Article CFP unanimously approves 5+7 model for new 12-team playoff

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Probably true. And how many times has that happened?
2/2 years I was discussing.

And that was certainly not the prevailing sentiment in 2016 or 2018. The narrative was that Clemson was "basically an SEC team", and the ACC as a conference still sucked.

Was the Big 12 a superior conference to the SEC this season? 3-1 head to head and knocked off the SEC's best in their own house. If we follow down that path, the SEC was, at best, the 4th strongest conference this past season, behind the Big 10, Pac 12, and Big 12.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The mythos of SEC being the BESTEST EVER is hard to overcome, becuase it is fueld by perceptions and less by actual on field results. No one thinks the SEC is a bad football conference, But many do see that they are indeed overrated (much like Notre Dame) based on their prior history, reputation, stadium size (size does matter), $$$$ and huge fan bases. They ignore and forgive the New Mexico State drubbings of Auburn, but point to the similar silly losses in other conferences. The debates always boil down to mentioning individual games (like I just did) to prove a point instead of trying to look analytically at all the data.
Analytically, the SEC is often the best league. But not always. And the data says the “average" SEC team might be favored over the “average” ACC team by maybe four or five points most years in the last decade or so. That is better. But it really isn’t the HUGE difference many SEC supporters seem to think they deserve. And, as a reminder, some season the SEC wasn’t the best league (2016, for one).
I think the reason there is so much push back is the SEC tends to come across as highly entitled, when in fact they are usually only slightly better…very slightly.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think the reason there is so much push back is the SEC tends to come across as highly entitled, when in fact they are usually only slightly better…very slightly.
I’m not an SEC hater. I grew up with the SEC and during my Tech days, Tech played five SEC teams each year: Bama, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and Georgia. Games were exciting, fun to attend, and road trips were a blast.

Some people like the ACC, others the Sunbelt, whatever. I think comparing conferences is a fool’s errand. Pick your brand of football and watch what you want.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’m not an SEC hater. I grew up with the SEC and during my Tech days, Tech played five SEC teams each year: Bama, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and Georgia. Games were exciting, fun to attend, and road trips were a blast.

Some people like the ACC, others the Sunbelt, whatever. I think comparing conferences is a fool’s errand. Pick your brand of football and watch what you want.
I’m sure. I just missed that, though in my time at Tech we still played UGA and Auburn every year, UT most years, and Alabama and Florida occasionally. Those were fun games. However, also during my time we went back to the SEC broke, hat in hand, and on the verge of bankruptcy, and asked to be readmitted. We were told to pound sand. I don’t hate them, but I (obviously) don’t like them.

As has been said, they are often somewhat better top to bottom, sometimes not, but rarely the dominant juggernaut they like to boast about. That gets old but has become the narrative. Now the financial well-being of CFB is tied to that narrative. That needs to stop.

As for our folk, there is a large space between the SEC is dominant or the ACC is. The truth, most years in between.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure. I just missed that, though in my time at Tech we still played UGA and Auburn every year, UT most years, and Alabama and Florida occasionally. Those were fun games. However, also during my time we went back to the SEC broke, hat in hand, and on the verge of bankruptcy, and asked to be readmitted. We were told to pound sand. I don’t hate them, but I (obviously) don’t like them.

As has been said, they are often somewhat better top to bottom, sometimes not, but rarely the dominant juggernaut they like to boast about. That gets old but has become the narrative. Now the financial well-being of CFB is tied to that narrative. That needs to stop.

As for our folk, there is a large space between the SEC is dominant or the ACC is. The truth, most years in between.
As I said, select your favorite brand and watch as much or as little as you want.

Re the readmit, I recall that failing because UGA voted no. Alabama voted yes. I will double check though.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
As I said, select your favorite brand and watch as much or as little as you want.

Re the readmit, I recall that failing because UGA voted no. Alabama voted yes. I will double check though.

I think Bama promised to vote yes but then abstained. I too though am only going on memory.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

UGA “abstained.” Bama (Bear Bryant) and Florida (Ray Graves) sponsored our readmission. The Mississippi schools didn’t like us and didn’t vote for us. Auburn was scared of us getting back in and was voting against us. It came down to UGA who didn’t even have the decency to vote no. They just deprived is of the final yes we needed. Personally, though I was angry at the time, I am glad we’re not with that band of thugs now.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I have attached a couple of pages from Coach Dodd's book, Dodd's Luck.

Sorry, here are the attachments. These pages cover both some of the 140 rule and the re-admission situation. Ray Graves claims that UGA and Auburn were the main objectors. Over the years, I have tried to find the actual vote by school for re-admission with no luck. If anyone has more info, I would be interested.

A few years ago, I saw an article where Vince Dooley claimed that the Western Schools were the main objectors.

Attachments

• Dodd's Luck p230.pdf
    653.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Dodd's Luck p231.pdf
    730 KB · Views: 2

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, here are the attachments. These pages cover both some of the 140 rule and the re-admission situation. Ray Graves claims that UGA and Auburn were the main objectors. Over the years, I have tried to find the actual vote by school for re-admission with no luck. If anyone has more info, I would be interested.

A few years ago, I saw an article where Vince Dooley claimed that the Western Schools were the main objectors.
I have that book. In typical Dooley fashion, he deflects by using the abstention. It was a weenie way to approach it, IMPO. Either vote yes or vote no. Let people know where you stand.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It’s pointless to compare a conference leading FSU (13-1) beating a 7-5 LSU team as evidence of conference superiority. Its equally pointless to declare a 4-8 Wake Forest team beating a 2-10 Vanderbilt team as evidence of conference superiority.

One can argue about the best conference in college football on a year-to-year basis, but one cannot argue with the success of the SEC in the national title games. Somehow, though, the argument always falls to “But we beat Vandy!” (Sigh)
While I don't disagree with your overall point about conference superiority. I think you are selling FSU's win over LSU short. LSU went 10-3, only losing SEC games to Bama and a close loss to Ole Miss. LSU was arguably the #3 team in the SEC. With a Heisman QB. FSU's 45-24 win was a statement.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
While I don't disagree with your overall point about conference superiority. I think you are selling FSU's win over LSU short. LSU went 10-3, only losing SEC games to Bama and a close loss to Ole Miss. LSU was arguably the #3 team in the SEC. With a Heisman QB. FSU's 45-24 win was a statement.
LSU finished #12 at 9-3. One of their 3 losses was to FSU which stomped them by three touchdowns.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO there’s about 6 or 7 teams in the SEC that can get the right QB and win a NC. There’s 3 teams in the big 10. The PAC had 2. The big 12 has 2 or 3 and the ACC has 3 or 4. This is my opinion on what I’ve what I’ve seen the last 35 years. Gotta get the special QB Auburn proved that with Cam because Gene Chizik stunk as a head coach and he still got it done.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
IMO there’s about 6 or 7 teams in the SEC that can get the right QB and win a NC. There’s 3 teams in the big 10. The PAC had 2. The big 12 has 2 or 3 and the ACC has 3 or 4. This is my opinion on what I’ve what I’ve seen the last 35 years. Gotta get the special QB Auburn proved that with Cam because Gene Chizik stunk as a head coach and he still got it done.
Alabama, UGA, Florida, LSU, and maybe Auburn and Tennessee?
I think in the ACC there is FSU, Clemson, Miami, and maybe GA Tech, UNC, and VPI?

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Alabama, UGA, Florida, LSU, and maybe Auburn and Tennessee?
I think in the ACC there is FSU, Clemson, Miami, and maybe GA Tech, UNC, and VPI?

The 6 you mentioned, plus Texas & Okla. That's 8 in the SEC.

Tbh, including Tech, UNC & VPI is a stretch. VPI nor UNC have ever won a natty & we haven't been relevant for a decade. So 3 in the ACC.