I think most of us thought it would be better than what we got. Going into CGCs GT career we didn't anticipate Covid issues, but I am not sure if it changed the win column that much compared to if we had a normal year.

This year is a bowl game must, and 2022 HAS to be fighting for the ACC championship game. Otherwise we are going to be hovering around .500 with better talent than before which is never a good thing.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Yes. We are a small market team. Moneyball.
Which is nuts to me. ATL, but uga capitalized by staying in the SEC and honing in on the southern country ways of the south. While GT seems to suit more of the transits, newer Metro ATL citizens. We appeal to a different type of person than uga.
GT is STEM where the majority of southerners STRUGGLE with STEM academics. It is ROUGH. It's like selling Unsweet Tea to a southerner it just doesn't work with their DNA.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Collins appears to be trying to make the player experience more interesting and unique for recruiting. Now the GTAA needs to make the game day experience more interesting than a game and a band marching at halftime. Start winning more than losing brings in fans who want to see a good game. Keep losing and apathy sets in so potential fans find other things to do. If you want donor's then make them feel connected to the program. Losing teams don't sell tickets. People who value their money don't want to buyout millionaire contracts due to incompetent coaching either. At least I don't.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Now the GTAA needs to make the game day experience more interesting than a game and a band marching at halftime. Start winning more than losing brings in fans who want to see a good game. Keep losing and apathy sets in so potential fans find other things to do.
We just partnered with the Yankees and Cowboys in game experience company so I think with alcohol sales and hopefully increased food options the hospitality will increase.

I think once the edge center is finished there needs to be a WaHo, Sweetwater and other local brands party deck where the Wardlaw building is to create an atmosphere a la the “Chophouse”.

And winning cures everything.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not sure of the point you're making, but 2014 was a pretty good year for Tech and yet ... our attendance dropped. Our peak reported average attendance was 2005 and in the last 10 years, we have been attritting 1.4% a year. My guess is we will report 38,000 in the not too distant future and probably have 30K-ish actually in the stands.

Peak was 2003 at 52,862 per game. 2005 had 51,607. 2009 was close at 51,584. Steady downhill since...

Edit to add that 2003 was the first year after the stadium expansion.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This supported my theory of the best thing a GT grad remembers of school is leaving

Maybe that's because when we get out of Tech we get good paying jobs. There rest of them can't say that.

I never thought I'd want to go back to school after getting out. 5 years later I had two graduate degrees. The desire to continue to learn is some drug they give you at Tech.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Maybe that's because when we get out of Tech we get good paying jobs. There rest of them can't say that.

I never thought I'd want to go back to school after getting out. 5 years later I had two graduate degrees. The desire to continue to learn is some drug they give you at Tech.
Oh I agree. We just have a different type of personality. There are far more kids that go to uga, florida, ole miss, tennessee, bama, and clemson that go to simply get laid, drink and have fun. The degree is sort of a bonus for those schools. Think Van Wilder. I believe to be somewhat competitive in donations you have to have a little Van Wilder in your school.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had some good times while at GT, but it was very painful - I doubt anyone had the euphoric feeling when finals were over like (at least in the old days) GT students did. I also doubt that most other schools' graduates still have nightmares about oversleeping for a final or forgetting to drop a class they haven't attended, etc., that I know many former GT alums still have.

The dread was always there during the academic quarters, and even when having fun, if not toasted, it was in the back of your mind. Even when I was doing something healthy like playing basketball or running or flag football, I felt the "dread" and guilt. I don't know that it is the same today, since professors are not being forced to lower grades to obtain arbitrary averages for students.
Well stated. GT was the first (and last time) in my life that I was aware of and understood fully the opportunity cost of having fun.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I had some good times while at GT, but it was very painful - I doubt anyone had the euphoric feeling when finals were over like (at least in the old days) GT students did. I also doubt that most other schools' graduates still have nightmares about oversleeping for a final or forgetting to drop a class they haven't attended, etc., that I know many former GT alums still have.

It's worse at a service academy. There you are forced to participate in extracurricular activities that deprive you of study time. It wasn't uncommon to see the library full even on long weekend passes.