Candid Coaches: Shoe Company influence in recruiting

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't see us going adidas. Their profile appears to be flailing a bit. That said, we should hopefully have some ties to future Atlanta Celtics. Their Class of 2019 team is sponsored by Derrick Favors.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Under Armour has gotten a lot better about design. They use to be big on gaudiness, now they're more understated and minimalistic like Nike...though they still like bright colors.

I actually think UA and GT would be a great apparel and shoe partnership. When I was walking through the Notre Dame bookstore when GT was in South Bend, and thought how great a lot of the apparel would be if it had a "GT" on it instead of "ND". GT could offer UA a lot of great return in other facets outside of just sponsoring a college team.

Will be interesting to see how the Russell situation plays out. I know one thing, GT will get a nice compensation and apparel package, and Russell may not be able to match it this time.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nike had an exclusive negotiating window with Nike that was about to expire. They obviously ponied up the money to keep TX with them.

i don't expect to get anywhere near what some of these deals have been for (we have a football program that is solid, but not seen as a top program and a BB program in remission) but we ought to be able to do alot better than we are now.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nike had an exclusive negotiating window with Nike that was about to expire. They obviously ponied up the money to keep TX with them.

i don't expect to get anywhere near what some of these deals have been for (we have a football program that is solid, but not seen as a top program and a BB program in remission) but we ought to be able to do alot better than we are now.
Totally agree we won't smell Texas money, but I think a 10%-25% discount from Wisconsin might be a solid proxy. They reportedly received ~$90MM over 10 years in compensation & equipment.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree we won't smell Texas money, but I think a 10%-25% discount from Wisconsin might be a solid proxy. They reportedly received ~$90MM over 10 years in compensation & equipment.

You could buy out a lot of underperforming coaches with those kind of numbers!!

Oh, um...not that I'm insinuating anything...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You could buy out a lot of underperforming coaches with those kind of numbers!!

Oh, um...not that I'm insinuating anything...

Oh you ...

I've heard 2017 or 2018, but with the money we'd potentially get from UA, I'd bet moving on sooner is a possibility.

2018 per this ...
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/genrel/081908aab.html
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...Signs-10-Year-Deal-With-Russell-Athletic.aspx

10-year, $20mil deal was actually pretty good back then, no?

Seems a deal with UA, considering the money they're handing out, would indeed be enough to get outta that early.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For those of you more intelligent on this matter than me...what is the hold up on our part?

Relationships? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
A ton of NIKE and UA stuff at the GT bookstore. Not sure if that is foreshadowing. Has been that way for some time now as I'm sure many are aware.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
For those of you more intelligent on this matter than me...what is the hold up on our part?

Relationships? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

I'm not an expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn ... no, but I have to review a lot of different types of contracts/agreements and such for work. My totally uninformed opinion is that we can't know the answer unless we can see the actual terms, etc.

The articles I linked above both mention amenities offered to RA due to the proximity of Tech to their AL-based offices. I have no idea what that means, but it seems to indicate a relationship deeper than simply an apparel supplier. That and the fact that GT is by far the most visible program wearing their gear lets me know that, if there's any way for them to keep us in the deal, they'd certainly exercise all their rights to do so.

It seems so clear that we're basically wasting money staying in the deal so there must be some motivation for us to do so. To avoid a messy legal battle with a desperate plaintiff? We're so close to the end anyway that we feel it's advisable to just let it expire?

Sorry for the non-answer.

Tl;dr:
I have to think there's some mechanism in the deal by which RA can either keep us in the deal or makes it so punitive that we're averse to paying the exit "costs".

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Shaq Mason posted a gift box on Twitter that GT Athletic Dep. sent him recently and it had Under Armour stuff in it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not an expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn ... no, but I have to review a lot of different types of contracts/agreements and such for work. My totally uninformed opinion is that we can't know the answer unless we can see the actual terms, etc.

The articles I linked above both mention amenities offered to RA due to the proximity of Tech to their AL-based offices. I have no idea what that means, but it seems to indicate a relationship deeper than simply an apparel supplier. That and the fact that GT is by far the most visible program wearing their gear lets me know that, if there's any way for them to keep us in the deal, they'd certainly exercise all their rights to do so.

It seems so clear that we're basically wasting money staying in the deal so there must be some motivation for us to do so. To avoid a messy legal battle with a desperate plaintiff? We're so close to the end anyway that we feel it's advisable to just let it expire?

Sorry for the non-answer.

Tl;dr:
I have to think there's some mechanism in the deal by which RA can either keep us in the deal or makes it so punitive that we're averse to paying the exit "costs".

Thanks KG.. Kinda sounds like Russell had us by the balls..