CBK Says the O-line

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Venables also just had our number. His defense maintained their assignments better than every other team against us. So when they aren't making mental mistakes and they are overpowering us, was reaal tough to move the ball.
Most teams were also having to spend significant extra practice time outside the week of the game specifically preparing for our offense. UGA did, a lot, and I imagine Clemson did too.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Most teams were also having to spend significant extra practice time outside the week of the game specifically preparing for our offense. UGA did, a lot, and I imagine Clemson did too.
Duke would try to schedule navy or army so they had at least more than one 3O team to prepare for. Cutcliff had our number somehow. He saw something that gave his D pretty good performance against PJ.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Idk, he basically said the same thing last year. This coaching staff absolutely loves to talk with no weight behind their words.
Yeah, but he’s a leader. What’s he supposed to say, that the O line sucks and we are going to be awful? That’ll sure motivate the unit

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but he’s a leader. What’s he supposed to say, that the O line sucks and we are going to be awful? That’ll sure motivate the unit
“They can’t just go out there and roll their hats on the field and expect to win.”

I can remember more than a few coaches who poor mouthed a unit to get them fired up. Not arguing that this should or should not be done in this particular case but it happens.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he's speaking to his players here, but telling them they are really good won't motivate them either, more likely they stop working hard. Choice routinely told the running backs they were awful to make them work harder and keep their egos in check, Paul regularly said when we had a bad practice or week of practice, and many other coaches do the same.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't think he's speaking to his players here, but telling them they are really good won't motivate them either, more likely they stop working hard. Choice routinely told the running backs they were awful to make them work harder and keep their egos in check, Paul regularly said when we had a bad practice or week of practice, and many other coaches do the same.
Bill Parcells coached Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler to Super Bowl wins. Parcells liked to be gruff, but he said if he looked at Hostetler the wrong way, that his QB lost confidence. He had to treat Hoss with kid gloves.
Meanwhile Simms was convinced “that his middle name started with F” because of how Parcells yelled at him.
There’s not one way to treat players, even on the same team.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year was last year. That does not mean the oline will suck this year. We have 4 transfers and young guys that have developed. If Key likes what he is seeing this year, that is a real thing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo, key was saying we have a lot of ol guys who are bigger and healthy. We have 8 that can play and not be easily beaten.

He did not site so obvious issues- about the ol that the players, coaches and fans know.

1. Our ol- u see that we have people that are long and are naturally big. The problem is that almost the WHOLE group are sophomores or lower.

2. This year we are facing acc teams that have much more mature players
For example , The Clemson Defense has senior level players who we're top recruits, were excellent. Last year. These guys will give our guys a real test.

He said this us our group, they are big enough and they are ready to battle

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bill Parcells coached Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler to Super Bowl wins. Parcells liked to be gruff, but he said if he looked at Hostetler the wrong way, that his QB lost confidence. He had to treat Hoss with kid gloves.
Meanwhile Simms was convinced “that his middle name started with F” because of how Parcells yelled at him.
There’s not one way to treat players, even on the same team.

Bill Belicheck famously treated Tom Brady like a rookie...EVERY year to 1. Keep Brady's ego in check. 2. Show Brady's teammates no one, not even the star QB, was above the team.

Of course, Brady took umbrage after a decade of being treated like a rookie even after all those years of taking less money, and playing like one of the top QBs in the league, that he eventually decided to leave NE.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Bill Belicheck famously treated Tom Brady like a rookie...EVERY year to 1. Keep Brady's ego in check. 2. Show Brady's teammates no one, not even the star QB, was above the team.

Of course, Brady took umbrage after a decade of being treated like a rookie even after all those years of taking less money, and playing like one of the top QBs in the league, that he eventually decided to leave NE.
And in the era of free transfers, kids getting feelings hurt could be a real detriment. I am by no means saying players should be treated with kid gloves, but realistically the transfer rules make it very easy to move on (assuming you have the talent that other schools have interest in).

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
And one more thing, no previous GT coach had to deal with the transfer rules on NIL of today. It does make it a little different. Of course, the offset of this is going to schools who pump out NFL draft picks...like Alabama, Clemson, UGA, etc.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
If there’s one thing I’m pretty confident about with CGC, it’s that he’s not going to get left behind in terms of innovations/trends in cfb. That’s the one area where I think we’ve seen an improvement in the program. And it’s more important than ever.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He could be like most coaches and praise them but say we need to improve in certain areas. Nobody is good on opening day.

slugboy

Staff member
He’s already said phrases like “<player name> has a lot of potential, but it’s time for them to start living up to that potential”. It’s not all rainbows and unicorns in the pressers. He’s not acting like Lou Holtz and poor-mouthing his team, and I’m good with that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see how you know enough about this coaching staff when their first game at Tech is still 2+ weeks away.
Brent Key is entering his what, fourth year on the staff?

I just take heart from what I've read about Chip Long focusing on the OL. That gave me more hope than anything Brent Key could possibly say at this point.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key is entering his what, fourth year on the staff?

I just take heart from what I've read about Chip Long focusing on the OL. That gave me more hope than anything Brent Key could possibly say at this point.
I think key had a lot to do w hiring Long.

Then they got a staff of veteran assistant coaches who they knew

Imo, we rushed the first set of hires .