CBK Says the O-line

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Coach Brent Key says the o-line will pull its weight. I hope they're heavy enough!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"Georgia Tech offensive line coach Brent Key has put it out there. In his estimation, when the Yellow Jackets open their season Sept. 5 against No. 4 Clemson at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, his offensive linemen will be ready to pull their weight.
“When we put those five guys in the first game, and we have the adequate backups that we know we are going to play in that game, I have 100% confidence in those guys that we put on that field that we’re going to go to battle, and we’re going to win with this year,” Key said Monday following the Yellow Jackets’ eighth preseason practice."

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
My concern with the O line is not the size and the talent. I think we have that. We lack snaps as individuals and more importantly snaps as a unit. The best Olines usually have tons of experience playing together. To me the fact that CBK is still juggling people around 20 something days before toe meets leather is not good. Hopefully he earns his salary this year.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
"Georgia Tech offensive line coach Brent Key has put it out there. In his estimation, when the Yellow Jackets open their season Sept. 5 against No. 4 Clemson at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, his offensive linemen will be ready to pull their weight.
“When we put those five guys in the first game, and we have the adequate backups that we know we are going to play in that game, I have 100% confidence in those guys that we put on that field that we’re going to go to battle, and we’re going to win with this year,” Key said Monday following the Yellow Jackets’ eighth preseason practice."
Idk, he basically said the same thing last year. This coaching staff absolutely loves to talk with no weight behind their words.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Idk, he basically said the same thing last year. This coaching staff absolutely loves to talk with no weight behind their words.

Even if the o line wasn’t doing well in camp, why in the world would a coach give away weak points? Right now we have a lot of unknown on the line, so why give a place for an opposing team to attack.

I don’t understand this fascination with what they say in press. They might say the same thing over and over, but an answer to the same question ain’t going to change.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
How would you know, "this coaching staff absolutely loves to talk with no weight behind their words"?

JacketFan137

Banned
if he said “no our offensive line is terrible this season and i don’t expect improvement” would that make you happy?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
if he said “no our offensive line is terrible this season and i don’t expect improvement” would that make you happy?
Kinda, actually. The only coaches who say that are the ones who have had success and they are trying to get peoples’ heads on straight... I can’t wait for that day!

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
My concern with the O line is not the size and the talent. I think we have that. We lack snaps as individuals and more importantly snaps as a unit. The best Olines usually have tons of experience playing together. To me the fact that CBK is still juggling people around 20 something days before toe meets leather is not good. Hopefully he earns his salary this year.
I understand your concerns; however, I like his idea about trying different combinations of linemen/positions to see who plays well together and to see if they function well. Once he decides who to go with, I would like to see him light em up with tough love when they make mistakes and give them the opportunity to improve and keep their jobs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I understand your concerns; however, I like his idea about trying different combinations of linemen/positions to see who plays well together and to see if they function well. Once he decides who to go with, I would like to see him light em up with tough love when they make mistakes and give them the opportunity to improve and keep their jobs.
Agree - but don't agree he hasn't tried.
We have been thin at ol for years - guys play hurt and hurry back from injuries- some times too qui kly.

You and CEB and abadu go should get a ticket on west stands (N 30 yd line is ol huddle) Bring some binoculars and them see them huddled up Key is often there with diagraming the play , the screw up, and sometimes he speaks forcefully to a player .

We have had players that weren't Physically able make sins of COMMISION.

I think u will get your wish this season - watching the acc at gt - there are several ol screw ups during the cgc / safety film session. The center was suppose to help the guard but he locked 0 and tackle split the gap w right guard. Would have been a sack.

I hope we can be physical we good techniques and have fewer sins of OMISSION.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean there are some top coaches who will talk about how terrible their team looked / looks in practice. Those coaches tend to be mocked for downplaying their own team, but they also tend to win a lot. Not saying I like that approach either, but the sunshine generator coming out of our staff has lost its potency. We'll see how they look on 9/5. The tough thing is, they could be much better and not show it against Clemson's DL.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I mean there are some top coaches who will talk about how terrible their team looked / looks in practice. Those coaches tend to be mocked for downplaying their own team, but they also tend to win a lot. Not saying I like that approach either, but the sunshine generator coming out of our staff has lost its potency. We'll see how they look on 9/5. The tough thing is, they could be much better and not show it against Clemson's DL.
What i am hoping that we show neutral push against the clemson dl.

A few years back - maybe 2016 - they were so awesome that the just ran over the ol while chasing the ball.

WE have ahd some great ol memories
In last half of 2104 when we made the great run:
In 4th q we often put in Sham at left guard during fourth quarter. We also played ERIN JOE at right tackle - next to Shaq. 58 was our center and Chamberlin was the left Tackle. This was a massive ol that blasted the ACC and SEC.

We stopped dive blocking and went to full zone blocking - catching the other DL close to the LOS. We moved them back 1 yard on every play. When we went to strong line right bringing Sham over to right side, the MSU lb was waving HELP shift. Help .

against Clemson this year lets don't get pushed around

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Coach Brent Key says the o-line will pull its weight. I hope they're heavy enough!

His confidence is most reassuring. It is not shared by me going by past results with similar big talk before the season. IIWII

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
A few years back - maybe 2016 - they were so awesome that the just ran over the ol while chasing the ball.
I remember seeing Clem DLinemen just leap over our OL, landing in the backfield right in front of the mesh or in the middle of the pitch. There was nothing we could do.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember seeing Clem DLinemen just leap over our OL, landing in the backfield right in front of the mesh or in the middle of the pitch. There was nothing we could do.
Nope. As much of a fan of CPJ and the 3O as I was / am, even I recognize that that was the moment when the ceiling lowered (when Clemson took that next step). The 3O is awesome and I truly believe you can score on anyone, but when NFL caliber DL are in the backfield at the mesh, even CPJ struggled to find a way to move the ball.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope. As much of a fan of CPJ and the 3O as I was / am, even I recognize that that was the moment when the ceiling lowered (when Clemson took that next step). The 3O is awesome and I truly believe you can score on anyone, but when NFL caliber DL are in the backfield at the mesh, even CPJ struggled to find a way to move the ball.

Venables also just had our number. His defense maintained their assignments better than every other team against us. So when they aren't making mental mistakes and they are overpowering us, was reaal tough to move the ball.