Can the Roof detractors please shut up now-

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
on Roof. I have been very critical of the overall defense playing a soft and back pedal defense. We will not know if that is all on Roof or possibly the HC. That issue has been fixed.

Also we sure lost a lot of DL talent this last off season - was that a good thing - at first it appeared to be a disaster. Now with the positive lockeroom effect in full force it looks like we have a good foundation on which to build. Could coach have called out some guys on notice.

What i do know is all last year and all this year the defense plays better and more effectively as the game goes on which I feel is good in game coaching.

Further - this whole year def coach has regularly played true freshman in spurts. At first in less critical spots - and now in critical spots - Antonio Simmons contributed well in the Clemson game, as have the freshman db

But what really gets me excited. He is letting the defense form up around tough, very quick somewhat undersized line backer. Kind of reminds me of a mlb we had in the early 80's. Now we only need a bell cow on the edge. Could that be JDH or some of the incoming freshmen? could be the foundation year for the new black watch defense and the next few years could be special.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Roof has a strong resume. He is a good defensive coach by most measures. Is he a great DC? I dunno. But there are other factors to think about. He chose to be at GT. He is not looking to go to a bigger name school. He is a strong recruiter. It would appear that he and PJ have a good relationship. If he is kept in place to recruit and coach, he will upgrade our defense. We will probably always be a stronger offensive team, but if we combine a good defense with PJ's offense, there is no limit.