Article CFP unanimously approves 5+7 model for new 12-team playoff

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It matters. It's been very productive for the SEC because they've preached the narrative for decades. The SEC is considered one of the top conferences in football. That's based on the quality of less than half their members. The perception is what it is because they've passed around the baton of playing for top spot and that has bled into the psyche of the public. Polls reinforce the bias. It is what it is. I don't like it, but they've done a great job controlling the narrative. The top teams play engaging football, but their middle teams are average, at best. It's about name recognition and reputation rather than on-field results. People are okay with that, so I'm done arguing it.
If this occurs the US will need a very different approach to Olympic sports. Most Countrues have government funded sports federations that support youth moving up elite levels to make National teams. The same federations in the US are not nearly strong enough to do that, they help but are generally dependent on colleges to develop Olympic level talents in many sports.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It matters. It's been very productive for the SEC because they've preached the narrative for decades. The SEC is considered one of the top conferences in football. That's based on the quality of less than half their members. The perception is what it is because they've passed around the baton of playing for top spot and that has bled into the psyche of the public. Polls reinforce the bias. It is what it is. I don't like it, but they've done a great job controlling the narrative. The top teams play engaging football, but their middle teams are average, at best. It's about name recognition and reputation rather than on-field results. People are okay with that, so I'm done arguing it.
I have a different view.

I grew up listening to Alabama on the radio and later, broadcast tv, then cable. Now streaming. Everything revolved around the Game. Most of my family went to SEC schools .. LSU, Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, A&M.

If the B1G is better than the SEC this next year or not, it’s not going to make one bit of difference. People will get up, put GameDay on, start getting their tailgates underway, and watch football. Nobody is going to suddenly start watching B1G or ACC or any other conference because they aren’t fans of those conferences. It’s not part of the social agenda.

So folks can argue as much as they want about X beat more teams than Y, but it isn’t going to change fan behavior. But it seems important to some, so go for it. I think it’s a waste of time but that’s me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have a different view.

I grew up listening to Alabama on the radio and later, broadcast tv, then cable. Now streaming. Everything revolved around the Game. Most of my family went to SEC schools .. LSU, Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, A&M.

If the B1G is better than the SEC this next year or not, it’s not going to make one bit of difference. People will get up, put GameDay on, start getting their tailgates underway, and watch football. Nobody is going to suddenly start watching B1G or ACC or any other conference because they aren’t fans of those conferences. It’s not part of the social agenda.

So folks can argue as much as they want about X beat more teams than Y, but it isn’t going to change fan behavior. But it seems important to some, so go for it. I think it’s a waste of time but that’s me.
You're talking about watching games and game-day experiences. This discussion is about naming a national champion based on a playoff. What you're putting forth about game-day experience and fandom isn't relevant to the discussion at hand.

BTW, I do agree with your comment about fans. I see the same thing here in B1G country. They don't care anything about the SEC/ACC/B12/PAC12/etc. They care about their teams. That's just not relevant to the discussion about the CFP (except for the narrative being pushed).

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a different view.

Good points. The most mediocre, coach-hating football season in Auburn Alabama still means white tailgating tents as far as the eye can see, and that will never change. The culture of football being bigger than just 3 hours of a Saturday for certain teams and conferences is simply undeniable. And that’s a very good market of eyes to monetize.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I have a different view.

Don’t undersell theB1G fans love of there teams and traditions. Have you ever been to a Penn State game. I suspect Ohio State, Michigan are no different. Nebraska though not a traditional B1G team has as much fan support as any team in the Nation.

The ACC teams are not on the same level with the brand names from the SEC or B1G in fan love/support/life focus.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You're talking about watching games and game-day experiences. This discussion is about naming a national champion based on a playoff. What you're putting forth about game-day experience and fandom isn't relevant to the discussion at hand.

BTW, I do agree with your comment about fans. I see the same thing here in B1G country. They don't care anything about the SEC/ACC/B12/PAC12/etc. They care about their teams. That's just not relevant to the discussion about the CFP (except for the narrative being pushed).
No, that’s not the point of the most recent posts. The most recent angle is that you can objectively rate conference performance (as if it matters) and I disagree with that. The fact base folks are using is to use subjective criteria and twist it to make it appear objective.

That‘s the point of my recent posts in that context.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Don’t undersell theB1G fans love of there teams and traditions. Have you ever been to a Penn State game. I suspect Ohio State, Michigan are no different. Nebraska though not a traditional B1G team has as much fan support as any team in the Nation.

The ACC teams are not on the same level with the brand names from the SEC or B1G in fan love/support/life focus.
Not my point. I think the B1G has a wonderful game experience.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's the issue. Half the team didn't suit up for the bowl.

No one is arguing that the loss didn't count, but nuance is a real thing...
I disagree. You’re arguing that FSU beating LSU matters and UGA beating FSU like a drum doesn’t matter. That’s hypocritical. But arguing that point helps your own narrative make sense to you.

It reminds me of the engineers who refused to look at the temperature effects on O-rings because they wanted a Go Launch outcome.

All I am citing is, “be consistent“.

FWIW, I don’t care. It is because of the mental gerrymandering that fans have to do to justify a “This conference is superior to that conference” that makes the whole case spurious. And like most things, no one will likely ever change their opinion.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not my point. I think the B1G has a wonderful game experience.
B1G football is very much part of the social fabric for many of their teams. I guess I don’t understand your point. There are more Pro football fans in the B1G area simply because there are NFL teams there and more large cities than in the old SEC teams area.

Those two conference are very different from any other college football conference which is why they are rolling in money!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
B1G football is very much part of the social fabric for many of their teams. I guess I don’t understand your point. There are more Pro football fans in the B1G area simply because there are NFL teams there and more large cities than in the old SEC teams area.

Those two conference are very different from any other college football conference which is why they are rolling in money!
I think a few posters are trying to make the argument (perhaps indirectly) that the ACC is a superior football conference and provide all sorts of mental contortions to do so. To what end? Let's assume it is true (I don't agree that it is, but let's assume so.). So? Are most football fans going to suddenly fall the floor, speaking in tongues and switch their football preferences to the ACC? Or any other for that matter?

No. Football habits are formed over very long periods of time and don't change that much. So, one can argue that "the Narrative" is wrong, misguided, borderline illegal, whatever ... it is what it is. A large swath of the football watching public likes their football (that's the B1G and the SEC) and if Clemson, FSU or any other ACC team (or TCU, or Cincy) win a Natty, nothing much will change.

TL; DR: Conference v conference comparisons are highly subjective and don't mean much in the big scheme of things. It's simply a fun fact. But to each their own. I simply don't buy the arguments made.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
O
I disagree. You’re arguing that FSU beating LSU matters and UGA beating FSU like a drum doesn’t matter. That’s hypocritical. But arguing that point helps your own narrative make sense to you.

It reminds me of the engineers who refused to look at the temperature effects on O-rings because they wanted a Go Launch outcome.

All I am citing is, “be consistent“.

FWIW, I don’t care. It is because of the mental gerrymandering that fans have to do to justify a “This conference is superior to that conference” that makes the whole case spurious. And like most things, no one will likely ever change their opinion.
OK, this is just obtuse. That’s not you. FSU beating LSU in an early season game with the whole season still to be determined is one thing. FSU playing UGA without half its 2-deep because their undefeated season was rendered to not have mattered is easily another. You know those are apples and oranges. Not sure why you insist on this charade.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
All of my buddies on the Penn St forum put Penn St sports especially football above anything dealing with pro sports. They love Penn St football just as much as the die hard Ga Tech, Georgia, Clemson , Alabama and LSU fans love their teams. NFL takes a backseat to most of the big 10 football fans.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
O

OK, this is just obtuse. That’s not you. FSU beating LSU in an early season game with the whole season still to be determined is one thing. FSU playing UGA without half its 2-deep because their undefeated season was rendered to not have mattered is easily another. You know those are apples and oranges. Not sure why you insist on this charade.
I'm not so much "insisting" on it as opposed to pointing out the lack of objective reasoning. If you want to compare something, create a criteria and be consistent in its usage. That's why I don't bother with it. There's no consistency. I think I have read on these boards everything from ... you can't rely on polls because they are manipulated, you can't rely on players because the QB was out, you can't rely on history because most of it was pre-1970, you can't rely on records except the last seven years, etc.

To recap (because so many jump in halfway through a thread), I don't put much stock in "conference vs conference" opinions. If others do, fine.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think this is the first time I have ever read of a moderator of a discussion board complaining about the number of posts to a discussion board. :ROFLMAO:

Make no mistake, I don't mind the number of posts at all. I was making the point that you say you don't care, yet you never miss a chance to refute a post you disagree with. Makes me think you argue just to argue.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Make no mistake, I don't mind the number of posts at all. I was making the point that you say you don't care, yet you never miss a chance to refute a post you disagree with. Makes me think you argue just to argue.
I don't care about conference vs conference claims of superiority and I think I've been pretty clear why. But no big deal. It's a beautiful day for golf too.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think a few posters are trying to make the argument (perhaps indirectly) that the ACC is a superior football conference
Just to set the record straight, and speaking strictly for myself, I never said either directly or indirectly that the ACC is a stronger conference than the SEC in general - only that the ACC this year in head-to-head results with the SEC and FSU in particular proved that it was a strong enough conference that its champion should have been included in the playoff, post-season results after the selection committee made its choice and after half its roster quit as a result notwithstanding. In my case, I think usually the SEC is stronger overall, but this year is an exception. And really, equating FSUs performance against Ugag after their being passed over for the playoff and most of its two deep roster quit with FSU's stomping of LSU is obtuse and ridiculously absurd. But you will probably go on obtusely misrepresenting my position, as is your wont.