Candid Coaches: Shoe Company influence in recruiting

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The AA REALLY needs a good contract lawyer. It seems like we get stuck on the short end of contracts at every single deal (coaches, apparel, media, etc.).
Contract lawyers don't advise on business points. That said, I'm no lawyer, but I'm happy to step in.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Didn't I read somewhere that the founder of RA or CEO or whoever has deep ties or is a GT alum?
Yes. GT's long-dated relationship with Russell is a function of those kinds of ties, but Russell is now owned by Warren Buffett. We should go work with the best overall deal, not out of a sense of loyalty.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Contract lawyers don't advise on business points. That said, I'm no lawyer, but I'm happy to step in.

But a good contract/business lawyer would advise our AA on stupid contracts (at least point out what the market is doing or NOT doing)...like say an automatic rollover contract which was the equivalent of a contract in perpetuity for a coach (Hewitt), re-upping an underperforming coach and re-setting his buyout when it was clear he wasn't going take a team to the next level which basically means you're making a buyout onerous (Gregory, Gailey), and signing a 10 year contract with a mid tier apparel company without some kind window half way through the term to "test the market for value with the right to match".

Either that, or we have really bad people in our AA who are listening to the wrong advice. In either case, GT is still stuck with the short end of it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Techster great points and you bring up a term I feel I've heard before regarding the apparel deal, which is test the market for value. We might actually be in that window. Kind of a guess on my part, but I think I've seen that somewhere.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Techster great points and you bring up a term I feel I've heard before regarding the apparel deal, which is test the market for value. We might actually be in that window. Kind of a guess on my part, but I think I've seen that somewhere.

Media contracts usually have it, and I know Notre Dame's apparel contracts have them. That's why ND seems to be changing apparel companies every couple of years.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Didn't I read somewhere that the founder of RA or CEO or whoever has deep ties or is a GT alum?

That didn't stop Auburn from jumping ship from Russell years ago (under Bowden). IIRC, their defection meant layoffs at the AL-based company which was a huge deal in that state. I also think it's part of why Bowden is still hated there but I digress.

Come to think of it, that's probably part of the reason they see GT as being so important to them.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That didn't stop Auburn from jumping ship from Russell years ago (under Bowden). IIRC, their defection meant layoffs at the AL-based company which was a huge deal in that state. I also think it's part of why Bowden is still hated there but I digress.

Come to think of it, that's probably part of the reason they see GT as being so important to them.

Auburn dislike for Russell had to be really bad because they signed with New Balance before going to Under Armour. Like Dtm said, I expect it to be UA with deal in the 10yr/ $75-90mil range and personally, I would prefer UA because we be a Tier 1 school (meaning we would premiere there new technology) we cant be that with Nike. Also the newest face of UA Football is.... you guessed it Baybay Thomas. So that is great tie in and would make for a great commercial.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Auburn dislike for Russell had to be really bad because they signed with New Balance before going to Under Armour. Like Dtm said, I expect it to be UA with deal in the 10yr/ $75-90mil range and personally, I would prefer UA because we be a Tier 1 school (meaning we would premiere there new technology) we cant be that with Nike. Also the newest face of UA Football is.... you guessed it Baybay Thomas. So that is great tie in and would make for a great commercial.

Man I hope you and my man @dtm1997 are right. That would be tremendous for us especially in basketball. Hey, the sneaker game nonsense isn't right IMHO but it's not going away. I'd rather us be in not out.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Aren't the "contracts" in question really only about uniforms?

You can find Russell, Nike, UA, etc. GT clothing and the ilk in various places.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Aren't the "contracts" in question really only about uniforms?

You can find Russell, Nike, UA, etc. GT clothing and the ilk in various places.

Yeah but IIUC being a 'Nike' or 'UA' school means more and better merchandise out there. I'm sure each company puts out generic stuff they basically affix logos/colors to whereas they do more for their signature schools.

Also, someone else noted that for UA we'd be a tier 1 school for them or STTE which (based on my meager understanding) is a good thing (i guess?).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yeah but IIUC being a 'Nike' or 'UA' school means more and better merchandise out there. I'm sure each company puts out generic stuff they basically affix logos/colors to whereas they do more for their signature schools.

Also, someone else noted that for UA we'd be a tier 1 school for them or STTE which (based on my meager understanding) is a good thing (i guess?).
Pretty that is common perception and not fact.

Does anyone really think that Nike , UA, adidas, etc. would not put their logo on anything they thought would sell?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pretty that is common perception and not fact.

Does anyone really think that Nike , UA, adidas, etc. would not put their logo on anything they thought would sell?

There has to be some incentive above simply providing uniforms, no?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this is the most recent issue of Sports Illustrated. 10 of the top 20 committed players are changing their shoe affiliation from HS to college. This suggests to me at least that the shoe company thing is not quite as strong as I initially thought, though I think there's no question it's in play.
upload_2015-11-25_10-13-41.png

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Look they sponsor aau teams. They sponsor ncaa teams. They want to send aau players to their ncaa teams to help those teams which in turn gets them more brand pub in television and success of the ncaa team.

Its one of the dirtiest backroom secrets of ncaa ball.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Saw this is the most recent issue of Sports Illustrated. 10 of the top 20 committed players are changing their shoe affiliation from HS to college. This suggests to me at least that the shoe company thing is not quite as strong as I initially thought, though I think there's no question it's in play.
View attachment 1336

All this really says is the crazy amount of xfers will continue