CFP Discussion

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
True but it’s different fanbases so it’s not the same money. The Falcons fanbase is a lot different from GT and UGA. The money is still there even if other sports attract fans. You could have the Masters, the Daytona 500, an NFL game, an NBA game, and a college football playoff game all on the same day and the money would flow.

This isn’t technically incorrect, but there are a lot of overflow in those groups. I am a bigger GT fan than Falcons, but if we’re having a Geoff-like season and the Falcons are even just average, I’m probably going to be focused on the Falcons.
You also have the flip side of the that, though. If we’re having a good year, I’m picking GT even if the falcons are undefeated.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Many politicians from both sides of the aisle have weighed in. Who knew college football could unite the country?! But politicians should stick to politics and not talk about sports....(IYKYK)

On another note. All of this is just funny to me and will mean nothing once the games start again. Everyone will move on, and years from now this FSU team will be a footnote to some random trivia question sponsored by Aflac.

I think FSU loses to UGA, and this argument will give way to something else everyone can feel enraged about.
FSU doesn't have to beat uga to smear egg on the committee's face, just giving them the kind of fight we did will do the trick. This plus Mich sending the Tide out will be icing on the cake.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
A conference with 5 teams also devalues the regular season. An LSU win or loss to Alabama is irrelevant. Both will have their playoff slot regardless of outcome. Remember when they used to tell us that every week is a playoff game in college football? Not true. A well-designed playoff would make a conference championship the primary path to entry. I'm okay with a few wild cards, but the last few weeks of the regular season become very compelling when most games could have an impact on final conference standings. The pro leagues have this figured out. Maybe the TV execs driving this train will eventually figure it out for NCAAF.
Limits on conference participation in the playoffs were part of the fight about expanding to 12 teams. Big Ten and SEC will never agree to a limitation since they will be the primary beneficiary. I personally think a limit of say 3 teams per conference would be fairer. Using that measure, you would potentially have 3 SEC, 3 B10, ACC Champ, Big 12 champ, Group of 5 champ with highest rank, and 3 other top ranked teams. That would mean at least half of the field would be outside the SEC and B10.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Limits on conference participation in the playoffs were part of the fight about expanding to 12 teams. Big Ten and SEC will never agree to a limitation since they will be the primary beneficiary. I personally think a limit of say 3 teams per conference would be fairer. Using that measure, you would potentially have 3 SEC, 3 B10, ACC Champ, Big 12 champ, Group of 5 champ with highest rank, and 3 other top ranked teams. That would mean at least half of the field would be outside the SEC and B10.
Would love to see that. But that would require the Powers That Be to decide (like the rest of us have) that college football is better when more teams have a path to the championship. And based on recent events, not sure that's gonna happen.

Still, we can dream...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is true because when the southern teams pulled even with the northern teams the media (AP, Scripps, and other polls) continued to vote for the northern schools. This artificially kept the southern teams down for an additional 20plus years. Eventually, the southern teams (post integration) simply began dominating to the point even the corrupt polls couldn’t overcome. And ever since the northern schools have just been beaten down to the point they lost hope and their fanbases no longer care.
I’m not sure the exact point at which souther football caught up to and surpassed the north, but I think northern fans were moving on long before that, and much of it had to do with divorcing the sport from any serious connection to academics. That is certainly why the Ivy League decided to get out of major college football.

In 1973, when Bear Bryant was trying to earn respect for the south, football superiority was still up for grabs. He only lost to Notre Dame by one point, a bitter loss for regional pride at the time, and that as a kid almost made me cry, but a sign things were changing. Alabama finally won in 1987 after four tries. Notre Dame’s fortunes will always be limited in our new reality due to scruples about academics.

But, again, southern football, in particular, seems to be clinging to a tradition that other parts of the country don’t share. When I lived in the northeast I never saw anyone invested in personal validation by beating some team from some other region, at least not the fans I knew. That is as southern as grits and hush puppies.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m not talking about Michigan or Ohio State or ND. Those are the 3 northern schools who survived. I’m talking about all those teams who have fallen off when the southern teams rose. Illinois, Rutgers, BC, Syracuse, Minnesota, Maryland, Iowa, etc. Heck, GT is a victim of it. We fell off the map after integration and the powerhouse southern teams arose.

I have zero emotion in most things other than GT. But outside of Columbus, Ann Arbor, and South Bend the north is dead regarding college football. My family is from central PA so I have a ton of Penn State and Pitt cousins, Uncles, Aunts, etc. None of them follow the sport like they did in the 80’s because, like GT, they can’t truly compete on this unlevel field of money and that players don’t go north.
The SEC integrated in 1967 when Kentucky became the first SEC school to have black players on the team. The first BCS title game was held in 1998. Between 1967 and 1997, the SEC won at least a share of a national title 6 times in 30 years, and Alabama was 4 of them.

The first BCS game was held in 1998, and ESPN started SEC TV in 2009. In the 10 years between 1998 and 2008 the SEC won 4 national titles.

From the first year of SEC TV in 2009 until the last year of the BCS in 2013 the SEC won 4 of 5 available national titles, and had a representative in every title game, including an all-SEC final.

SEC Network replaced SEC TV in 2014, which was also the first year of the CFP. Between 2014 and 2022 the SEC won 6 of the 9 available national titles. They’ve had a representative in every iteration of the CFP (the only P5 to do so), they’ve had a representative in every title game but one, and there’s been 2 all-SEC title games.

So a rundown. Between the SEC’s integration in 1967 and ESPN’s creation of SEC TV in 2009, the SEC won a share of 11 national titles in 43 seasons (25%)

Since the creation of SEC TV, there have been more seasons where the national title game was 2 SEC teams (2011, 2017, 2021) than there were with none (2014). The SEC has won 10 titles in 14 seasons (71%), and is the only conference to never be left out of the playoff.

The SEC always won their fair share of titles, but isn’t it interesting that immediately after the biggest proponent of college sports started a deal with the SEC they started dominating in a way never seen before? ESPN controls the narratives of the college sports landscape. Them being heavily invested in the participants of the sport should be a conflict of interest, and clearly it is. But it’s never stopped them, and it never will unless it’s taken to a court of law (which it won’t be).

Long story short, yeah the southern teams caught up to the northern teams, but there has been actual propaganda spewed across the largest media outlet in the sport for a couple of decades now, and that is a large reason why we are where we are now. SEC bias and propaganda is real. And even if it doesn’t affect the polls or the selection committee (which it does), it does impact the public perception. That impacts where athletes decide to go, where money gets spent, who watches what games, the legacies of coaches, etc. It’s honestly astonishing that it’s been allowed to go on for as long as it has, and will continue to do so.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with you. Someone I do believe s is behind all this be it ESPN or someone else. It's not that I like FSU hell after they run their mouth at the start of year, I wanted to see them lose every game this year. Most of us get sick of the build up by ESPN how great the SEC is every year no matter if they win or lose. It does seem funny that the 4 teams are 2 that will be in the SEC and the other 2 are teams that will be in the Big10 next year.
Have you seen the replay of Gameday BEFORE Travis got hurt? The fix was in and this comes from someone who thinks conspiracy theories are for the retarded.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The SEC integrated in 1967 when Kentucky became the first SEC school to have black players on the team. The first BCS title game was held in 1998. Between 1967 and 1997, the SEC won at least a share of a national title 6 times in 30 years, and Alabama was 4 of them.

The first BCS game was held in 1998, and ESPN started SEC TV in 2009. In the 10 years between 1998 and 2008 the SEC won 4 national titles.

From the first year of SEC TV in 2009 until the last year of the BCS in 2013 the SEC won 4 of 5 available national titles, and had a representative in every title game, including an all-SEC final.

SEC Network replaced SEC TV in 2014, which was also the first year of the CFP. Between 2014 and 2022 the SEC won 6 of the 9 available national titles. They’ve had a representative in every iteration of the CFP (the only P5 to do so), they’ve had a representative in every title game but one, and there’s been 2 all-SEC title games.

So a rundown. Between the SEC’s integration in 1967 and ESPN’s creation of SEC TV in 2009, the SEC won a share of 11 national titles in 43 seasons (25%)

Since the creation of SEC TV, there have been more seasons where the national title game was 2 SEC teams (2011, 2017, 2021) than there were with none (2014). The SEC has won 10 titles in 14 seasons (71%), and is the only conference to never be left out of the playoff.

The SEC always won their fair share of titles, but isn’t it interesting that immediately after the biggest proponent of college sports started a deal with the SEC they started dominating in a way never seen before? ESPN controls the narratives of the college sports landscape. Them being heavily invested in the participants of the sport should be a conflict of interest, and clearly it is. But it’s never stopped them, and it never will unless it’s taken to a court of law (which it won’t be).

Long story short, yeah the southern teams caught up to the northern teams, but there has been actual propaganda spewed across the largest media outlet in the sport for a couple of decades now, and that is a large reason why we are where we are now. SEC bias and propaganda is real. And even if it doesn’t affect the polls or the selection committee (which it does), it does impact the public perception. That impacts where athletes decide to go, where money gets spent, who watches what games, the legacies of coaches, etc. It’s honestly astonishing that it’s been allowed to go on for as long as it has, and will continue to do so.
Excellent analysis.

GeorgiaTex

Georgia Tech Fan
FSU won the ACC, which whipped the SEC head-to-head. Alabama lost an OCC game (not a vaunted SEC opponent) by 10 points at home. Oh, did I forget to mention Alabama LOST and then required a miracle to beat a 6-6 Auburn team last week? An undefeated P5 (soon to be P4) champion being excluded for a 1-loss team from an inferior conference this year (yep, look at the head-to-head records) being left out is pure corruption.
As far as ACC- SEC head to head, LSU is a good win. However 2 wins over South Carolina plus the Aggies, Vandy and UF is nothing to crow about. Good spin though.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
DeSantis is asking the Florida Legislature to fund a lawsuit.

I should have put my money on our phantom governor to do this! If this happens all the chaos I was laughing about in an earlier post will come to pass. You gotta believe a DeSantis appointed judge (that just happens to be an FSU grad) in FL will stay the CFB playoffs while this is adjudicated!

Pop Corn GIF by REYKON

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As far as ACC- SEC head to head, LSU is a good win. However 2 wins over South Carolina plus the Aggies, Vandy and UF is nothing to crow about. Good spin though.
Weird though that ESPN thought that Georgia’s win over South Carolina and Florida, and Alabama’s win over Texas A&M were significant victories at the time. But I get it, “It just means more.”

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How many ACC and SEC teams are in the New Year's Six? I'll hang up and listen.
Oh you mean the games that the same committee who left undefeated FSU out of the playoff hand picked the participants in? Yeah, great argument there.

All you need to know about the committee and the NY6 games is that Liberty is representing the G5 after playing the worst schedule in college football, because according to the committee, “they just kept winning.” It’s a joke. None of it is indicative at all of who the best teams are. To make it even more of a joke, every time the SEC loses a bowl game it’s because they weren’t motivated to be there if you listen to propaganda they force feed you.

GeorgiaTex

Georgia Tech Fan
The ACC only had two 10 win teams! The second one lost to 7-5 Kentucky. The ACC is inferior to the SEC. Plus the SEC adds Texas and Oklahoma. While the ACC adds SMU, Cal and Stanford. The strong get stronger and the weak get weaker.