Can we flip any UGA commits due to loss of DC & OC?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
While it has been many years since I escaped.....The academic rigors at Tech are pretty much as difficult as they are made out to be. If Collins thinks he can ignore that, especially in today's APR requirements, he is in for a rude awakening.

Wait a minute, I'm confused (as I often am). When did CGC say he could ignore the academic challenges at GT? Or did someone else say he could?

Well sure it's an improvement but Jim Chaney is not worth that.

At Tenn Chaney won't have 5* QBs, great OLinemen, great NFL quality TEs, NFL caliber WRs, and multiple NFL quality RBs

Tenn is depleted as heck, Ohio St is doing well, so Tenn won't get any elite Recruits outta Ohio, UGA, Clemson & Bama are rolling so Tenn won't be making hay here in Ga, and since Tenn HS FB is crap, they might not be back for a long time.

Bad career move by Chaney, he'll get money, but he'll take a hit to his Rep as an OC

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
At Tenn Chaney won't have 5* QBs, great OLinemen, great NFL quality TEs, NFL caliber WRs, and multiple NFL quality RBs

Tenn is depleted as heck, Ohio St is doing well, so Tenn won't get any elite Recruits outta Ohio, UGA, Clemson & Bama are rolling so Tenn won't be making hay here in Ga, and since Tenn HS FB is crap, they might not be back for a long time.

Bad career move by Chaney, he'll get money, but he'll take a hit to his Rep as an OC
Tennessee's recruiting class for 2019 is around #10 which is darn good. From what I've heard on Sportsradio in Knoxville today Chaney wants to eventually live in retirement in Tennessee and wants to finish his coaching career at Tennessee.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow

UTenn is not depleted. Butch Jones actually did a good job recruiting there, just didn't do enough with the talent. So far Pruitt is also, but SEC recruiting is a beast.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
It was referencing someone else's post, not anything specifically said. Should have been more clear and said "were to think"

Got it. Thought I had missed some big news.

More to the point, I doubt he thinks he can ignore it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So a couple of thoughts..

1) Ga Tech is, without a doubt, an elite Institute of higher learning. Our academic programs are globally recognized as some of the best in the world. Full stop. We attract the types of minds who want to be in the best of the best learning environments. The smarter your average classmate is, the harder a curve will be. Saying that the academic environment at GT is not a factor for students selecting to come (be they athlete or otherwise) is foolhardy at best and willfully ignorant at worst.

2) That DOES NOT preclude us from following the model that some other top academic programs follow (expanding the net of our recruiting efforts to find the high intelligence stud athletes read: Sean Beford, Roddy Jones, Calvin Johnson, Malik Rivera, Shaq Mason, the list goes on and on).

We will not now, nor any time in the future sacrifice the academic integrity of GT for a sports program. That is part of why many of our Alumni enjoyed the 3o years, They have us a logical alternative to account for the reduced pool of athletes we could go after. With funding at the level is was under CPJ I still believe he was the best choice for our program. We have brought in a new AD, with a new mindset, and a new coach that the big money guys seem willing to open their check books for. All the better, as we are approaching the $$$ required to have a full on offensive globally to identify, track and recruit against the other "School first" Programs. I am excited to see how we do and believe in the approach CGC has laid out

3) It is a new day in Georgia, with a staff that by all accounts gets it and an administration who is securing and spending the $$$ required to compete at the level we aspire to be at. We had a great coach who said, "Expectations have to meet your commitment" I believe the gap between the two is rapidly narrowing for us. I am excited to see what we can do, and who we become under this new leadership from CGC and ADTS.

Go Jackets!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
S
False slanderous rumors put out by those that don't like GT fans like me providing evidence that GT FB can be a major player recruiting wise, it would undermine their love of 3O FB being the only saving grace for GT FB

Those slanderous rumors directed at me is the GT msg board version of Fake News
So, what is your degree in and did you graduate from GT?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
While it has been many years since I escaped.....The academic rigors at Tech are pretty much as difficult as they are made out to be. If Collins thinks he can ignore that, especially in today's APR requirements, he is in for a rude awakening.
Haven’t seen anything to suggest he’s going to ignore it but rather embrace it and try to use it as a positive

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Just going to add my own two cents since this really rubbed me the wrong way. So I apologize derailing the thread a bit.

In my time at Tech, there were multiple suicides. I’ve had a ton of friends who come into the school happy and ready to learn and then become depressed and overwhelmed. Ive seen several friends who I consider brilliant drop out due to not being able to handle what Tech’s classes give you. I’ve sat through classes and tests where I felt I had no business being there. To argue that the rigor is not as bad as it appears is unfortunately just not true.

Would my friends or myself feel easier if we were at a different school? Who can say. It’s impossible to tell. But I have seen this school defeat more people than I can count.

If the AD is arguing that the narrative is much worse than it is is just simply not true in the current tech environment.

Again, this is just from my experience.

Back to the thread on hand: if a commit wanted to go to uga, in the spirit of the rivalry, I wouldn’t believe they would have want to come here as well. I love seeing our current recruits saying to hell with Georgia when the dwags lose.

Tech has changed a lot since I got out (2002), and I could certainly see it in the times since that I've been involved. I think it's a mixed bag, but certainly the attitude about letting people fail if they can't hack it and not seeing it as part of our responsibility has changed.

I would love to hear more from guys like Flea who have recent experience on the athletic side. I really don't think we can compare the experience of Tech football players to that of general students. That have a whole different set of demands and also a whole different set of supports. From what I see from the outside, it looks like we do a good job of supporting our players academically and recruiting people who are a fit. The academic demands are greater than other places which does interfere with focus on football to some degree, but we aren't going to bring an athlete to Tech whom we haven't taken a good look at for their ability to make it here academically. We still might get it wrong, but we aren't doing so irresponsibly.

But that's just how it looks to me from here. Hopefully someone closer to the program can comment.

UTenn is not depleted. Butch Jones actually did a good job recruiting there, just didn't do enough with the talent. So far Pruitt is also, but SEC recruiting is a beast.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Tenn is no more physical or athletic than Vandy, from my knowledge of CFB ,that makes Tenn a depleted roster

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This BS I hear from everyone that Tennessee is depleted of talent is one of the most laughable things in all of college football. Every Tennessee fan on the planet seems to believe this excuse as well as they cite it for why they keep losing. They recruit on about the same level as Florida and A&M but with worse results. Of course it looks like you have less talent on the field when the coaching is dog ****. We just watched the #4 recruiting class in the country graduate by not even making a bowl game the past 2 years.