Can the Roof detractors please shut up now-

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey now, we're all ecstatic about these last few games but let's not pretend the criticism wasn't warranted.

Also, why we can't have nice things. Let us bask in the glow of today's triumphant victory before you try to tear our hearts, will ya? ;)

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
Yesterday was great performance but Clemson offense has been bad without Watson this year. I still have doubt Roof is a good defense coordinator. If he keeped UGA under 30 it will change my opinion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Probably the best D performance since CPJ has been here. Our D actually scored as many points as our offense (not including special teams). Granted we were helped with Cole Stoudt and not Watson, but we handled the business in front of us.

That said, let's not forget the D had some obvious problems the first half of the season. The criticism of Roof was definitely warranted. At the end of the day, you look at the total body of work, so Roof has a chance to more than make us forget the first half of the season if he can slow UGA's offense and FSU's offense in the ACCCG. :)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I get judging coaches on outcomes. It's the only way fans can really do so. I trust more what other coaches say. And there is a general consensus in the coaching ranks that Roof is a good DC. If CPJ is pleased how can we not be? It ain't like CPJ has a habit of blowing smoke up skirts when appraising our DCs

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
No, roof has done well but I'd like to see this against some good offensive teams. I'm not sure that we wouldn't have had a nail biter with Watson in the game. I'm extremely happy with the outcome, but I also try to be realistic.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't doubt for a second the game woulda been close if Watson stayed in. Don't think that changes the job the coaches are doing tho

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt for a second the game woulda been close if Watson stayed in. Don't think that changes the job the coaches are doing tho
I think paul is doing a fabulous job, but for some reason it took paul going to meetings and talking about our defense publicly to change the scheme. It took too long and it cost us a win or possibly two. Roof and the coaches have done a great job the last 4 weeks though and I hope we continue to improve.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
No, roof has done well but I'd like to see this against some good offensive teams. I'm not sure that we wouldn't have had a nail biter with Watson in the game. I'm extremely happy with the outcome, but I also try to be realistic.

Dude there is NO way in hell Watson would have survived that whole game with the licks he was taking, our guys came out ready to make him pay a toll for his yards

Animal02

Banned
I think paul is doing a fabulous job, but for some reason it took paul going to meetings and talking about our defense publicly to change the scheme. It took too long and it cost us a win or possibly two. Roof and the coaches have done a great job the last 4 weeks though and I hope we continue to improve.

You assume that CPJ had no influence on the "bend, don't break" scheme used earlier in the season after it became apparent in the 1st game how weak the D was.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Dude there is NO way in hell Watson would have survived that whole game with the licks he was taking, our guys came out ready to make him pay a toll for his yards
Okay just keep wearing your gold tinted glasses and get mad at anyone that goes against our team in the slightest bit, that's fine.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
You assume that CPJ had no influence on the "bend, don't break" scheme used earlier in the season after it became apparent in the 1st game how weak the D was.
No I assume he wasn't lying when he said "I don't usually go to defensive meetings, I let them handle it... Etc." I love GT but some of you just don't have the ability to see reality whatsoever.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the past few weeks I have posted that I'd like to see Roof be our next HC; whenever CPJ is ready to retire.

He is a GT man who has real passion for GT. A Black Watch captain. To me, CFB is about tradition and passion. Nothing better than a former player coming back to his alma mater and doing well. Roof has learned a lot in his travels; including HC at Duke. And what we see is that he continues to evolve and adjust.

I respect your opinion but my opinion is that I don't think CPJ talking publicly about the D being a problem had anything to do with the change. The things CPJ talked about had to already be in the works or CPJ would never have mentioned them. Of course CPJ had to talk about the D. With a better D we would be undefeated. But the D we have is playing with intensity and passion and getting better. That's all we can ask.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's my theory: we overreacted to GA Southern and adjusted our schemes to be much more conservative. After all...if GA Southern could beat us deep who couldn't, amirite?

We were rewarded against VPI and Miami but there were troubling signs against Miami.

We lost to Duke but could feasibly blame that on offensive futility.

We lost to UNC and it was no longer possible to think we were doing things the right way.

So long story short I think the d adjustments helped us beat VPI and Miami but hurt us against Duke and UNC. It's hard to say we lost more games than we should have based on defensive scheme. The Duke loss hurts the most.