CFP First Ranking - I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes....

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Putting three in now so that having two at the end of the year looks reasonable.

Shocker.

EDIT: Granted these will change. There's no way the SEC actually gets three teams. Season's still very fluid.

Last edited:

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
OK - which SEC teams do you take out, and what teams replace them? I am not saying that the selection committee isn't biased toward the SEC, but right now it seems those three teams belong. As Squints said, the season is still fluid. There is no possible way all three of them make it in. And with the SEC's performance in the BCS championship games, I think we have to give the SEC the benefit of the doubt that two of their teams should be in the final four.

Let's face it, if the guy for Auburn on their kickoff team doesn't pull a hammy and allow FSU to score, Auburn probably wins that game. It isn't like FSU dominated them. And this was the same Auburn team that needed miracles to beat UGA and Bama.

If SEC schools start getting blown out in the playoffs like Notre Dame has in BCS games, you will see the committee's bias change very quickly.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm too lazy to see if it's possible (and very unlikely) but I'd love to see all sec teams with atleast 2 losses and see if one still made it over numerous one loss teams

Squints

Helluva Engineer
And with the SEC's performance in the BCS championship games, I think we have to give the SEC the benefit of the doubt that two of their teams should be in the final four.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

NO.

The rankings are for the current football season. Last year and the years before it are ancient history. They're irrelevant.

If SEC schools start getting blown out in the playoffs like Notre Dame has in BCS games, you will see the committee's bias change very quickly.
If the committee is letting the results of past seasons color their judgement for this season they're not doing their job correctly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They posted the top criteria considered is conference champ. Obviously you can't have more than one SEC champ. I'm thinking if they are true to the criteria, the conference championship games are gonna throw a big fat wrench into the weekly picks.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Auburn plays ole miss this weekend too! What the hell!! There are 19 one loss teams in the top 25 from #3 to #23...SEC bias in full swing right now but hopefully it will play itself out by the end of the season..

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="91Wreck, post: 94051, member: 680"

Let's face it, if the guy for Auburn on their kickoff team doesn't pull a hammy and allow FSU to score, Auburn probably wins that game. It isn't like FSU dominated them. And this was the same Auburn team that needed miracles to beat UGA and Bama.

If SEC schools start getting blown out in the playoffs like Notre Dame has in BCS games, you will see the committee's bias change very quickly.[/QUOTE]

:D And im sure Louisville beat UF a few years back because they didn't want to be there. Too bad pulling a hammy and "letting a guy score" isn't the reason they lost. FSU drove it down their throats and won it, fair and square.
They went undefeated and still haven't lost in 20+ games. I'm of the mind that if you were an undefeated #1, you should keep that spot until you lose. FSU hasn't.
The rankings of USCe and A&M early in the season and the subsequent rise of the teams that beat them should be a case study in confirmation bias.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

NO.

The rankings are for the current football season. Last year and the years before it are ancient history. They're irrelevant.

If the committee is letting the results of past seasons color their judgement for this season they're not doing their job correctly.
Ok, so FSU being ranked in the top four has nothing to do with them winning the NC last year?

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
:D And im sure Louisville beat UF a few years back because they didn't want to be there. Too bad pulling a hammy and "letting a guy score" isn't the reason they lost. FSU drove it down their throats and won it, fair and square.
They went undefeated and still haven't lost in 20+ games. I'm of the mind that if you were an undefeated #1, you should keep that spot until you lose. FSU hasn't.
The rankings of USCe and A&M early in the season and the subsequent rise of the teams that beat them should be a case study in confirmation bias.

FSU did win it fair and square. But a huge part of that win was a kickoff return for a td. The fsu player ran right they the hole where the AU player collapsed with a pulled hamstring. That isn't opinion, that's what happened.

And I am not arguing that the committee isn't biased. But again, please tell me what teams sec teams you take out, and what teams do you replace them with?

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
This is why I am and was against the playoffs. If a team is not the best team in its conference how can it be considered the best team in the nation? As Shakespeare said "suspension of disbelief". Everything is OK until you actually start questioning it and thinking about it.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not only the SEC but the SEC West. It's just something to discuss on ESPN until the season is over. After all is said and done I think only FSU out of this initial group of 4 will actually make it into the playoffs. Auburn barely beat a pretty bad South Carolina team last Saturday night. They are not going to make it past the remainder of their schedule. Ole Miss will lose to Auburn Saturday night and that will kill their chances. Most likely Alabama will win the west and play Georgia for the SEC championship. If they win that they will be in. Georgia will most likely have 2 losses but if they beat BAMA in the SEC championship, ESPN will make sure they get in the Final 4 (no way they do not have at least one of their SEC teams in there). The other two will probably come down to the winner of Ohio State and Michigan State and TCU, even though they lost to a pretty average Baylor team.

This will give Finebaum some great material for his show this week. Every redneck in Mississippi and Alabama will be calling in beating their chest.

Go Jackets!

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I, too, am stunned. Why is it not all four?

Here's my take: It would be four SEC teams except for one problem - it would just be the SEC championship part II. So they need one more thing - one non-SEC team that can be eliminated to further boost the SEC mythology.

This and only this is why you will never see 4 SEC teams in the playoffs - because it proves nothing. So they did the next best thing - 3 SEC teams and one team for credibility. Careful study will be given to figure out which of the 3 SEC teams has the best chance to beat F$U and that will be F$U's opponent.