CFP Discussion

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So all of the reporting in that article is just complete BS? How are you so sure that would be the case? Conspiracy theory? If you clearly look at it, Florida State was missing their star quarterback, looked horrible at the exact time the committee was picking teams. it’s not that complicated. 🤷🏽‍♂️
ESPN was already pushing for someone to jump FSU even before Travis got hurt.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
So what happens if Milroe blows out his knee in practice this week? You gonna kick Bama out? This whole thing is stupid. Undefeated in a P5 conference should be an autobid unless there are 5.

They are already in. Do you want to pull them out now? That doesn’t make sense.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Exactly! Just like leaving out an undefeated P5 team makes no sense.

If they are at full strength, you are absolutely correct. If not, and there is a risk of a blowout or an ugly game, or a team that can’t get a first down like on Saturday, it gives the committee a reason not to choose them.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think we've beat the horse to death by now. the committee report and ESPN reports at.least to me show how much bs that had to make up to justify their stupid decision

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Their intent is not to put in the four teams who accomplished the most during the season. It is to get the best matchups for the TV show. Why don’t people understand this?🤷🏽‍♂️
Lorenzo... we do. We get your point and most of us agree. It's an extravaganza, not a playoff.

First, however, they call it a playoff. It is not as you have said over and over. Second, we simply don't agree with their assumptions they made to pursue that goal - which you seem to agree with. They are assuming, if you have it correctly, that FSU a) cannot win, and b) is at significant risk of getting blown out, and c) puts at risk the watchability of the game at threatening their cash flow. However, I and others contend that FSU, with that D, a) absolutely can win, and b) will not get blown out (they certainly may lose but they won't get blown out), and c) might, with their undefeated record at stake, a backup QB, and a very stout D, be the story of the extravaganza... "Can FSU's diminished O and elite D pull it off and win it all against the odds." To me, that's high football drama and it's a game or two I'll darn sure watch. Everybody likes an underdog! This FSU team would be the quintessential underdog, albeit a very deserving one. Now Alabama is the underdog... who the heck wants to cheer for that?!

That the committee couldn't (or wouldn't) see this is very telling and feeds The SECheat Narrative to a T. That's why you have so many people who are so pi$$ed off about this.

Last edited:

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
There’s a real easy way to clarify what this is about.

Name one set of circumstances, any circumstances, in which an undefeated SEC conference champion gets left out of a playoff.

See how easy that is?
Sure and I’d say “Auburn runs table but can’t move the ball after their stud QB goes out and they played Mizzou in the SECCG and didn’t look great while FSU had one loss to Michigan but beat a previously undefeated Miami in the ACCCG and jumped them” and you just would say you didn’t agree because I’m saying “I think it makes sense given this season and this FSU injury” while you’re saying “I’m l certain what would happen in hypothetical alternative seasons”.

Good news is that none of those hypothetical seasons even have a chance of happening in the future since that undefeated champ isn’t gonna be >12.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ok, their horrid performance with their 3rd string quarterback right when the final decision was being made was probably really bad timing for them. Better? ;) 😂 I mean, it's quoted in the article that their offensive performance, with their 3rd string quarterback, was part of the reason they lost votes. I swear I'm not making this up. :rolleyes:
Eh, you ignore Alabama's horrid performance against Auburn, in your cherry-picking fashion. FSU's "horrid" performance was turned in by their third string QB who would be on the bench in the playoffs.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
So all of the reporting in that article is just complete BS? How are you so sure that would be the case? Conspiracy theory? If you clearly look at it, Florida State was missing their star quarterback, looked horrible at the exact time the committee was picking teams. it’s not that complicated. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Because it was obvious to anyone that knows what this playoff committee does. I've said all week FSU wasn't getting in.

I still don't get the looking terrible argument. They held a team that averages 31 a game to 6 points. If they would've won 36-30, nobody would've been saying they looked horrible despite winning by one score instead of two.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Because it was obvious to anyone that knows what this playoff committee does. I've said all week FSU wasn't getting in.

I still don't get the looking terrible argument. They held a team that averages 31 a game to 6 points. If they would've won 36-30, nobody would've been saying they looked horrible despite winning by one score instead of two.
It's like defense doesn't even matter. Bottom line is, FSU won the game by ten points, and, parenthetically, beat the spread by > touchdown.