CFP Discussion

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly why I am upset about them leaving out FSU. I wouldn't piss on FSU to put out a fire, but the CFP made it clear they think the ACC is lesser. All of the people defending the CFP today are going to be telling a different story when 10-2 GT is getting shafted for a 9-3 SEC team (the AP poll had 9-3 LSU ahead of 10-2 Louisville *this year* going into championship weekend).
Actually a 10-3 ACC Team. They lost to FSU, Pitt and Kentucky. LSU lost to FSU, Ole Miss and Alabama.

Not unreasonable to select LSU over Louisville. Note neither were in the Top 12 so neither would have been selected based on rankings this year. LSU #13 and Louisville #15. The question is would LSU be picked over Oklahoma #12 who was 10-2. Not likely.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually a 10-3 ACC Team. They lost to FSU, Pitt and Kentucky. LSU lost to FSU, Ole Miss and Alabama.

Not unreasonable to select LSU over Louisville. Note neither were in the Top 12 so neither would have been selected based on rankings this year. LSU #13 and Louisville #15. The question is would LSU be picked over Oklahoma #12 who was 10-2. Not likely.
He said going into the Championship game. UL was 10-2 and ranked behind a 9-3 LSU team. He was correct. UL hadn't lost to FSU yet.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
He said going into the Championship game. UL was 10-2 and ranked behind a 9-3 LSU team. He was correct. UL hadn't lost to FSU yet.
Playoff teams are picked after the Conference Championship Games so saying it was before that is pointless. Why not pick week 10? Good Lord some folks are trying to find ways to be butt hurt.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the scenario folks would be particularly concerned with is a 10-2 GT ranked behind a 9-3 LSU before the conference championship week if neither of them were playing in a championship game.

Which clearly could be likely given that 10-2 Louisville was ranked like that this year even with the second best record in the conference.

So does anyone think 10-2 GT would magically jump 9-3 LSU if neither team played the weekend of the championship games? Cause yeah I’d be worried the committee would pick 9-3 LSU as an at large team over GT in that scenario.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the scenario folks would be particularly concerned with is a 10-2 GT ranked behind a 9-3 LSU before the conference championship week if neither of them were playing in a championship game.

Which clearly could be likely given that 10-2 Louisville was ranked like that this year even with the second best record in the conference.

So does anyone think 10-2 GT would magically jump 9-3 LSU if neither team played the weekend of the championship games? Cause yeah I’d be worried the committee would pick 9-3 LSU as an at large team over GT in that scenario.
I know there's a lot of hand wringing over this but looking through the years it's very rare the committee has ranked a 10-2 P5 team outside the playoff and a 9-3 P5 team inside the playoff thus far (about as rare as the FSU situation, ha). Unfortunately it's common that a 10-2 ACC team is last in line to get an at-large spot compared to the 10-2 SEC and B16 schools and it's pretty likely to be left out that way. Also curious see what the ACC looks like compared to the UT/OU-less B12.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The committee has ALREADY showed us with their actions that the ACC will get hosed at every turn. There are going to be a lot of butt hurt threads on this board some day (hopefully soon) when an 11-1 or 10-2 GT gets left out while a 9-3 Ole Miss or Mich St get in. Those of you pointing to anything in the past to disprove this are simply naive and will be the biggest whiners when it happens to us. I’ll be pissed as well but I understand that it’s all business and the ACC is not run by businessmen which is why FSU was so easily cast aside. I’ll be here reminding those of you who laughed at FSU when you are here crying over your team.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The regular season in college football sucks and has sucked forever because 90% of teams lose hope for a meaningful season by the end of September. Those of you who believe the myth that a playoff system will hurt the regular season are just wrong. An expanded playoff gives MORE teams and fanbases HOPE for something more after September and a loss or two.

What we have here is the convergence of the people who have been programmed by the corrupt bowl system to believe that a champion can only have 0 or 1 loss. That’s the propaganda they’ve been feeding us. Luckily, that mindset is dying off and entering the retirement center while the new generation understands that hope is what fanbases want to keep opening their wallet deep into November and beyond. And that a 3 loss team who got better and won an extended playoff is just as worthy of being a champion as a UGA team who playEd 9 nobodies and won 3 real games to become the champ.

You wanna know why Bobby Dodd turns red every other Novembe? It’s because GT fans have lost all hope by that point in the season while UGA fans still have hope. An expanded playoff will keep hope alive and keep us from selling our Tix on stub hub.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Your flaw is 2nd ranked in the Conference. That team will play in the Conference Championship Game. At least be realistic. Now if it’s the 3rd place team in the ACC you have a point.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I hope to goodness there is a system in place when about four teams that finish 10-2 are all vying for the last spot. Instead of a committee or poll. But I doubt it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I hope to goodness there is a system in place when about four teams that finish 10-2 are all vying for the last spot. Instead of a committee or poll. But I doubt it.
Exactly how do 4 teams with 10-2 records vie for the last spot without someone making a choice?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Playoff teams are picked after the Conference Championship Games so saying it was before that is pointless. Why not pick week 10? Good Lord some folks are trying to find ways to be butt hurt.
Because it is possible that in the future the ACC could have three 10+ win teams at the end of the season due to how scheduling works. It is very important that a 10-2 ACC team was looked as lesser than a 9-3 team going into championship weekend.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Because it is possible that in the future the ACC could have three 10+ win teams at the end of the season due to how scheduling works. It is very important that a 10-2 ACC team was looked as lesser than a 9-3 team going into championship weekend.
First the original post said the 2nd place ACC team. That can’t happen. Second a 8-3 SEC team may be better than a 10-2 ACC team. That is very possible. If so the SEC team deserves to be in.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Your flaw is 2nd ranked in the Conference. That team will play in the Conference Championship Game. At least be realistic. Now if it’s the 3rd place team in the ACC you have a point.
I said Louisville was second in the conference, not that this hypothetical team would be - I said they wouldn’t be playing in the conf champ game, so imagine some tiebreaker situation or what have you. I mentioned Louisville being second this year because if the committee isn’t putting the second place ACC team over a lower-finishing SEC team after 12 games it’s hard to see the third-place team getting BETTER treatment,

The second place regular season scenario isn’t better, though - it’s hard to imagine that team jumping the 9-3 team after a loss, so the “top 2” conference championship format could be a bad thing if you don’t have a super strong reputation.

The easiest way to get multiple teams in is probably to have two strong teams from one division and one of them loses to the other early in the season so they have time to climb back up the rankings.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I said Louisville was second in the conference, not that this hypothetical team would be - I said they wouldn’t be playing in the conf champ game, so imagine some tiebreaker situation or what have you. I mentioned Louisville being second this year because if the committee isn’t putting the second place ACC team over a lower-finishing SEC team after 12 games it’s hard to see the third-place team getting BETTER treatment,

The second place regular season scenario isn’t better, though - it’s hard to imagine that team jumping the 9-3 team after a loss, so the “top 2” conference championship format could be a bad thing if you don’t have a super strong reputation.

The easiest way to get multiple teams in is probably to have two strong teams from one division and one of them loses to the other early in the season so they have time to climb back up the rankings.
You know none of the P4 teams will have Divisions next year. Once again it’s a nice theory that can’t happen. Keep trying though.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
You know none of the P4 teams will have Divisions next year. Once again it’s a nice theory that can’t happen. Keep trying though.
i didn’t say the ACC would have divisions? I said the move away will be a thing that will likely hurt the chances of the ACC getting at large teams…