Candid Coaches: Shoe Company influence in recruiting

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This was a great topic.
They asked over 90 college coaches whether they lost a recruiting battle due to a shoe company.
Overall 42% said yes - that number went up as you moved up the chain to higher level conferences and higher level players (4 and 5 stars).

The first example (given without a name) sounds suspiciously like Robert Carter Jr. I'll add that the asst sounds like an asst from UGA.

It is also mentioned that while overall 42% said yes, that many of the 58% said it may not have been the only reason (so I answered no) but it was one of the reasons.

They also talk about how aggressive Under Armour is getting in this space and trying to really control things more.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...oe-company-ever-cost-you-a-players-commitment

RamblinRed

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Definitely sounds like Carter, but didn't we block him from meeting with UGA altogether?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If it's AUB that makes it even more intriguing considering they are an UA school (IIRC). UA blocking guys from one UA school to push him to another UA school is just shady on top of shady.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Forgive my ignorance. Does Russell even make shoes? If this is about shoes making a difference then I assumed Tech was in o.k. shape on that score.

No. Actually, in that game, if you have to ask whether or not they make shoes that speaks volumes.

Even though we're basically a Nike shoe school, we're not a 'Nike school' from the point of view of people who matter in terms of recruiting. IOW, we're not totally out of the game but .... well, we are pretty much totally out of the game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we got half of what Auburn reportedly received for 10 years, we'd be crushing it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When schools are doing this, you know the she company is going to support them. I don't think ND has even gotten any UA kids yet, but you know it's coming.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have no clue on this, maybe some of you more plugged into the "scene" can comment. How is the GT program viewed by the "Big 3" (UA, Nike, Adidas) Shoe companies?

Certainly GT being in the largest Southern market, in a hotbed prep basketball and football talent, a member of the best BBall and rapidly progressing football conference, would make us an attractive "partner" for the shoe companies. Most all of our games are on TV, we host a lot of clinics here.

I would think one of the "Big 3" Shoe companies would make a serious offer to GT once the Russell contract comes to an end.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Techster your points nail it across the board. We have history and/or compete well in football, basketball, baseball, & golf at a minimum to make it attractive and we have other sports that could boost their profile with a major shoe contract. I don't foresee Nike shelling out dough, but I think we provide strategic value to Under Armour on many levels (another ACC school, Atlanta market penetration, etc.). Also, we were Kevin Plank's first collegiate sale.

I don't see how we're not on par with Wisconsin from a collegiate sports history point of view and they just got a boatload.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
@Techster your points nail it across the board. We have history and/or compete well in football, basketball, baseball, & golf at a minimum to make it attractive and we have other sports that could boost their profile with a major shoe contract. I don't foresee Nike shelling out dough, but I think we provide strategic value to Under Armour on many levels (another ACC school, Atlanta market penetration, etc.). Also, we were Kevin Plank's first collegiate sale.

I don't see how we're not on par with Wisconsin from a collegiate sports history point of view and they just got a boatload.
Remind me again when does our contract run out and when could we expect to see a new company? I wouldn't mind having Under Armour at all. I loved what they did with Navy's uniforms and there basketball stuff is really a up and comer. Heck the NBA MVP and Champion is sponsored by Under Armour in Steph Curry. I like his shoes plus they've done well with Auburn and Notre Dames Bball unis.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't care who we end up with as long as we end up with one of them and get the assist in recruiting especially given the market we are in. It would be ideal to work with whichever is affiliated with the Atlanta Celtics

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't care who we end up with as long as we end up with one of them and get the assist in recruiting especially given the market we are in. It would be ideal to work with whichever is affiliated with the Atlanta Celtics
Couldn't agree more..they are Adidas. However, Under Armour is making headway in that area.