awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Lower right
269d4b6db13133d7a17c497af8c09cee.jpg

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Is #22 Steve Sonnenberg?
Young Coach Hyder kneeling, correct? Left of Mark Price.
Lenny Horton, #34.
Jim Wood, #24.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the guy kneeling in the gold warm-up suit is Roger Kaiser. And that is Jim Caldwell on his right shoulder. Phil Wagner ought to be on this poster as well, but I'm not sure which one.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I think the guy kneeling in the gold warm-up suit is Roger Kaiser. And that is Jim Caldwell on his right shoulder. Phil Wagner ought to be on this poster as well, but I'm not sure which one.
I thought that was Kaiser, kneeling from a side view. Wagner is #20?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Jim Thorne is #25, above Salley’s left shoulder. Mike Tomasovich is #54, left side. Dunking.
Isn’t the coach, Roy Mundorff(before my time), between Morrison & Whack?

Last edited:

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dennis Scott. I'm under the assumption that it was supposed to be 3D instead of D3.
He later became known as "3D" but at Tech he was Dennis "Great" Scott! Nobody and I mean NOBODY called a basketball game like Big Al! Cawood was the only college hoops play by play announcer in Al's league.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Al was the greatest. I know I’m biased. Those of you who knew him as a man, can relate. Had the honor of lunches, banquets, and to be in his home. If there was a noble charity for challenged children, he would take part. One of the most loyal gentlemen to his friends. I loved how he turned to the band and waved, while they played his song(typically he was on the air). You have to appreciate him climbing up into the radio booth at the top of Alexander Memorial on a thin ladder during a cold, icy night. Those were pre-ACC days, before going courtside.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Al was the greatest. I know I’m biased. Those of you who knew him as a man, can relate. Had the honor of lunches, banquets, and to be in his home. If there was a noble charity for challenged children, he would take part. One of the most loyal gentlemen to his friends. I loved how he turned to the band and waved, while they played his song(typically he was on the air). You have to appreciate him climbing up into the radio booth at the top of Alexander Memorial on a thin ladder during a cold, icy night. Those were pre-ACC days, before going courtside.
He was the greatest on many levels. He could make a 2 point victory over the University of the South (Sewanee) in 1980, when we won I think 4 games sound like a national title win! Casual sidewalk fans in the state of Georgia tended to be Georgia football fans because of Munson and Georgia Tech basketball fans because of Big Al. That was in a day where you depended on radio to follow your team. Al wasn't necessarily the greatest football announcer even though I still loved listening to him but he was impeccable when it came to hoops. His style of calling the action exactly as it unfolded was much more condusive to basketball than football. Can't believe he's been gone for 22 years now.