Can Georgia Tech win a National Championship with CPJ?

Can Georgia Tech win a national championship with Coach Paul Johnson?

• Yes

Votes: 187 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 53 22.1%

• Total voters

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I had to say no And not because of PJ and this offense. Get us into a playoff setting and no one wants to see us. It's more because if the lack of interest in the Institution. Lack of funds for coaching, branding, more majors and whatever else it takes to get our name out there and more staff to help with it. I never thought 8 years ago Clemson would ever win one but with an unlimited bank roll and a hell of a staff around Dabo they did. And I can't see them slowing down
So, yea I think we could with him as our coach but until the school gets 100% behind the program. No.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree the question is wrong. I dont think there is any coach who can win one here today. Sorry. But I just dont. Things need to change asap for that to happen. The level of building a talent pool and consecutive years of getting the talent that is needed tech simply cannot do.

30 years ago was different. For me today. No way.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If we can catch lightening in a bottle one special season and get say a top 30 defense to go with a '14-esque offense then hell yes! Not if but when the playoffs are expanded there will likely be a lot less prep time which would be great for us

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I remember the same kind of thing being argued about when Bobby Ross took over. Everybody expected him to get us to where he got Maryland: a steady 8 - 10 game winner. Nobody expected 1990. It was a combination of a great OL, a good QB, a whole bunch of recruiting risks that paid off, and sheer bum luck.

The last two were most important. Who expected Rodriguez, Merchant, and Lester would lead the best corps of WRs in Tech history? Who expected real reaches like Coleman, Rudolph, and Tiggle to turn out to be world beaters? Or that Sisson would be such a good kicker? The answer in all cases is Bobby Ross, who had the best recruiting eye ever at Tech. As to the sheer bum luck: we played well in the Thrilla, but we also had more then our share of luck.

We can win an NC with Coach. We can do it, imho, even without strong institutional support. It will take what happened in 1990. We were close to that in 2014. I see no reason why it can't happen again.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll agree question is phrased a little, I don't know, "biased". Can GT win a NC...Is it possible? Sure a perfect season can happen. "That's why they play the games." But I certainly wouldn't put money on it or put that on the list of realistic goals for GT. Frankly I think it's foolish for any fan to place expectations on an achievement only 1 team in the nation will attain.
Take the Falcons this year... Do we expect them to win the Super Bowl? Whoa, tap the brakes there fellah -- let's just be happy with every playoff win from here on out. If they can pull it off, the high will be that much sweeter.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember the same kind of thing being argued about when Bobby Ross took over. Everybody expected him to get us to where he got Maryland: a steady 8 - 10 game winner. Nobody expected 1990. It was a combination of a great OL, a good QB, a whole bunch of recruiting risks that paid off, and sheer bum luck.

The last two were most important. Who expected Rodriguez, Merchant, and Lester would lead the best corps of WRs in Tech history? Who expected real reaches like Coleman, Rudolph, and Tiggle to turn out to be world beaters? Or that Sisson would be such a good kicker? The answer in all cases is Bobby Ross, who had the best recruiting eye ever at Tech. As to the sheer bum luck: we played well in the Thrilla, but we also had more then our share of luck.

We can win an NC with Coach. We can do it, imho, even without strong institutional support. It will take what happened in 1990. We were close to that in 2014. I see no reason why it can't happen again.

The difference in that day and age was the fragmented nature of the conferences and the relative weakness of the ACC. In 1990, the ACC was not a great conference. This was before conference expansion round 1 (FSU), round 2 (VT, Miami, BC) and round 3 (Pitt, Louisville, Cuse). Maryland and Duke were better than they are today, but they weren't world beaters by any stretch of the imagination. Likewise, I think we were one of the first teams to really recruit beyond a regional basis. Ross O'Leary and Friedgen had recruiting ties in the northeast and up the atlantic seaboard, which were, from what I gathered at the time, fairly underrecruited areas, so it was much easier to pull diamonds in the rough out. Likewise, they recruited a lot of prep schools, which were fairly underrecruited too. Additionally there wasn't that pesky APR hanging over their head so they could hide marginal students.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Not against an Alabama no.
Nick makes you one dimensional, he takes away one of your strong attributes. Sense GT only have one that's its really good at then I would say no.

Plus GT would need to improve its commitment from the administration.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
I was talking with a friend of mine who happens to be a sidewalk fan of the University (sic) of Georgia. We were talking football and he said he didn't think that Tech could win a championship with CPJ in charge. He went on to comment that maybe Tech fans are fine with 8 or 9 wins a year but that he didn't think that was good enough.

I defended CPJ by bringing up the usual talking points about Tech itself being the limiting factor, not the offense we run. I also told him that I was happy with an average of 8 or 9 wins and that CPJ has exceeded that many wins a couple of times already.

Anyway, so I've been thinking about that conversation more than I should have. I am convinced that, indeed, Georgia Tech CAN win a national championship with CPJ in charge. It will take a little luck, but don't all champions not named Alabama have a little luck along the way? If we won the ACC with one loss, which I think is entirely possible, we should make the playoffs and then in a one game at a time scenario, I really like our chances.

Yes, the Kool-Aid is strong this morning. But I really think with just a few really good players at some key positions added to the players we normally recruit, in a year with good chemistry and a lot of experience on the field, we could do this. I think we could do it in 2018 if we land a couple of studs by then.

What say ye?

Does your idiot friend think that U[sic]GA can win a national championship with Smart at the helm? That's all you need to know about his credibility right there.

If our defense improves, we could be deadly. There is no better GameDay coach in the country than Paul Johnson.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Will he? Most likely not.

Can he with just about a 15% talent bump? Most definitely

With that said, he is the only one I know that if you get his talent level to within 20-25% of the top teams, he can beat them. Most coaches cannot overcome that kind of talent disparity, unless the other team lays a large EGG. Problem is that his currently talent deficiency gap, compared to say Bammer, LSU or Clem's Son, is more like 35-45%, in my opinion. I don't see this changing any time soon.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Sure we can. Just look at 2014, for instance. Say Errin Joe doesn't jump early at UNC (I used that as an example, but one of twelve other things could have happened, as well) and then we recover that onside against FSU and go win the game. That puts us at 12-1 and ACC champions. We would have made the playoff.

Even with the politics that are involved, the CFP has made it possible for just about any Power 5 conference champ with one loss or less to win the thing...and when it expands, it becomes even more possible.

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
In 2011, Bama gave up 300+ yds rushing, 340+ yds, 7.41 ypp to GS.

True, but i'd also think that Alabama would be more "up" for a playoff game against us than a game against Georgia Southern.

We've seem to have a pretty good litmus test every year for our Playoff chances: Clemson. We've got to get more competitive in that game again.

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
Not against an Alabama no.
Nick makes you one dimensional, he takes away one of your strong attributes. Sense GT only have one that's its really good at then I would say no.

I do think we've looked better throwing the ball with Thomas. We're not prolific, but we've been effective.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Sure we can. Just look at 2014, for instance. Say Errin Joe doesn't jump early at UNC (I used that as an example, but one of twelve other things could have happened, as well) and then we recover that onside against FSU and go win the game. That puts us at 12-1 and ACC champions. We would have made the playoff.

Even with the politics that are involved, the CFP has made it possible for just about any Power 5 conference champ with one loss or less to win the thing...and when it expands, it becomes even more possible.
Ahhh yes. I remember telling my wife that false start on Joe will cost us the game. I mean, it didn't but it was huge. And scoring to fast on the reverse (Which I wish we ran more of)
The FSU game all I can think of is there TE getting behind us for big play after big play in the first half. Stop that once, we probably win.