CFP Discussion

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
A show earlier today predicted that next year, the B1G and SEC will have 5 teams each in the playoff. Other conferences will compete for the other two spots.
If the 12 team system was in place now an next year's conference alignment was also in place the playoffs would have 5 B1G, 5 SEC, FSU and #20 Oklahoma State.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If the 12 team system was in place now an next year's conference alignment was also in place the playoffs would have 5 B1G, 5 SEC, FSU and #20 Oklahoma State.
As far as I understand the selection process (6 highest ranked conference champs), Okie St. would not be in over CUSA champ Liberty. Not to mention if the PACn didn't qualify, SMU would get in as well. Correct?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Liberty would be in
The original discussion was all of the Power 5 conference champs plus the highest ranked Group of 5 conf champ. Obviously with the collapse of the Pac 12, it will be interesting what happens there. But under that scenario the max the SEC/Big 10 could have is 8 teams total (2 conf champs plus 6 wildcards). That would still be ugly but not 10 teams.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
As far as I understand the selection process (6 highest ranked conference champs), Okie St. would not be in over CUSA champ Liberty. Not to mention if the PACn didn't qualify, SMU would get in as well. Correct?
I said if the Conference realignments already happened. OkST would be the Big 12 Champ as Texas would be in the SEC. Hypothetical. Likely would put the highest rated G5 Champ in.

This could easily happen next year.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I said if the Conference realignments already happened. OkST would be the Big 12 Champ as Texas would be in the SEC. Hypothetical. Likely would put the highest rated G5 Champ in.

This could easily happen next year.
I can't get the math to work in your hypothetical. Starting with six conference champs leaves 6 more spots. So the max for the SEC and B1G would be 8 total. Then FSU, Okie St., PACn, G5 (Liberty). If PACn doesn't apply, then the next G5 (SMU). The only way the SEC and B1G get 5+5 in is if they modify the current rules to reduce the number of conference champs getting auto-bids.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the station (ESPN) gets some ads and the carrier does.

I have ATT, and they don’t even sell all their ads. There’s a placeholder where an ad should go a lot of the time
Many carriers are VERY bad at ad sales except for either the biggest legacy cable/satellite companies or very local cable companies with local client bases. A lot of the smaller upstart streaming services probably don't have enough eyeballs per channel to justify staffing up to try to fill the spots.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Many carriers are VERY bad at ad sales except for either the biggest legacy cable/satellite companies or very local cable companies with local client bases. A lot of the smaller upstart streaming services probably don't have enough eyeballs per channel to justify staffing up to try to fill the spots.
It happens a good bit on youtubetv too

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
sEcSPN will try to manipulate the field to get the highest viewership teams involved so they can make more money.
Absolutely. Even without the funny moniker ESPN has earned for themselves, the "E" in ESPN stands for Entertainment. Note that it's before the "S" for Sports. Their perception is that the SEC provides more entertainment and therefore more money to their coffers and as you rightly pointed out they’ll do what it takes to make more money.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I can't get the math to work in your hypothetical. Starting with six conference champs leaves 6 more spots. So the max for the SEC and B1G would be 8 total. Then FSU, Okie St., PACn, G5 (Liberty). If PACn doesn't apply, then the next G5 (SMU). The only way the SEC and B1G get 5+5 in is if they modify the current rules to reduce the number of conference champs getting auto-bids.
There are not six Conferences next year, there are 4 P5s and one G5. You have to look at this thru next year's realigned conferences. Why are you going for a 2nd G5? SMU would also be an ACC team next year. The point is that the B1G and SEC dominate the 13 in the current CFP standings. Only FSU is in the top 12 not in either the SEC or B1g. Arizona in the Big 12 is #14. Again this is hypothetical based on next year's conferences.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm confused. Right now there is a 6+6 format - the five P5 champs plus highest highest-ranked G5 champ, plus six at-large spots. If the PACn is still a member, wouldn't that mean all five P5 champs get auto-bids?
It would also seem that the 2024 arrangement precludes the combo of both 5 SEC and 5 B1G teams. I can still see the SEC getting 5 teams in, but not both SEC and B1G since there aren't enough spots after the auto-bids.
The wording is "the six highest ranked conference champions". Before the demise of the PAC12, everyone assumed this would be the P5 champions plus the highest ranked G5 champion, but it never specified that the P5 champions were guaranteed a spot. Only once in the last decade had two G5 champions ranked higher than a P5 champion; both Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina were ranked higher than the PAC12 champion in 2020.

Here's an article from a month ago about changing the format from 6+6 to 5+7: https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-cf... format would,presidents — to make the change.

A change to a 5+7 model maintains four spots for what is now the Power Four conference champions — though they are not guaranteed — and one bid for the highest-ranked Group of Five champion. Automatic qualifying spots are not designated for a specific conference but are earned based on rankings. It would be highly unusual for a power league’s champion to be left out of a 12-team field using a 5+7 format.​

In addition, there will be language added that a conference must consist of at least 8 teams to qualify for one of the automatic conference champion spots, so the PAC2 champion wouldn't qualify.

If this is adopted I see the playoff normally consisting of 1 Big12, 1 ACC, 1 G5, 5 SEC, and 4 B1G teams. About once every 3-4 years, Notre Dame or a second Big 12 or ACC team will get in.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
There are not six Conferences next year, there are 4 P5s and one G5. You have to look at this thru next year's realigned conferences. Why are you going for a 2nd G5? SMU would also be an ACC team next year. The point is that the B1G and SEC dominate the 13 in the current CFP standings. Only FSU is in the top 12 not in either the SEC or B1g. Arizona in the Big 12 is #14. Again this is hypothetical based on next year's conferences.
The wording is "the six highest ranked conference champions". Before the demise of the PAC12, everyone assumed this would be the P5 champions plus the highest ranked G5 champion, but it never specified that the P5 champions were guaranteed a spot. Only once in the last decade had two G5 champions ranked higher than a P5 champion; both Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina were ranked higher than the PAC12 champion in 2020.

Here's an article from a month ago about changing the format from 6+6 to 5+7: https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-cfp-leaders-moving-closer-to-adjusting-12-team-playoff-format-230208506.html#:~:text=The 5+7 format would,presidents — to make the change.

A change to a 5+7 model maintains four spots for what is now the Power Four conference champions — though they are not guaranteed — and one bid for the highest-ranked Group of Five champion. Automatic qualifying spots are not designated for a specific conference but are earned based on rankings. It would be highly unusual for a power league’s champion to be left out of a 12-team field using a 5+7 format.​

In addition, there will be language added that a conference must consist of at least 8 teams to qualify for one of the automatic conference champion spots, so the PAC2 champion wouldn't qualify.

If this is adopted I see the playoff normally consisting of 1 Big12, 1 ACC, 1 G5, 5 SEC, and 4 B1G teams. About once every 3-4 years, Notre Dame or a second Big 12 or ACC team will get in.

One more time...@Root4GT, explain how, even if the change from 6 to 5 auto-qualifiers is adopted (and that's far from a done deal since the PACn gets a vote), you would expect to have 5 SEC and 5 B1G teams in based on this year's rankings.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Here's an article from a month ago about changing the format from 6+6 to 5+7: https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-cfp-leaders-moving-closer-to-adjusting-12-team-playoff-format-230208506.html#:~:text=The 5+7 format would,presidents — to make the change.

Imagine that: a championship “playoff,” let’s call it the “mythical college football championship” (MCFP), that includes 5 SECheat teams. I mentioned this to a staunch SECheat friend the other day and he responded, “Yes,” with the clear intonation that this would be normal and acceptable. It’s just an obvious reality that too few seem to be concerned about.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

Unfortunately I think this is right unless the Group of 5, ACC and Big 12 propose a limit on the number of teams a single conference can have.

From November 10th meeting of Conference Leaders - The 5+7 model, which was agreed upon at Thursday's in-person meeting in Dallas , is a change from the previous 6+6 proposal and still requires unanimous approval by the 11 presidents and chancellors who control the CFP. I wonder if any conferences would balk against this change. It looks like the Pac 12 would still get a vote but not be considered an automatic bid conference based on the following:

CFP Management Committee approved a new policy last week requiring conferences to have a minimum # of members (likely 8) for its champ to be eligible for an auto bid, director Bill Hancock tells @YahooSports. Hancock says the change doesn’t need unanimous consent from presidents. Of course the Pac 12 might test this in court because I am sure they would lock to block this provision.

My only guess of why everyone would go along with the change is the fear the SEC and Big 10 will split off if they don't get their way on number of at-large bids.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
One more time...@Root4GT, explain how, even if the change from 6 to 5 auto-qualifiers is adopted (and that's far from a done deal since the PACn gets a vote), you would expect to have 5 SEC and 5 B1G teams in based on this year's rankings.
I don't know about 5 and 5, but certainly 4 and 4 most years the way things are stacked up now.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
And this is why once the public sees this 12 team system being dominated by the SEC and BIG we’ll get another expansion into the 24 team range. This has how it always works. We all know about it now because we love this sport. But 97% of the population will wake up next year and see that out of 12 teams invited that 9 or 10 will be from 2 conferences. Sure, the SEC and BIG are much smarter than the other conferences which is why they set it up this way. When the playoff games prove wildly successful with TV ratings they’ll agree to expand which will get those 2 conferences more teams in but will also allow other schools normally left out to get in on those years they get to 9 wins (think the GT’s, Wake’s, Arizona, BYU, etc).

And, of course, my premise is that once you get a real playoff, that upsets will prove what a farce we’ve been living under for decades. For decades, the Bama’s, UGA’s, and Oklahoma’s have played 3 game seasons to prepare for and focus on. Once you make Kirby plan for more than just Florida, Auburn, and the SECCG you’ll see them lose more games. And injuries will play a huge part with the addition of 4-5 more games. Just like we see in every other sport with a legit playoff system, you’ll see the fake dynasties built on invitations disappear. Sure, Bama and UGA will be in the mix every year but they won’t win it at nearly the same pace.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
And this is why once the public sees this 12 team system being dominated by the SEC and BIG we’ll get another expansion into the 24 team range. This has how it always works. We all know about it now because we love this sport. But 97% of the population will wake up next year and see that out of 12 teams invited that 9 or 10 will be from 2 conferences. Sure, the SEC and BIG are much smarter than the other conferences which is why they set it up this way. When the playoff games prove wildly successful with TV ratings they’ll agree to expand which will get those 2 conferences more teams in but will also allow other schools normally left out to get in on those years they get to 9 wins (think the GT’s, Wake’s, Arizona, BYU, etc).

And, of course, my premise is that once you get a real playoff, that upsets will prove what a farce we’ve been living under for decades. For decades, the Bama’s, UGA’s, and Oklahoma’s have played 3 game seasons to prepare for and focus on. Once you make Kirby plan for more than just Florida, Auburn, and the SECCG you’ll see them lose more games. And injuries will play a huge part with the addition of 4-5 more games. Just like we see in every other sport with a legit playoff system, you’ll see the fake dynasties built on invitations disappear. Sure, Bama and UGA will be in the mix every year but they won’t win it at nearly the same pace.
Im just waiting for that Butler type of team. Beat the heavy weights (who cant offer any type of excuse) and make it to the championship.