Can the Roof detractors please shut up now-

Animal02

Banned
Here's my theory: we overreacted to GA Southern and adjusted our schemes to be much more conservative. After all...if GA Southern could beat us deep who couldn't, amirite?

We were rewarded against VPI and Miami but there were troubling signs against Miami.

We lost to Duke but could feasibly blame that on offensive futility.

We lost to UNC and it was no longer possible to think we were doing things the right way.

So long story short I think the d adjustments helped us beat VPI and Miami but hurt us against Duke and UNC. It's hard to say we lost more games than we should have based on defensive scheme. The Duke loss hurts the most.

And the Puke game we were playing against 15 at times.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Some have very selective memories and make excellent revisionists. Example, go back to the Ga Southern game to the play where we got burned on the big run that made it 14-7 us. We blitzed the LB (Marcordes), and GSU ran right through the spot he vacated. We were giving up too many big plays against Wofford, Tulane and GSU early on. Could have been a factor as to why Roof wasn't so Tenuta-like blitz happy like y'all would've liked. Bottom line is with next to NO DL DEPTH, his arguably best DT out against Clemson, true freshmen all over the depth chart, Roof's defense turned up a gem. And some of you are so anti-Roof, you don't want to give him the credit he deserves for that? You think it was all Watson going down? Stoudt has looked mediocre against other teams, but we made him throw 3 picks/2 pick sixes.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was very complimentary and seemed genuinely pleased with the defense.
He should be...thought for awhile Clemson was going to have a great day but then db section tookover...Ted is doing the best he can with smoke and mirrors.So far he has dialed up a pass rush by backers at the right time.......give him some talent and we will see what he can do.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday was great performance but Clemson offense has been bad without Watson this year. I still have doubt Roof is a good defense coordinator. If he keeped UGA under 30 it will change my opinion.
Really? Under 30 is where the bar is?

UGa is averaging 42 points per game - 7th in the country. They've scored less than 30 once this year.

No, the bar is holding them to one less point than we score.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Some have very selective memories and make excellent revisionists. Example, go back to the Ga Southern game to the play where we got burned on the big run that made it 14-7 us. We blitzed the LB (Marcordes), and GSU ran right through the spot he vacated. We were giving up too many big plays against Wofford, Tulane and GSU early on. Could have been a factor as to why Roof wasn't so Tenuta-like blitz happy like y'all would've liked. Bottom line is with next to NO DL DEPTH, his arguably best DT out against Clemson, true freshmen all over the depth chart, Roof's defense turned up a gem. And some of you are so anti-Roof, you don't want to give him the credit he deserves for that? You think it was all Watson going down? Stoudt has looked mediocre against other teams, but we made him throw 3 picks/2 pick sixes.
Stoudt was less than mediocre but ......his thows were not hurried but..........we had the coverage down and were in right place at right time.........DABO stayed too long with him and for that I thank him.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
For the past few weeks I have posted that I'd like to see Roof be our next HC; whenever CPJ is ready to retire.

He is a GT man who has real passion for GT. A Black Watch captain. To me, CFB is about tradition and passion. Nothing better than a former player coming back to his alma mater and doing well. Roof has learned a lot in his travels; including HC at Duke. And what we see is that he continues to evolve and adjust.

I respect your opinion but my opinion is that I don't think CPJ talking publicly about the D being a problem had anything to do with the change. The things CPJ talked about had to already be in the works or CPJ would never have mentioned them. Of course CPJ had to talk about the D. With a better D we would be undefeated. But the D we have is playing with intensity and passion and getting better. That's all we can ask.
Godsey will be our next head coach

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I get judging coaches on outcomes. It's the only way fans can really do so. I trust more what other coaches say. And there is a general consensus in the coaching ranks that Roof is a good DC. If CPJ is pleased how can we not be? It ain't like CPJ has a habit of blowing smoke up skirts when appraising our DCs

the point here is he wasn't pleased at all and actually had to get involved to help dictate changes in scheme. Paul did this after the UNC game. And the changes are obvious on tape. Totally obvious as are the results.

if Roof keeps this scheme up, and continues to grow it, I will support roof. If he reverts back to his early year crap...i will not. Its a result based world....

Animal02

Banned
Go back and look at the 3 INTs, All of them came from the film work the coaches and players put in along with the players physical abilities! All resulted from reading their keys and reacting to what they saw. You don't see that unless the players are being coached up!

At this point in the season.......there is a lot more film to study and work with.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Go back and look at the 3 INTs, All of them came from the film work the coaches and players put in along with the players physical abilities! All resulted from reading their keys and reacting to what they saw. You don't see that unless the players are being coached up!
No question about that ....when he came in I figured to keep his skills revalant he would throw short and screen us but thank goodness they threw the deep out.Yes give credit we where were there where we were supposed to be ....good defense Teddy.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If Roof can get consistently decent defenses over the next few years then he will be our next head ball coach imo

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Would any of us have wanted to take CTR's job with the roster situation he was handed at the beginning of this season? There have been some rough moments this season and some really good ones, however, if you remember, many of us were worried we wouldn't even be able to finish the season (in competitive fasion-not literally) with as little depth as we had starting out. When looking at it through that lens, it is hard to be too critical of the job Roof has done.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Have to love what we have seen the last few weeks just from a X and O standpoint... Went from standing back and taking the blows to dishing them out.

PJ Davis has been hell....had 13 tackles yesterday.

DJ White has made big plays every week.

Golden and Milton with two huge plays...Milton played good all game.

I was impressed with Antonio Simmons yesterday as well.

D now has 4 TDs in 2 games.