Article CFP unanimously approves 5+7 model for new 12-team playoff

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
IMO there’s about 6 or 7 teams in the SEC that can get the right QB and win a NC. There’s 3 teams in the big 10. The PAC had 2. The big 12 has 2 or 3 and the ACC has 3 or 4. This is my opinion on what I’ve what I’ve seen the last 35 years. Gotta get the special QB Auburn proved that with Cam because Gene Chizik stunk as a head coach and he still got it done.
There are more teams in each of those conferences. With the right Head Coach and the right QB, Most any team in any of the P4/P5 conferences could make a run at a national championship. Look at what Utah did under Meyer. Texas Tech, Oregon State, Washington, Mississippi State, etc. Wisconsin has as good a chance as Penn State, so I'm not sure who you were thinking after Michigan and Ohio State.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
There are more teams in each of those conferences. With the right Head Coach and the right QB, Most any team in any of the P4/P5 conferences could make a run at a national championship. Look at what Utah did under Meyer. Texas Tech, Oregon State, Washington, Mississippi State, etc. Wisconsin has as good a chance as Penn State, so I'm not sure who you were thinking after Michigan and Ohio State.
I was definitely thinking of Penn St because they’ve been close and Wisconsin has only been just good enough to play in the Rose Bowl. You may be right about Wisconsin but I can’t remember a year they were a threat to win the NC. Penn St knocked on the door in 94, 05, 08, 2016, 2017. Team was good enough if we were better at QB this past year. I don’t believe Wisconsin gets deep enough with talent to win the NC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was definitely thinking of Penn St because they’ve been close and Wisconsin has only been just good enough to play in the Rose Bowl. You may be right about Wisconsin but I can’t remember a year they were a threat to win the NC. Penn St knocked on the door in 94, 05, 08, 2016, 2017. Team was good enough if we were better at QB this past year. I don’t believe Wisconsin gets deep enough with talent to win the NC.
With the right QB and head coach, any team can be a threat. That's my point.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
With the right QB and head coach, any team can be a threat. That's my point.
TCU and Cincinnati are the only teams that made the college football playoffs from outside the top tier teams. Getting the right coach and QB can bake for a very good team but in the current college football landscape that is not enough. Especially as the conferences have grown. The Big 12 is the Conference where that is most likely to happen as they now longer have any Traditional Power schools.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Michigan State has been to the CFP - they might be down right now but the possibility is there for them too imo

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to imagine it with the expanded Big 10. Harbaugh leaving Michigan helps them for sure.
Yeah it took the perfect storm for Michigan St to make the playoffs. Penn St and Ohio St were cut off at the knees and Michigan in the gutter because of bad coaching hires. Alabama beat ‘em 38-0. To many hurdles to climb imo for teams like Wisconsin and Michigan St to win the NC. Nick Saban couldn’t even win the big 10. Folks, I could be wrong it’s just my opinion 😂 y’all definitely make fair arguments though

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Count regular season games that mean something to the players. I think they still mean something, don’t they?
It's useless to argue with closet Auburn fans.
Comparing LSU and their "linebacker issues" with FSUs wholesale defections after the massive disappointment of being left out of the playoffs is a pretty strong clue as to the proclivities of this poster.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's useless to argue with closet Auburn fans.
Comparing LSU and their "linebacker issues" with FSUs wholesale defections after the massive disappointment of being left out of the playoffs is a pretty strong clue as to the proclivities of this poster.
Let’s see if I understand your logic. Count wins when it favors your narrative but don’t count losses when it doesn’t.

If a team suits up, it counts. Otherwise, what’s the point?

I won’t address your lame attempt at the remainder of your post. It speaks for itself.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So count it or don't. LSU had linebacker issues. That's why these comparisons are of limited value.
If you don't count head-to-head competition, there's no way to compare, period. The FSU-uga game is exceptional in that players opted out as opposed to being injured. Yes, it absolutely counts, however, there is a difference between that game and FSU, with their starting QB injured, still beating UF. It's unfortunate that we didn't get a chance to see FSU (with their 2nd string QB) play against uga. Every time two teams play, it's situational based on who's available because of injuries.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you don't count head-to-head competition, there's no way to compare, period. The FSU-uga game is exceptional in that players opted out as opposed to being injured. Yes, it absolutely counts, however, there is a difference between that game and FSU, with their starting QB injured, still beating UF. It's unfortunate that we didn't get a chance to see FSU (with their 2nd string QB) play against uga. Every time two teams play, it's situational based on who's available because of injuries.
I don’t disagree. But you have to have comparable standards or they are meaningless. Count ALL games? Ok. Count only regular season but not post season. Ok. But let’s select which games to count and which games to exclude is highly subjective.

That‘s one of the reasons why I don’t pay attention to these comparisons. If others do, fine, but some of it is mental gymnastics that don’t establish much in the end except to confirm one’s bias.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Let’s see if I understand your logic. Count wins when it favors your narrative but don’t count losses when it doesn’t.

If a team suits up, it counts. Otherwise, what’s the point?

I won’t address your lame attempt at the remainder of your post. It speaks for itself.
Does 0 - 222 count?

To your point, if you suit up and play, it counts.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree. But you have to have comparable standards or they are meaningless. Count ALL games? Ok. Count only regular season but not post season. Ok. But let’s select which games to count and which games to exclude is highly subjective.

That‘s one of the reasons why I don’t pay attention to these comparisons. If others do, fine, but some of it is mental gymnastics that don’t establish much in the end except to confirm one’s bias.
How do you compare conferences to each other if you don't look at OOC games played? Who, when, where, and under what conditions matter. College football will always be a subjective discussion.

We're not on opposite sides of the discussion. Every game played has conditions that affect the outcome of that game. All games matter.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t its productive. I think it’s a fun fact but that’s it.
It matters. It's been very productive for the SEC because they've preached the narrative for decades. The SEC is considered one of the top conferences in football. That's based on the quality of less than half their members. The perception is what it is because they've passed around the baton of playing for top spot and that has bled into the psyche of the public. Polls reinforce the bias. It is what it is. I don't like it, but they've done a great job controlling the narrative. The top teams play engaging football, but their middle teams are average, at best. It's about name recognition and reputation rather than on-field results. People are okay with that, so I'm done arguing it.